The iPod + iPhone Year in Review 2007
Click Below to Read the Rest of This Article:
We ended our 2006 iPod Year in Review with some predictions: 2007 would be the year when the 100 millionth iPod was sold, iTunes Store sales would grow in the billions rather than millions, and the year would start with exciting new hardware and accessory releases. We also called out two possible iPhone release scenarios, suggested that Apple TV (then iTV) would need some help at its $299 price point, and discussed good and bad potential outcomes for iPod and accessory development.
With less than two weeks remaining in 2007, we can say with mixed emotions that this has been an eventful year, and one that saw most of last year’s predictions—good and bad—come true. For Apple, this was another year of soaring iPod sales, continued growth of the iTunes Store’s market share, and the release of new devices that broadened the company’s presence in homes and pockets across the world. Most impressively, Apple succeeded in stunning the entire cellular phone industry with the iPhone, despite its complete lack of prior experience in designing or selling phone equipment. And the company’s retail stores became more numerous and yet more crowded than ever, expanding further overseas and offering even more products online.
But it was also a year that brought unusually long waits and surprising disappointments to Apple fans, as the company broke with past traditions, pre-announcing two of its biggest products months in advance, and releasing others with bugs and other undisclosed limitations that crippled their appeal. More jolting were moves by Apple’s audio and video content partners to exit or cut support for the iTunes Store, and positive reviews for new Microsoft media players and iTunes competitors. A picture that once looked ever-increasingly rosy had once again become muddled with uncertainty.
Once again, we’ve covered the key factual events of the year in an extended iPod history feature (A Brief History of iPod) on page 116 of our 2008 iPod + iPhone Buyers’ Guide; instead, this Year in Review takes a more opinionated look at what went right and wrong over the past 12 months, finishing with a brief look ahead. Please use the pull-down menus to access the various sections of this article, and add your comments and opinions using the comments box below.
Click Below to Read the Rest of This Article:
- Quickly And Wisely Reducing Your iCloud Footprint
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of Apple TV 6.0
- Easing Your Transition To iOS 7
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 7.0
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About Apple’s 2013 iPhone Lineup, 5c + 5s
- iOS 7: Maps, Passbook, Compass + Notes
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Apps: Assassin’s Creed Pirates, Doctor Who: Legacy, Double Dragon Trilogy + Foursquare 7.0
- Apple patent reveals ‘smart dock’ for Siri use
- Bluetooth 4.1 announced as free update for 4.0 devices
- Apple and China Mobile make iPhone deal?
- Startup uses iBeacon to allow Newsstand publication access
- Honda announces iPhone-powered car touchscreen
- Report: Apple may launch two 12.9-inch iPads
- Apps: Jetpack Joyride 1.6, The Lonely Beast 123, LoryStripes + Shazam 7.2
- Mophie debuts Powerstation XL battery pack
- China Mobile subsidiary briefly takes iPhone preorders
- Wren V5BT Bluetooth Wireless Speaker
- Incipio offGRID Pro Battery Case for iPhone 5
- Belkin WeMo Insight Switch
- STM Studio for iPad Air
- Urban Armor Gear Composite Case for iPad Air
- Belkin LEGO Builder Case for iPad mini
- Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard Cover for iPad Air
- Incipio Atlas ID for iPhone 5s
- JBL Spark Wireless Bluetooth Stereo Speaker
- IK Multimedia iRig KEYS PRO
- iMessages come in from email address instead of phone number
- Passcode entry field not appearing on iPhone
- Custom ringtones assignments don’t sync to iCloud
- Resuming incomplete iCloud backups
- Adding multiple photos to a Shared Photo Stream
- Quality of videos sent via Messages
- Text messages being delivered to wrong iPhone
- Problems logging in to iTunes Store
- Receiving FaceTime calls on multiple devices
- iOS 7: Incorrect display of Company-only contacts