The iPod Year in Review 2005: Year of the iPod, or iPod Decade?
Was 2005 the "Year of the iPod?" Or are we in the middle of "The iPod Decade?" Share your thoughts in the Comments thread below!
We knew that Apple Computer had done well for itself when we published last year's iPod Year in Review 2004, but you need only skim that earlier article to see how much things have changed for the better. With only a few exceptions, Apple has trumped all expectations for 2005, evolving the iPod, trivializing its competitors, enhancing iTunes and the Music Store, and expanding iPod retail availability on a global scale to meet ever-increasing demand.
We've already covered this year's factual milestones in our Brief History of iPod & iTunes feature, so now we'll take a more opinionated look back at what went right and wrong in 2005, then look forward to what is likely to happen in 2006. Use the "Click here for the story" buttons below to read as much or as little as you prefer.
iPod & iTunes: Chasing Remaining Niches (Click here for the story.)
Growth of the Accessory Market (Click here for the story.)
Putting Competitors Out to Pasture (Click here for the story.)
What's Next? (Click here for the story.)Year of the iPod? The iPod Decade?
This has been a great year for the iPod, iTunes, and fans of Apple products - so much so that it's tempting to call 2005 "the year of the iPod." But with each passing month, we're feeling increasingly confident that we're in the middle of the "the iPod Decade," a dynasty that's not slowing down yet, and only going to get more popular in 2006.
Do you feel the same? Different? Let us know in the Comments section below. We hope you've enjoyed this look back at 2005, and we're looking forward to sharing our excitement in an even more amazing 2006.
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About Apple’s HomeKit
- The Booths of the iProducts Marketplace at CES 2015
- Hands-on with CarPlay at CES 2015
- iLounge announces its CES 2015 Best of Show Awards
- Five Things to Watch for at CES 2015
- Last-Minute Holiday Gift Guide for 2014
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Apple announces ‘Spring Forward’ event for March 9
- Brikk unveils opulent Apple Watch line priced up to $75,000
- Apple Maps adds new third-party data providers
- Apple ordered to pay $532.9m in iTunes patent infringement case
- Apple reportedly streamlining Genius Bar experience
- Report: Apple acquires Camel Audio
- VISA ‘tokenization’ may speed Apple Pay EU deployment
- Apple releases iOS 8.3 beta 2 to developers
- Toyota currently has ‘no plans’ to adopt CarPlay in the US
- iLounge Weekly arrives Monday, sign up now
- Olloclip Macro 3-in-1 Lens, Telephoto + CPL Lens for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- ExoLens Professional Photography System for iPhone 6
- Incipio offGRID Shine for iPhone 6
- Seidio Obex for iPhone 6
- RooCase GlacialTough for iPhone 6 Plus, VersaTough for iPhone 6 + 6 Plus
- CM4 Q Card Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- iWalk Extreme Trio 10,000 Universal Battery
- NewerTech NuGuard KX for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Incipio Clarion and Faraday for iPad Air 2
- iWalk Rugged Power Case for iPhone 6
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?
- How do I consolidate iTunes purchases into a single account?
- How can I more easily Handoff a web page from my Mac to my iPhone?
- What can I actually share with Family Sharing in iOS 8?
- How do I find and remove only downloaded tracks with iTunes Match?