The iPod Year in Review 2005: Year of the iPod, or iPod Decade?
Was 2005 the "Year of the iPod?" Or are we in the middle of "The iPod Decade?" Share your thoughts in the Comments thread below!
We knew that Apple Computer had done well for itself when we published last year's iPod Year in Review 2004, but you need only skim that earlier article to see how much things have changed for the better. With only a few exceptions, Apple has trumped all expectations for 2005, evolving the iPod, trivializing its competitors, enhancing iTunes and the Music Store, and expanding iPod retail availability on a global scale to meet ever-increasing demand.
We've already covered this year's factual milestones in our Brief History of iPod & iTunes feature, so now we'll take a more opinionated look back at what went right and wrong in 2005, then look forward to what is likely to happen in 2006. Use the "Click here for the story" buttons below to read as much or as little as you prefer.
iPod & iTunes: Chasing Remaining Niches (Click here for the story.)
Growth of the Accessory Market (Click here for the story.)
Putting Competitors Out to Pasture (Click here for the story.)
What's Next? (Click here for the story.)Year of the iPod? The iPod Decade?
This has been a great year for the iPod, iTunes, and fans of Apple products - so much so that it's tempting to call 2005 "the year of the iPod." But with each passing month, we're feeling increasingly confident that we're in the middle of the "the iPod Decade," a dynasty that's not slowing down yet, and only going to get more popular in 2006.
Do you feel the same? Different? Let us know in the Comments section below. We hope you've enjoyed this look back at 2005, and we're looking forward to sharing our excitement in an even more amazing 2006.
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of Apple TV 5.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 6.1
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 11
- The Complete Guide to Transferring your Content to a new iPhone, iPad or iPod touch
- The Complete Guide to FaceTime + iMessage: Setup, Use, and Troubleshooting
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iBooks 3
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Report: iOS 7 ’ black, white, and flat all over’
- Apple WWDC Keynote set for June 10
- Apps: Foursquare 6.2, Hyper Breaker Turbo, Pandora 4.3 + Shazam 6.0
- Apple patent application details interactive AirPlay, TV
- Report: iWatch pushed to late 2014?
- Griffin releases iPhone 5 Survivor + Catalyst Waterproof Case
- OtterBox acquires LifeProof
- LifeProof debuts Frē case for iPad mini
- Logitech debuts Wired Keyboard for iPad
- New Apple online store design alters focus, hides deals
- C4 Electronics Dolry HiFi Stone 30-Pin AirPlay Adapter
- Boombotix Boombot Rex Bluetooth Wireless Speaker
- Nuu Splash Portable Waterproof Bluetooth Wireless Speaker
- Scosche boomBottle Weatherproof Sport Wireless Speaker
- HMDX Jam Plus Bluetooth Wireless Speaker
- Fitbit Flex Wireless Activity & Sleep Wristband
- Cambridge Audio Minx Air 100 + 200 Bluetooth + AirPlay Wireless Speakers
- Mophie Juice Pack Plus for iPhone 5
- Ultimate Ears UE Boom
- Trü Protection Trü-Fit Anti-Glare Film Set
- iMessages showing as Delivered when iPhone is out of coverage
- Inability to use Find My Friends without a passcode
- Calendar info disappears after iCloud restore
- Remove old iCloud backup after restoring to a new iPhone
- Setting up a ringtone in iTunes
- Using a Wi-Fi hard drive with an iPad
- Backing up and restoring an iPod classic
- Can’t restore iPod touch without passcode
- Retaining older versions of Apps during an iOS Restore
- Can’t eject iPod nano without closing Firefox