The iPod Year in Review 2005: Year of the iPod, or iPod Decade?
Was 2005 the "Year of the iPod?" Or are we in the middle of "The iPod Decade?" Share your thoughts in the Comments thread below!
We knew that Apple Computer had done well for itself when we published last year's iPod Year in Review 2004, but you need only skim that earlier article to see how much things have changed for the better. With only a few exceptions, Apple has trumped all expectations for 2005, evolving the iPod, trivializing its competitors, enhancing iTunes and the Music Store, and expanding iPod retail availability on a global scale to meet ever-increasing demand.
We've already covered this year's factual milestones in our Brief History of iPod & iTunes feature, so now we'll take a more opinionated look back at what went right and wrong in 2005, then look forward to what is likely to happen in 2006. Use the "Click here for the story" buttons below to read as much or as little as you prefer.
iPod & iTunes: Chasing Remaining Niches (Click here for the story.)
Growth of the Accessory Market (Click here for the story.)
Putting Competitors Out to Pasture (Click here for the story.)
What's Next? (Click here for the story.)Year of the iPod? The iPod Decade?
This has been a great year for the iPod, iTunes, and fans of Apple products - so much so that it's tempting to call 2005 "the year of the iPod." But with each passing month, we're feeling increasingly confident that we're in the middle of the "the iPod Decade," a dynasty that's not slowing down yet, and only going to get more popular in 2006.
Do you feel the same? Different? Let us know in the Comments section below. We hope you've enjoyed this look back at 2005, and we're looking forward to sharing our excitement in an even more amazing 2006.
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About Apple’s HomeKit
- The Booths of the iProducts Marketplace at CES 2015
- Hands-on with CarPlay at CES 2015
- iLounge announces its CES 2015 Best of Show Awards
- Five Things to Watch for at CES 2015
- Last-Minute Holiday Gift Guide for 2014
- Alleged ‘iPad Pro’ photos show second Lightning port?
- Apple expands iPhone trade-in program to non-Apple devices
- Alleged ‘iPhone 6c’ rear shell photos leaked
- Gear section, Disqus comments added to iLounge
- FDA taking ‘hands-off approach’ to regulating Apple Watch
- Apple Watch won’t be sold to walk-in customers at launch
- Cook: ‘Religious freedom’ laws allowing discrimination are dangerous
- iLounge Weekly arrives Monday, sign up now
- Apple retail stores to have very limited Apple Watch stock
- Apple quietly acquiring companies to improve cloud services?
- OORT SmartFinder, SmartLED + SmartSocket
- RooCase Exec Tough for iPhone 6 Plus
- Pronto Smart Remote System
- iWalk Extreme Spartan
- EnerPlex Surfr for iPhone 6
- IK Multimedia iRig 2 Guitar Interface
- PowerSkin Pop’n 3 for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Coogobox Symphony Dock for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- PowerSkin Spare for iPhone 6
- Chil Attraction Jacket for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?