The New shuffle: Seven Facts Worth Knowing
Based on numerous questions from our readers, we’ve put together this short list of new facts on the second-generation iPod shuffle in advance of our upcoming comprehensive review. Enjoy!
(1) Packaging: The second-generation iPod shuffle comes in a clear hard plastic box that’s identical in size and shape to the ones used for second-generation iPod nanos; all that’s different is the white card stock insert, the manuals, and the accessories.
(2) Lights: Wondering about indicator lights? Apple has hidden them in pinhole-sized dots on the top and bottom right sides of the new shuffle. But instead of using one light to show you battery status and the other to indicate the shuffle’s responses to commands or synchronization, both of the new lights flash at the same time and tell you the same thing.
(3) Battery: Since there’s no battery check button on the new shuffle, you can check the shuffle’s battery charge only by flipping the power off and then on again. The indicator will flash green for a “good” charge, amber for a “low” charge, red for a “very low” charge, or nothing for no charge.
(4) Clip: There is no obvious way to remove the rear clip - it does not use an exposed, easily removable pin. And it’s thicker and a little larger than the clip found in Apple’s iPod Radio Remote, though otherwise very similar. You may wonder if the clip is really made from metal, or from coated plastic.
(5) Size and Build: Though the new shuffle does indeed inspire “wow, that’s small” reactions from first-time viewers, it’s actually thicker and a hair wider than the current-generation iPod nano. Its metal casing feels substantial and strong in your hand; the aluminum appears to be at least as thick as the nano’s shell.
(6) Earphones: It comes with Apple’s old, less impressive earphones. We’re not happy about this.
(7) Dock: The new, packed-in dock has no moving parts - the plastic piece in the well appears to be there as a spacer to guarantee that the proprietary charging and syncing headphone port plug (with three white rings) aligns properly with the shuffle’s charging and syncing connector. Apple’s second indicator light - the one on the shuffle’s bottom - is there to be seen when you’ve flipped the shuffle over for docking, and want to see battery or data transfer status.
We’ll have much more on the new iPod shuffle in the very near future.
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- iLounge’s 2014 CES Best of Show Awards: iPad, iPhone, iPod + Mac
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About Apple’s 2013 iPad, Air + mini Lineup
- CE Week 2013: The iPad, iPhone, iPod + Mac Show Report
- iLounge’s 2013 CES Best of Show Awards: iPad, iPhone + iPod Gear
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About Apple’s iPad mini + iPad (4th-Gen)
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Notes from Apple’s Q4 2014 earnings call
- Apple Q4 2014: 39.3M iPhones, 12.3M iPads, 2.6M iPods, $42.1B revenue
- Apple releases Apple TV Software Update 7.0.1
- Apple releases iOS 8.1
- Apple launches iCloud Photos Beta Web Client
- Apple working to cut music subscription prices
- iLounge Weekly arrives Monday, subscribe now
- Apple Store returns, begins taking iPad pre-orders
- Apple updates Pages, Numbers, Keynote for iCloud Drive
- Belkin announces QODE keyboards for iPad Air 2
- PowerSkin Pop’n 2 for iPhone 6/6 Plus
- APC M5BK + M10BK 5000/10000mAh Mobile Power Packs
- ClamCase ClamCase Pro for iPad mini
- IK Multimedia iRig Pads MIDI Groove Controller
- Hex Icon Wallet and Solo Wallet for iPhone 6
- SwitchEasy 0.35, LifePocket + Numbers for iPhone 6
- GE Link Connected LED Bulb + Wink Hub
- Belkin Qode Ultimate Pro Keyboard Case for iPad Air
- Uniq Aircraft Clear for iPhone 6
- STM Harbour for iPhone 6 Plus
- An Easy Guide To Setting Up + Using Apple Pay In iOS 8.1
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About iPad Air 2 + iPad mini 3
- Mind The Gap: What’s iPad’s Role In An iPhone 6 (Plus) World?
- Editorial: Why I Switched To T-Mobile (And You Might, Too)
- The Early Guide To Apple Watch Apps
- iLounge’s Top iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus Case Picks (Fall 2014)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.0
- Multi-Editorial: On Apple’s iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus + Apple Watch
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0
- What’s New in iTunes 12