The New shuffle: Seven Facts Worth Knowing
Based on numerous questions from our readers, we’ve put together this short list of new facts on the second-generation iPod shuffle in advance of our upcoming comprehensive review. Enjoy!
(1) Packaging: The second-generation iPod shuffle comes in a clear hard plastic box that’s identical in size and shape to the ones used for second-generation iPod nanos; all that’s different is the white card stock insert, the manuals, and the accessories.
(2) Lights: Wondering about indicator lights? Apple has hidden them in pinhole-sized dots on the top and bottom right sides of the new shuffle. But instead of using one light to show you battery status and the other to indicate the shuffle’s responses to commands or synchronization, both of the new lights flash at the same time and tell you the same thing.
(3) Battery: Since there’s no battery check button on the new shuffle, you can check the shuffle’s battery charge only by flipping the power off and then on again. The indicator will flash green for a “good” charge, amber for a “low” charge, red for a “very low” charge, or nothing for no charge.
(4) Clip: There is no obvious way to remove the rear clip - it does not use an exposed, easily removable pin. And it’s thicker and a little larger than the clip found in Apple’s iPod Radio Remote, though otherwise very similar. You may wonder if the clip is really made from metal, or from coated plastic.
(5) Size and Build: Though the new shuffle does indeed inspire “wow, that’s small” reactions from first-time viewers, it’s actually thicker and a hair wider than the current-generation iPod nano. Its metal casing feels substantial and strong in your hand; the aluminum appears to be at least as thick as the nano’s shell.
(6) Earphones: It comes with Apple’s old, less impressive earphones. We’re not happy about this.
(7) Dock: The new, packed-in dock has no moving parts - the plastic piece in the well appears to be there as a spacer to guarantee that the proprietary charging and syncing headphone port plug (with three white rings) aligns properly with the shuffle’s charging and syncing connector. Apple’s second indicator light - the one on the shuffle’s bottom - is there to be seen when you’ve flipped the shuffle over for docking, and want to see battery or data transfer status.
We’ll have much more on the new iPod shuffle in the very near future.
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- iLounge’s 2014 CES Best of Show Awards: iPad, iPhone, iPod + Mac
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About Apple’s 2013 iPad, Air + mini Lineup
- CE Week 2013: The iPad, iPhone, iPod + Mac Show Report
- iLounge’s 2013 CES Best of Show Awards: iPad, iPhone + iPod Gear
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About Apple’s iPad mini + iPad (4th-Gen)
- iLounge Weekly arrives Monday, sign up now
- Apple retail stores to have very limited Apple Watch stock
- Apple quietly acquiring companies to improve cloud services?
- Apple planning to release three iPhone models this year?
- Report reveals more details on Apple’s upcoming music service
- Apple adds CNNgo channel to Apple TV
- Apple acquires database company FoundationDB
- Apple releases iOS 8.3 beta 4
- Apple adds Tastemade, TED, Young Hollywood channels to Apple TV
- Source: Italian prosecutors wrap up Apple tax probe
- OORT SmartFinder, SmartLED + SmartSocket
- RooCase Exec Tough for iPhone 6 Plus
- Pronto Smart Remote System
- iWalk Extreme Spartan
- EnerPlex Surfr for iPhone 6
- IK Multimedia iRig 2 Guitar Interface
- PowerSkin Pop’n 3 for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Coogobox Symphony Dock for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- PowerSkin Spare for iPhone 6
- Chil Attraction Jacket for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?