The Next iPod: Our Top Ten Requests (and Yours!) | iLounge Article

Article

The Next iPod: Our Top Ten Requests (and Yours!)

We should be used to it by now, but we still get excited whenever a new iPod is due to be released. All signs point to something happening in the near future - it could be a small, sporty iPod, a high-end video player, or something in-between. While we wait for the official announcement, the big question is: what new features will the fifth-generation “iPod” contain?

While it’s obvious that Apple will continue to enlarge the iPod’s capacity - 80 GB hard iPod-sized drives are already available - and will probably improve battery life, we’ve focused on ten other features that we think would be both useful and marketable in a new iPod. No matter how much people beg for an obscure feature, Apple’s decision to include it will depend largely on the bottom line - and the company’s ability to make it easy to use.

So without further ado, here are the top ten features we’d like to see in the next iPod. Once you’ve looked over the list, add your own suggestions to the comments thread below!

1. User-Replaceable Battery. Until recently, the biggest complaints about iPods were always focused on their batteries: that they don’t last long, both per charge and in overall life. A user-replaceable battery, as found in most portable devices such as cellphones and competing MP3 players, would change the design of the iPod, but allow iPod owners to replace dead or discharged batteries easily. This would not only delight the legions of iPod users who want much longer battery life, but would also sell lots of batteries.

2. Gapless Playback. Another common complaint is that the iPod cannot play back songs without gaps. To be fair, most MP3 players can’t do this either, but it’s still annoying, especially to fans of classical and live music. There’s are workarounds - ripping entire albums as single tracks, or joining tracks together - but these are hacks, since you can no longer view their contents or access individual tracks. This needs to be fixed.

3. Crossfade Playback. Crossfade playback makes songs segue rather than stop and start abruptly; if your playlist is carefully constructed, this makes for a non-stop musical experience. You choose a length for crossfading, in seconds, and the first song fades out for the same number of seconds as the following song fades in. iTunes already does this, so why can’t the iPod? There are technical answers, but a solution needs to be found.

4. More Interactive Entertainment - Downloadable Games. Why not add game play to the iPod? Not just the few simple games that come on the iPod already, but downloadable games, sold inexpensively through the iTunes Music Store, that can be installed and played on the iPod? This may require a bigger screen, but if Nintendo’s hugely popular Game Boys are any example (they are), perhaps not. The biggest challenge here: controls. Apple’s current control scheme is heavily biased towards rotary (wheel) controlled games, which were never as popular as games with joysticks and buttons. iTempest 2000, anyone?

5. An Open Platform. Many software developers and publishers would like to see the iPod become an open platform so they can offer software to extend its functions. But there is both good and bad in this idea. On the pro side, this would quickly allow the iPod to do much more: imagine better PDA-like features, or document security features for backing up files and transferring documents, or other innovations from third-parties. The con side, however, is that the iPod would be like any other platform, and crashes and software incompatibilities would be inevitable. It seems more likely that Apple would choose a very select group of companies to provide iPod software, and not open the platform entirely.

6. Video Playback. Steve Jobs has said that people don’t want to watch videos on a small screen. But he has never said that they don’t want to watch videos on an iPod, especially an iPod with a new form factor. Video seems an obvious extension of the iPod’s capabilities now that iTunes supports video management and playback. But what would a video iPod look like? Here are some concepts submitted by iLounge readers:

7. Radio Receiver and Transmitter. This encompasses several functions. First, a radio receiver (AM/FM) would allow iPod owners to listen to programming other than their own music - it could be nice to be able to listen to sports or news on an iPod from time to time. While satellite radio or DAB (digital audio broadcasting) could be nice, they’re not popular enough to be likely iPod pack-ins. As for FM transmission, this would simplify in-car iPod use. Instead of buying an aftermarket FM transmitter, having one included with the iPod would mean that anyone could use their iPod in a car at any time. We think that Apple’s much more likely to include AM/FM reception than a transmitter, though, because of…

8. Bluetooth and/or WiFi. Bluetooth - specifically the increasingly common Bluetooth 2.0 standard - would allow users to finally get rid of pesky wires and use wireless headphones, a much dreamed-about iPod feature. But there’s more. Built-in Bluetooth discovery would allow iPodders to connect with each other in public places: say, buses, trains, or coffee shops. If there was a way of making contact with that user (say, sending a signal that pops up on their screen), that could turn the iPod into a social device. By comparison, if the iPod had built-in WiFi, it could stream music directly to an AirPort Express, and perhaps allow for wireless syncing with WiFi-enabled computers. The transfer rate would be slower than FireWire or USB2, but unless you have a lot of music to sync, it would be acceptable.

9. Adjustable Equalizer and Support for Custom iTunes EQ Settings. iTunes lets you adjust its own equalizer to your preferred settings, in addition to the presets that it provides, but the iPod doesn’t support custom EQ tuning. Adding support for these custom settings, and providing a custom EQ interface on the iPod, would greatly improve apparent sound quality, allowing users to fine-tune audio to their specific headphones or speakers.

10. Reactive Volume Control. When walking through a city or riding a bus, you’ll hear your music perfectly for a while, then notice that it fades away as background sounds get louder. If the iPod had a reactive volume control capable of detecting ambient sound, it could increase the volume as background noises get louder, and decrease it when ambient sounds get lower. However, this would have to be limited to protect users’ ears; a sudden burst of volume around you (such as a siren or jackhammer) shouldn’t increase the volume of the music more than a few decibels.

Okay, we promised a top ten list, but here’s one more.

11. More Special Edition iPods. Specially engraved iPods may not be all that exciting, but unique casings definitely are. We could easily imagine a Grateful Dead iPod with the band’s signature lightning-bolt skull and accompanying “digital box set” from the iTunes Music Store, a Coldplay iPod or a Rolling Stones iPod. Regardless, any addition to the band-specific model, which has so far only seen a U2 iPod, would be welcome.

« First Looks: iCarrier, Audio Kit, iBoost, Crystal Case

Book CDs won’t appear in audiobook playlist »

Comments

I’ll take a Phish iPod, but will skip the video version. I think that’s what my TV is for. Great list, Gapless Playback is my number one. The photo didn’t get me to buy one, but a gapless 80 gig would make me give up my “plain” 40 gig.

Posted by jonyem in Port Angeles, Washington on June 20, 2005 at 3:08 AM (CDT)

i want a cellphone with the ipod.

oh, wait.

Posted by jaremfan on June 20, 2005 at 3:39 AM (CDT)

How about some sort of search function? You could select the characters and search criteria by scrolling through options displayed as a table on the iPod, sort of like you scroll through the photos on an iPod Photo…this would really be awesome for people (like me) who have biggish libraries, and want to find that one song fast. Apple, you listening?

Posted by Nihal in Melbourne, Australia on June 20, 2005 at 3:58 AM (CDT)

#1
Digital PLAYBACK! YES NO AUDIOPHILE WILL ACCEPT THE IPOD UNTIL THIS IS MET! And it better be true 24bit digital output! this is not an expensive feature and could be incorporated into one of the dock even. In fact, its pretty much unless without a dock because all the devices that would take digital are home devices. People with stereos and hifi equipment would LOVE to see this feature as they could then use their expensive stuff to handle to sound quality.

#2
192hrz DAC.
The DAC on the ipod is not any better than my old Santa Cruz sound card. My M-Audio Revolution or my Older Audigy 2 absolutely smoke my ipod for sound quality. I can hear this difference even on low bit mp3 files such as 128kbps though I usually use 320kbps.

#3
Improve iTunes by getting rid of that god damn quicktime dependent crap and all those hidden ipod services. I don’t use itunes for this very reason. I use ml_ipod for winamp. It does just about everything itunes does in less that 30k and no background processes to take up cpu time and memory. iTunes is boardline bloatware. Its for the newbies!

#4,
Like they said….make the battery
removable…

Posted by lms007 on June 20, 2005 at 5:14 AM (CDT)

Is Apple really going to come out with an 80gb at the next revision? The 60gb Photos haven’t been selling very well…

I, for one, don’t want a removable battery. I would like a better battery, and a cheaper battery replacement service. Perhaps Apple’s industrial design department will be able to miraculously enable a removable battery without adding to the bulk or detracting from the lines of the case, but I doubt it.

Search would be totally cool, as would more custom iPods. I’m not at all looking to upgrade at the moment, but if Apple came out with an Underworld or DJ Shadow iPod, I would snap it up.

Better text functionality. Synching through iTunes, ability to handle larger files, rich text functions, especially on the Photo. And links from text files to photos. Podcasting possibilities would blow up.

Gapless playback. Gapless gapless gapless. I can’t stress this enough.

And would Apple PLEASE get rid of that ridiculous “feature” that pauses the music when the headphones are removed. Many 3rd-party headphones trigger the pause simply by wiggling or twisting in the jack and it DRIVES ME MAD. At least make it an option so I can turn the damn “feature” off.

Posted by listsanddiagrams on June 20, 2005 at 5:47 AM (CDT)

What about the Itunes visualiser displayed on the ipod screen when music is going???
...JUST A THOUGHT!?

Posted by bigluke in australia on June 20, 2005 at 6:06 AM (CDT)

Who needs a replacement battery in a disposable product, how many ipod owners would seriously still have there 3gen ipod when a 6-7th or 8th generation ipod is released? (not many me thinks!)

a good new feature would be a better power indicator, maybe the 5th gen ipod could have a percentage out of 100 for how much battery is remaining

Posted by sharkboy on June 20, 2005 at 7:15 AM (CDT)

you lost me after #3.

Posted by wt McGee in Atlanta, Ga on June 20, 2005 at 7:28 AM (CDT)

#1: I’ll vote for the FM receiver, probably with radio recording capability.

#2: An option to turn off screen after a while would be nice, and power saving.

#3: Flash player. This will boost iPod games, short movies, etc.

I’m not sure about voice recording. Everyone with an iPod will be suspect of recording what I say. :)

The reactive volume control may be cool, but even dangerous. You cross the road, some car honks at you and you just listen to your tune louder.

#4: I would also like my iPod to play stray MP3s.
I want to transfer an album from my home computer to office computer. I can copy MP3s directly to my iPod as I can with every other filetype. But in order to be able to listen to them on the go, I have to add them a second time via iTunes.
A dedicated folder inside iPod, that would enable direct copying of MP3s and displaying them in the iPod playlists, would be great.

Posted by KenGR on June 20, 2005 at 7:38 AM (CDT)

This is probably off topic but i can’t get my i pod to come up on the itunes sources colum. any suggestions?

Posted by nikkayi on June 20, 2005 at 9:11 AM (CDT)

Most DEFINATELY - search feature and gapless playback.

The other feature I’d like to see is for long artist/album names/titles to scroll across the screen like the song titles…I hate the stupid “...” truncation - come on Apple, do it right.  Other players do this - so can you.

I’d also like to see the “total time” of any playlist that I might be playing, be it an album, genre, artist, or a playlist that I made…just a nit noid that I like to have.

Another thing: instead of having the current time or “Now Playing” displayed at the top of the screen, how about the Genre or the name of the playlist that I’m listening to…

One last thing: the ability to add more than 1,000 tracks to the On-The-Go playlists…

Posted by redsoxnation in USA on June 20, 2005 at 9:12 AM (CDT)

Well, I have two first gen iPods, actually, a 5gb (which I use just for audio books - audible rocks in this regard) and a 10gb which has plenty enough space for my music collection.

The only things I think I’d like to see, since I don’t want to play games, watch movies or do anything other than have it focused on music, are:

- a much longer lasting battery. A few hundred hours would be really nice…

- a better way to interface with a car. I’ve tried a bunch of the radio tuner devices (most recently the Belkin) and they universally work terribly for me. I’m *still* using my original cassette adapter, which is just lame.

Oh, one more:

- a second headphone jack would be nice too.

Clearly, I’m not an aggressive power user of my iPod, but I *do* use one or the other almost every day!

Posted by Dave Taylor in Boulder, CO on June 20, 2005 at 10:26 AM (CDT)

Grateful Dead iPod!!!! Maybe the best idea you guys have ever had! This would require gapless playback because, as every deadhead knows, it’s all about the live music.

I think Bluetooth would be the next logical step in the evalution of the iPod as it could also help car integration.

My other request, though not very likely, would be more PDA type features including a touch screen and maybe a newton type of interface that wuold allow the user to take notes, change the calander, and add contacts.

Posted by Zadi99 in Los Angeles on June 20, 2005 at 11:33 AM (CDT)

Bluetooth would be an awesome addition to the iPod, never even thought of it.

Games, ofcourse.

Gapless playback is definitely a must over all.  I listen to alot of Dj mixed albums and have a great build up to a new song suddenly stop is really annoying and kills the whole album.

VIDEO!!  I for one am all for a video feature.  I doubt I would watch movies much at all on the small iPod screen, but that doesn’t mean I’ll hardly use it to watch movies.  What I’m looking forward to is the ability to upload movies, shows, videos, etc. onto my iPod and take them to friends houses and such.  Then plug the iPod into a TV w/ an A/V cable, like you already can on iPod Photos, and watch the movies on a TV.

Posted by LilAlienD in Maryland on June 20, 2005 at 11:58 AM (CDT)

I’m sick and tired of upgrading everytime Apple comes out with another iPod.  I have purchased over a dozen iPods the past 3 years and currently own 3 (60 GB photo, 3rd Gen. 40 GB & 1 GB shuffle).  It is so much work adding songs to an iPod.  I have almost a terabyte worth of music so I have to painstakingly pick & choose what to add.  My wishlist for the next generation iPod is an FM tuner, 80 GB hard drive, video, PDA & WiFi.

Posted by Tchocky in The O.C. on June 20, 2005 at 12:04 PM (CDT)

I’d like to be able to play the time-limited wma files that libraries now use for downloaded audiobooks. I am annoyed that the player with the biggest market share is excluded. My library says it is because Apple does not give them a way to limit the time a file can be used.

Posted by Brent Thompson on June 20, 2005 at 12:22 PM (CDT)

For iPod photos, I would like to search from a screen of thumbnails of album art.
When you add album art to all of your iTunes tracks, I find it much faster to look at the art when scrolling. The art provides more information at a quick glance. Tells you artist, album and tracks once you begin to recognize them.

Posted by jace_ca on June 20, 2005 at 12:30 PM (CDT)

1. Digital output.  Many people would like to connect the iPod directly to another DAC at home.

2. Kill the basic iPods and replace them with a video iPod.  So that way, you have the shuffle, audio (current mini) and video.  The capacity will keep increasing on the mini so that this is no longer a problem.

3. A screen for the shuffle.  The random gimmick only goes so far.  People want something more: the ability to see and select what they play on the shuffle.  I know of several people who would have bought a shuffle if it had a basic display.

Posted by Greg Glockner on June 20, 2005 at 12:49 PM (CDT)

1. Gapless playback, a must have

2. Bluetooth and an optional Bluetooth in-car receiver for integration with the in car audio system, that would rock!

3. Bigger screen to display video and larger album art

and if so…

4. Virtual clickwheel. What I mean is get rid of the fysical clickwheel, make a touch screen the size of the entire device (like in the example pictures above) and project a virtual clickwheel on the screen as soon as it is touched. Touch screen technology should make this possible. Maybe one day I will be sorry I didn’t patent this idea :)

Posted by Ericc B on June 20, 2005 at 6:00 PM (CDT)

Hi - some good earphones that last longer than a couple of months would be great!  Wireless even better!

Posted by namasteipod on June 20, 2005 at 10:06 PM (CDT)

#1 Security fuction similar to how Palm PDA devices work. That would prevent dirtbags who steal an iPod from getting to use one or sell one
#2 SRS WOW sound option, iPod sound is currently bland
#3 Compact Flash card slot so it can be used as a digital wallet. Make it CardBus compliant for fast transfers.
#4 A ‘real’ off switch
#5 Built-In record function with built-in mic and line in with level control and sample rate control for Podcast recording
#6 Ability to show images that go with Audible audiobooks

Posted by MediaBaron on June 20, 2005 at 11:32 PM (CDT)

The ability to update playlists remotely and wirelessly would be nice. Example; the Ipod is hooked to the livingroom entertainment system, I have my laptop, well just about anywhere, If I want to add a track to the running play list I just do it and it plays. Also, the ability to display the Ipod screen on a tv, mirrored not just photos.

Posted by Tristinator on June 21, 2005 at 12:02 AM (CDT)

Reactive volume is one option in a family of choices any one of which would be an improvement.

Simpler would be volume compression/expansion (compansion), which would keep the volume level of the program material more constant.  This wouldn’t adjust for ambient noise, but would let you hear all your music without dropouts once you adjusted the volume to suit a constant level of ambient noise.

More sophisticated than reactive volume would be sound cancellation, as found in the well-known (and expensive) Bose headphones, which actively cancels relatively constant outside noise.  I discovered recently that I cannot use my iPod Shuffle on an airplane—the ambient noise is just too great.  I could get tighter-fitting ear pieces, but this plus sound cancellation, too, would seem to be an ideal solution.

(Somehow, I’ve always been afraid to get deeply seated earphones for use when walking around—I’d probably get absorbed in my music and get hit by a car or something.)

I’ve never heard of reactive volume as you’ve described it, though I know of the other two technologies.  Are there devices you know of that have such a thing?

Posted by curmudgeon in NY on June 21, 2005 at 12:13 AM (CDT)

mediabaron

I may be wrong, but I believe an ipod photo will upload pictures off of a flash card if you use the camera connector and a flash card reader (or put a flash card in your camera). There was a link to a site a few weeks ago about someone experimenting with the camera connector. Among other things, it will let you charge an ipod shuffle and download any pictures you put on it in disc mode.

Posted by jmaurand on June 21, 2005 at 2:42 AM (CDT)

I whole-heartedly agree with the following suggestions:

—gapless playback
—crossfade playback (!)
—80 GB hard drive (I’ve filled my 60GB, and I’d like to have the extra space to store my backups)
—support for iTunes EQ settings
—normalization of volumes

In addition, I’d like the ability to create bookmarks in podcasts.  I listen to long podcasts and I always forget where I’ve left off.  Trying to find where I’m at while I’m driving makes my GF nervous.

I think that user-replaceable batteries would compromise the design and integrity of the iPod.  I like how sturdy it is and, although my heart drops when I drop the iPod, I know it’ll be OK.  With a replaceable battery that might snap off in a fall makes me nervous.  Just improve battery technology so that the life is improved, or make it so that the warranty isn’t voided when a reputable 3rd party replaces the battery and I think users will accept that.

I’m not into video on my iPod.  The screen is too small, but I do like the idea of Flash games and visualizers on the screen, or to turn it off when not needed.

Also, I’m not into wireless anything on my iPod.  If people are unhappy with the battery life now, just immagine how much unhappier they’ll be with it when the large screen or BT/Wi-Fi really drain it.

I like the digital out idea, and the video out.  Let the TV display the movie instead of the iPod screen.  Great idea.

I like the idea of the display and larger capacity for the iPod Shuffle.  People need to get more for their money.  Let us also create on-the-go playlists on our iPod Shuffle (more than 1000 songs, too.)

I hope that Apple is reading and begins to incorporate some of our ideas into future generations of this amazing player.  Constant innovation will lead to further expansion.
POL9A

Posted by Pride Of Lions on June 21, 2005 at 4:02 AM (CDT)

Any idea when a new generation iPod will be realesed?

Posted by soiramk on June 21, 2005 at 7:39 AM (CDT)

-Something like Sony’s InfoLITHIUM technology, which let you see how many minutes of battery life you got left
-Improved battery life
-Bluetooth and WiFi
-Phone
-Video playback on external display (TV/Projector)
-Digital audio output
-Built in, full-sized USB port
-SD-card reader

Posted by Lyot on June 21, 2005 at 7:46 AM (CDT)

I would LOVE a simple way to flag poor rips on the iPod, with some sort of synchronising with iTunes to identify those tracks which need re-ripping.

Bluetooth for sure - i was amazed to find i had to use wired headphones…

Better support for classical music in iTunes - I would especially like to see Apple work with the CD retailers to provide track names and cover art.  There are sooo many wrong entries on the gracenotes database.  And how many ways are there to write Johann Sebastian Bach?

AM/FM receiver would be great.

FM transmitter?  nope.  I have an iTrip but its only marginally satisfactory in the car - the FM band is overcrowded so there is always some interference.

I travel with my iPod but its too bulky to wear.  Add all of the above and make it half the weight and much thinner!

PS: I obviously love my iPod.  Even though I have an IT business which is “all windows” I now connect to my network via a Powerbook…  Who would have thought???

PPS: Who do Sony think they are kidding?  iPod incompatible CDs might just mean unsaleable CDs…  Sour grapes Sony???

Posted by classical on June 21, 2005 at 8:18 AM (CDT)

-gapless!
-space! I want 80GB or more. It would be especially nice if this would come *without* the added price of a color screen.
-digital out
-even higher capacity battery
-a better built-in DAC

Cut all the video & cellphone whatnot, make those into different products.

Posted by Bad Beaver on June 21, 2005 at 8:56 AM (CDT)

* Gapless playback (seems to be the high-ranking request)
* High-capacity battery, user-changeable or not
* My big request is line-in recording.  If not in the iPod itself (which is probably asking too much), sell some kind of input as an accessory or include a line-in in the dock.  Line-out playback is superb; but line-in would feed into the Podcasting craze, allow DJs and musicians to record their own sets, etc.
* Personally, I wouldn’t pay extra for video or Bluetooth or the like.  I don’t even really need an iPod photo.

Posted by PushButtonAction in Atlanta, GA on June 21, 2005 at 11:02 AM (CDT)

Regarding 4, 5 and 6- (downloadable games/open platform/video palyback). All of this is already on iPods thanks to iPod linux. Seriously. I’ve got Tetris on my iPod and can play back videos that I’ve downloaded to it plus there are a dozen or so other applications, like a calculator, thats now available on my iPod thanks to iPod linux (an open platform.. make whatever you want for your iPod!).

iPod linux now installs on every single iPod generation, but the level of compatibility varies between generations (for example you can record audio on the 3rd generation without an iTalk in linux!)—but that doesn’t matter because you can switch back and forth between iPod linux and the regular iPod interface on the fly by simply rebooting the iPod, so there is no reason not to try it!

Check it out:

Linux on 4Gs/Minis/Photos: http://www.ipodlinux.org/4G_Installer

Linux on 3G/2G/1G: http://www.ipodlinux.org/Installation

Enjoy!!!!!

As far as other requests I’d say FIX THE #$*#$*#$&%&#$&#$#@($*($#@$ing rating system interface so that its easy to select a discrete number of stars. Right now its “all or nothing” unless you carefully select 1, 2, 3 or 4 stars. One possible fix would be 1 clockwise/counterclockwise 360 degree revolution on the clickwheel = add/remove 1 star. That way you could rate a song without looking.

Then again.. iPod linux’s player interface may fix this in the future before Apple even gets a chance to :)

Posted by celerityfm on June 21, 2005 at 11:46 AM (CDT)

One of my biggest problems with the iPod is that all the detailed tag info that iTunes invites you to enter is lost on the iPod. The one in particular that gets me is the year. Countless times have I wanted to know (or been asked) what year a particular recording came from. I have it all meticulously filled in for iTunes, wish it was available on the Pod. Maybe, a la iPod photo, pressing the center button while a song is playing would display an info screen, perhaps alongside the album cover. ALSO: perhaps then albums could be listen chronologically? The ability to play all songs/albums from a particular year?

Posted by cobraverde on June 21, 2005 at 12:03 PM (CDT)

Celebrityfm—I installed Linux on my 3G exclusively for line-in recording, and it didn’t work properly.  Do you know if that “bug” has been fixed?

Posted by PushButtonAction in Atlanta, GA on June 21, 2005 at 12:28 PM (CDT)

i’d like a madonna ipod or something like that..

Posted by iamaclogger on June 21, 2005 at 12:51 PM (CDT)

What about a stronger more scratch resistant casing and screen so we can stop wasting extra money on ipod accessories?

Posted by robbiesan in Arlingotn, VA on June 21, 2005 at 1:43 PM (CDT)

As far as the batter issue, why shouldnt the ipod have a replaceable battery? why should consumers have to buy a new 300 dollar ipod whgen they should be able to buy a lithium ion batter or something along those lines? It seems silly that apple would have ever created something without an inexpensive replaceable battery. My only requests are for ipod to catch up with all of the other companies which have taken their product and made it better with more features. There is no reason why it should be the most expensive product on the market with the least features when Apple basically started this musical revolution. Im all about ipods, but unless they can catch up to any of the features their competitors have my next portable mp3 player wont be another ipod.

Posted by robbiesan in Arlingotn, VA on June 21, 2005 at 1:49 PM (CDT)

Just wanna enlist my support for the a) gapless playback and b) bluetooth.  More specifically than just wireless headphones, we need wireless earbuds.  The standard issue iPod earbuds have great sound quality, and generally stay in-ear, but enjoying my iPod while engaging in sports that require a wide range of movements is constantly tugging on the earbud cord (or any headphone cord).
    Also, a waterproof/water-resistant iPod would be much appreciate by snowboarders and skiiers everywhere.

Posted by robot-o in Colorado on June 21, 2005 at 3:18 PM (CDT)

I would like PROFILE SETTINGS, like on a cell phone.  For example, at home i use one eq setting and don’t shuffle a lot, in the car i use a different eq, shuffle, and have the back light on….  just switching profiles b/w these two would eliminate having to change all of these settings everyday….

Posted by madlovexdj on June 21, 2005 at 4:38 PM (CDT)

blue tooth… built in mic…. wireless earbuds… video playback… keep it the same size.. thats all just keep it basic because if they try to add more and change the style itll ruin the simplicity of the ipod…

Posted by Dr Vee on June 21, 2005 at 5:11 PM (CDT)

Regarding the missing YEAR tag on the iPod display, I have cooked up a solution for that, which actually solves two issues:

What to do is very simple: Start your album title with the year it was made. So for example instead of just “Thriller” call the album “1982 - Thriller”.

This way you get the year displayed in the screen with every album track and even better, when you scroll the albums of a particular artist on the iPod you see them listen in chronological sequence instead of alphabetical. I spent one night updating all my iTunes entries, but I’m very happy with the outcome :)

Posted by Ericc B on June 21, 2005 at 5:47 PM (CDT)

i hate to say this but think how much money this 5th gen ipod would cost. it would be well over $750. I think it would be much better if they just added 2, 3, and 4. The built in replace your own battery would be annoying since it would make the ipod too big. Why not include a simply battery pack with the ipod that uses 2 or 4 AA/AAA batteries. Way cheaper and it would only be used when the ipod is drained.

Posted by Macromedia on June 21, 2005 at 8:13 PM (CDT)

madlovexdj-

I completely forgot how much I want PROFILE SETTINGS.  Something “smart” like my cellphone so that I don’t have to change it manually all the time.  It understands when it’s in the powered firewire dock, in the DLO car dock, with headphones in,...

I’d love it to keep the backlight on when in the car dock.  It’s being powered anyway and it makes it easier to glance down and see what is playing.

This seems like an easy idea to incorporate.

Posted by Pride Of Lions on June 21, 2005 at 8:35 PM (CDT)

a built in line out port would be nice, slicker than any aftermarket option. would be pretty easy to integrate it seems to me.

Posted by Mike Bayuk on June 21, 2005 at 9:38 PM (CDT)

I’d like to see a function that allowed me to erase my podcasts.

Wifi would be HOT!

A better battery with a minute function would be Hot as well.

A USB port is needed.

Posted by mrjwhit on June 21, 2005 at 11:45 PM (CDT)

Personally, I think it’s time for yet another fork in the iPod line. Something I’ve been waiting for has come to be from Palm. You’ve all probably heard of the life drive contraption of late. It’s a nice concept, but I bet Apple in it’s design heyday lately could crush it. Like that little faux pic above, you see a little version of OS X running. Take out some of the fluff like core image and such and scale that mach kernel down, include pocket iApps and kick our collective butts with a little device that doesn’t need a full blown machine to create documents and communicate on the net and do mail. A built in ethernet port and wi-fi(airport 802.11g) with scaled down net connectivity. The ability to map network drives on windows and mac servers and a USB port for connecting a keyboard and mouse.
Oh man, my imagination is going wild with the concept of having a device like this with full iTunes running and a 2.5 inch hd. I just dropped a 100gb 5400 rpm drive in my 15” aluminum 1ghz powerbook and some ram and it’s screaming again. Just think if the geeks here(I’m in this group) could pop this imaginary device open and drop a new drive in and install the pawheld tiger on there? I’m sure they could come up with a better name, but imagine it. Of course, the bluetooth thing would rock. How many of you have your headphone cable snag on stuff and pop the bud out of your ear getting out of the car?
I would love to see a little bluetooth module that I could plug my buds into and clip on my shirt. I’d permanently shorten my headphone cable for that one!
I can see the ads now…get your paws on Tiger…They could buy the screens like Sony’s using in the psp and palm and pocket pc would be done.

Posted by g3m4nn on June 22, 2005 at 12:22 AM (CDT)

First of all: Remember, this is a music player. Not a PDA. Let’s leave all this other stuff like games and PDA-type features out. My favorite thing about the iPod is its simplicity!

That said, Bluetooth connectivity to upload songs and for wireless headphones would be very nice!

Posted by Tobias Maximus on June 22, 2005 at 12:57 AM (CDT)

I would love to see a special edition Phish iPod that came with a bunch of live phish concerts! A Primus iPod would be cool too, they could make it blue and put skeeter on the back.

Posted by TommyTheCat in Washington on June 22, 2005 at 1:02 AM (CDT)

auto-normalizing volumes!
How many times have I had to quickly turn doen the volume because one song is recorded low and the next is really loud!?! (especially when going from an indie album to a “pro” album.

Posted by sd12013 on June 22, 2005 at 1:25 AM (CDT)

Is there a chance the iPod photo will receive an update and receive video compatibility?

Even if the iPod does get video compatibility I think the formats will only be quicktime and we will have to buy a converter if Apple does not give us a free one for the iPod.

Posted by TheCritic in Mumbai,India. on June 22, 2005 at 6:05 AM (CDT)

I would like voice activated playlists.  - powerful….

Posted by maluka on June 22, 2005 at 8:39 AM (CDT)

Why does everyone want a video iPod? There are some many issues against it at this time. Screen size was talked about. But the two biggest issues are copyright and file size. iPods (DAPs) let you take all your CDs with you and play them back at near CD quality. Now to do that with DVD’s you have to get over Copyright protection and the file size even with compression. Plus this will kill battery life which I doubt would be long enough to play a movie going by how short the Photo play time is. Changing the form factor is changing the iPod. iPod is famous for it’s small size with the mini selling the most. Now you want to make it bigger. People like putting the iPod in their pocket not really looking at it. That’s why we have playlists.  I can go on and on with the problem that need to be overcome to make Video iPod work. Plus it would cost $600 plus which would never sell.

An Open Platform LOL hehe We are talking about Apple he folks. Maybe more codecs support and upgradeable would be nice. Downloadable games maybe but limited as for making it a PDA no. PDA market is down being replaced by smart phones, an iPod phone yes. User replaceable battery maybe but I’d like to see a better battery first.

I’d really like to see Radio receiver and Bluetooth added first tough.

Posted by jetfire on June 22, 2005 at 9:34 AM (CDT)

1. Compilation support, and no I dont want a photo ipod, my mini is nice but wheres the support for compilations?
2. Removable battery.
3. 9mm pistol build in.
4. Compass
5. Touch screnn with video playback
6. Containing a rubber dingy inside when you come to a river with no bridge.
7. Build in toilet tissue when you get catch off guard.
8. Satellite navigation system
9. Less than 5mm thick.
10. 12 megapixel digital camera built in.

Posted by Divad1 on June 22, 2005 at 11:26 AM (CDT)

I’d like to see a way to Bookmark a song or audio book. That way if I have a reset or need to sync, it doesn’t “forget” what I was listening to.

I really hate being in the middle of a 60 minute podcast, needing to charge my ipod and later, upon disconnecting, the ipod is never right where I left it. It always begins at the main menu. Makes me crazy!

I second the normalization, cross-fade and gapless playback.

Even better if that would be an ipod update so I don’t have to buy a new one.

Posted by PromoGuy on June 22, 2005 at 11:42 AM (CDT)

UNBELIEVABLE! So many suggestions, and yet my absolute number one requirement hasn’t even seen a mention! 16bit 44.1khz Stereo record!!! How difficult can that be Apple? No software encoders or anything required, I’m talking of straight forward AIFF so I can do location recording with an external mic. this is a no brainer. no hardware chnages required and next to no software changes, just a minimal update. Sound engineers would jump on it. Perhaps they’re worried about the hard drive spinning, but the ram buffer would operate just as it does on playback. COME ON APPLE!!!

Posted by efunc on June 22, 2005 at 1:05 PM (CDT)

1. Bluetooth (could do the same thing as both wi-fi and fm transmitting, though an am/fm reciever would be nice)

2. Video capability. I’m probably not going to watch a whole movie on it, but short clips or a TV show might be nice.

3. Thinner and Lighter

4. Light-up wording on the click wheel

5. Downloadable games

6. Cross-fade

7. Gapless Playback

8. Better battery life indicator

9. Transferrable EQ settings from iTunes

10. Upload listening stats to iTunes

Posted by russgiro88 on June 22, 2005 at 2:06 PM (CDT)

PushButtonAction- Sir I have not been able to try audio recording because I have a 4G iPod. If you need assistance getting it working check the official iPod Linux forums: http://www.ipodlinux.org/forums/ someone there will assist you I am sure :)

efunc- Already available in linux on 3G ipods, with even better specs then that if you prefer.

Posted by celerityfm on June 22, 2005 at 4:04 PM (CDT)

Play Next in Shuffle

Just like in iTunes.

Posted by iBang on June 22, 2005 at 4:29 PM (CDT)

The FM transmitter would make the iPod illegal in the UK. I know we’re not that important anymore but I’m sure they wouldn’t want to kill off a potential 60mil sales by building in something that already has a reputable 3rd party alternative.

Posted by callused on June 22, 2005 at 6:11 PM (CDT)

Please god (steve :D) Give us a fricken’ parametric EQ!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by oink1 in Bristol-UK on June 22, 2005 at 6:23 PM (CDT)

*Bluetooth 2.0
*Optical input and output
*Recording capabilities
*Color screen
*Aluminum case
*Dock with optical output
*Higher-quality DSP
*Display of year, bitrate and filetype on “Now Playing” screen
*Browse by decade and then by year
*Support for “compilations” feature.
*Removable battery

NO VIDEO PLAYBACK!

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on June 23, 2005 at 2:33 AM (CDT)

My biggest wish:
“iPod-DJ-Edition”
- black aluminium housing
- gapless playback
- beats-per-minute counter
- pitch control
- crossfading

Posted by Psymarky on June 23, 2005 at 4:32 AM (CDT)

one thing .... pitch control. I love you slow down songs to the next lowest or highest semitone (especially in classical). It sound great!!!

Posted by kurt in Maryland on June 23, 2005 at 4:57 AM (CDT)

Macromedia, I like your idea for a AA cell plug-in accessory. Sony MiniDisc players have it. ;-)

BTW jetfire, what do DVDs have to do with video playback? Who said I wanted to watch movies on my iPod? What if I want to view or show others short clips? Like footage of my favourite computer or PlayStation game. Or footage of my workmates or whatever.

Celerityfm, thanks for the Linux post - if Apple won’t give it to us then Linux will.

One problem is that the HP iPods are no different to Apple’s. How about some differentiation? Why does HP insist on being a mere reseller? Even if I were Apple I’d want HP to have a slightly different iPod (different colours, hard drive capacities, whatever). That way we can have the best of both worlds: a consistent product by Apple and some daring or different versions by HP.

Posted by Pikemann_Urge on June 23, 2005 at 7:12 AM (CDT)

Mainly been said before but I’d like:

Gapless playback.
Browse by decade and then by year.
Compliation support.
On the go smart playlists, something like new playlist, select Artist/Album etc > Next > Select criteria > Limit to > Play.
Might go against iPod simple interface though, but I sometimes want to listen to a particular mix of songs but I dont want to create a playlist for every possible combination.

An alternate would be to have playlists where you could then filter according to number of stars etc.

Removable battery.

WiFi.

And I second callused point that having a transmitter imbedded would cause problems in the UK. I think the government turn a blind eye to iTrips etc, but if there were millions of iPods with this it would be a different matter. Many cars are starting to have Bluetooth etc now so that would be a better solution I believe.

I’m suprised noone has mentioned satallite radio, as I believe that is big in the States and has been discussed previously. I wouldnt go for that though as the fact that it is mainly US would limit its appeal.

Posted by robroe in Manchester, UK on June 23, 2005 at 7:37 AM (CDT)

auto-normalizing volumes!

Ditto that - BIG TIME.  Come on, how many times do you reach for your iPod controls because you can barely hear one song, while the next song nearly blasts your ears, followed by an average volume song followed by…you get the picture.  This should be an easy fix.  Come on.

Posted by Obadiah on June 23, 2005 at 10:47 AM (CDT)

Obadiah- if you turn on the “sound check” option under settings on your iPod I believe it normalizes the music to a certain volume level, but it uses more battery power. Not sure how much more tho :)

Pikemann_Urge glad u liked the linux post :) and also, for Macromedia: http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/tunejuice/ will let you plug in a 9 volt battery to power your iPod if your battery runs low. Coolness.

Posted by celerityfm on June 23, 2005 at 11:17 AM (CDT)

Voice Recognition!

Me: iPod, Play me some John Mayer!
iPod:  Which Album?
Me:  Heavier Things

and then it starts playing . . .

That would be a beautiful thing - having a huge music library, it gets tedious scrolling so much sometimes, especially when I’m driving.

Posted by eleanoremilypearl on June 23, 2005 at 12:49 PM (CDT)

celerityfm -

Thanks, but I have not found the “sound check” appears to be nothing more than a user pacifier, you know, like pushing the “walk” button repeatedly at a crosswalk thinking that it actually does something, when in reality it’s merely a switch on a light pole not connected to anything.

Posted by Obadiah on June 23, 2005 at 2:41 PM (CDT)

1) the ability to listen to radio on ipod
2) ability to record from radio onto ipod
3) ability to fill with rented music from somthing like napster or rhapsody.
4) ability to play videos

These are the only 4 things I can think of that could improve upon the current ipod, and the only things that could get me to buy a new one.

Posted by shelbyclay on June 23, 2005 at 4:34 PM (CDT)

i would like gapless playback, a cheaper battery pack, wirelessness, video seems a bit…much, more special edition ipods, color screen that you could set to the visualizer thingy that has the lines going crazy..that’d be cool

Posted by iamaclogger on June 23, 2005 at 7:10 PM (CDT)

hey celerityfm i don’t mean sumthing big. you ever saw a md player with the auxilary power in?. Something like that and it would be included in the ipod box. It would give you a couple of hours extra play time as long as you didn’t play game, use the back lightes etc. Long enough to find a power source and charge the ipod

Posted by Macromedia on June 23, 2005 at 10:38 PM (CDT)

I’d like to see several things in the next iPod.  Obviously a better battery would be great, but one that is easily replaceable might hurt the overall design.  I would also love to see a feature like that on many flip phone cell phones where the screen goes into a “sleep” mode after a certain amount of inactivity.  This way you could listen to music while the screen is turned off, conserving battery power.  Having Bluetooth integrated into the new iPod would be awesome.  It would make integrating them with car audio systems easier and would provide better quality that FM transmitters.
  A Rolling Stones iPod and other special editions would be great too.
  If they add Reactive Volume Control then I hope that is is an optional thing that can be turned on and off.  I have seen something like this in an Avalon a couple model years ago and it was really more annoying than helpful.  The volume would just decrease at apparently random moments and was really very annoying.  If Apple did a better job with it though it could be very helpful.

Posted by Sorcery5 on June 23, 2005 at 11:14 PM (CDT)

OK Job’s listen up!! Some good ideas.
First off I want to make things clear
IPODS ARE MUSIC PLAYERS (MP3) / AND PDA’S ARE MULTI FUNCTION MINI COMPUTER TYPE DEVICES.

On the 5G debute, give us three simple things

A. give us a new line of ipods with new basic hardware functions and add some new cool artist ed.

B. New software updates for the all the older modles with some of the ideas listed above.

C. Apple based PDA Running mobileTiger. for all the folks that want wifi and all that fancy stuff, with video on the PDA (not the ipod)

I noticed theres two types of consumers here, Music lovers that want a great MP3 player, and gadget lovers that are listing what the ideal Apple PDA would be.

<<<<<<<O.K. As far as the ipod goes here are a few ideas…>>>>>>>>>

1. Voice control for libary and playlist (need not to be fancy, somthing for those of us that are driving and want to keep the eye on the road)

2. The 2nd gen Shuffle should have a screen cuase For those of us that have ipods and shuffles it would be nice to use both to benfit one another by having the SHUFFLE being the REMOTE!!! to the ipod with a mini LCD and contols. this would be great cuase it can contol the ipod in new ways as well as some new ideas.>>>>>>>>

- ipod charges shuffle when in use as a remote.

- To gain better battery the ipod uses the flash memory from the shuffle as a long term buffer so the ipod can stay in stand-by. (this would be a enhance the playlist not thought of i.e. on-the-go playlist your shuffle when you have time. most of my playlists are made on the ipod not in itunes.) just some benifits to using the SHUFFLE as the REMOTE.

3. Back to the Ipod. this is more of a concept and bit of a idea that has cross my mind a few times. ipod is to ibook as powerbook is to “powerpod”. what I mean is that the ipod should be revamped with “power” look with a Ti or a Alum. model. it would be cool but more or less what I mean is that for the DJs and the Audiophiles that need more than what the ipod can offer to the average consumers, apple should release a “powerpod” that would have huge hard disk. this can be acheved two 60gb drives (Thats 120GB)for those that are willing to drop like $800 for a killer ipod. also this powerpod should have raw music file playback or even ripping music on the fly. with a acessory you can record your live stuff or rip music on the go to get samples and stuff.  I dunno kinda a DJ’s dream ipod

4. Gapless playback and crossfade have been listed but it would be nice to crossfade not just within a album but within a playlist or even have like two songs playing at the same time and scrating and that turntable junk while listening. it would cool but not a must , perhaps a add-on thing for those who want such features.

5. other than alot that is aready listed by others I would say apple don’t forget your old custumers. update the firmware in the ipod and it would be REALLY cool to run some oldschool OS’s in ipod, perhapps a running Mac OS 9 or earler would be cool just to tool aruond when you are stuck on a subway or a bus for more than just a few min.

Thats All I Can think of for now for the ipod, but I think you guy’s should really release a PDA that can do video and wifi and run a OS with iTunes and iCal and all that cool stuff that OSX can do. I just want you guys to keep in mind that the iPod is a MP3 player and not some crazy PDA think stufed into and pocket sized player.

P.S. FM tuner is would be cool, and perhaps XM tuner for 6G and aslo try to make the iPod     more car freindly:)

Posted by bmxing85 on June 24, 2005 at 2:45 AM (CDT)

Re Gapless playback (as that seems to be what everyone is whetting themselves over)

This is NOT possible with the MP3 as a FORMAT.

Forget specific player or software, IT CANNOT BE DONE WITH MP3.

Not properly (like a CD does) it anyway.

When you encode music to MP3, it adds a couple of extra frames to the start/end of the track to ensure that it’s got everything. Hence you will always get a little gap, even if the player can buffer the next track ready and play it immediately after the preceding one.

I have no idea about AAC/MP4 as I’ve not really looked into it - for all my DJ mixes etc I just rip as one long MP3 - it’s the only way at the moment.

Although I have heard about these “bookmark” like things where you can effectively make “markers” during a long MP3 and then jump to them. Whether that could be a compromise I don’t know - for example, would they support artist/title meta data?

But in summary - you’ll not get true gapless playback from ANY MP3 player…..

Which is a shame to say the least.

Posted by PugRallye on June 24, 2005 at 5:13 AM (CDT)

“Sound Check” only works if you had iTunes crunch through your tracks once, so if you want it go to prefs and have iTunes do it. Once that is done you can resync & the option will actually do something on your iPod. Be warned though…

SOUND CHECK IS THE KILLER OF MUSIC

Apple uses el-cheapo peak-analysis, and the results sound HORRIBLE. Can you say loss of dynamics & high-end roll-off? Mushy lifeless sound, like a wet sponge, that’s what you get if you use Sound Check. Lossless solutions are available (such as MP3Gain & iVolume) which simply change the volume instead of the file, with the only gripe that iTunes will ignore their settings when burning CDs.

THIS MUST BE IMPROVED!

Posted by Bad Beaver on June 24, 2005 at 6:22 AM (CDT)

Digital Output (S/PDIF),Digital Output (S/PDIF),Digital Output (S/PDIF),Digital Output (S/PDIF),Digital Output (S/PDIF),Digital Output (S/PDIF),Digital Output (S/PDIF),Digital Output (S/PDIF),Digital Output (S/PDIF),Digital Output (S/PDIF),Digital Output (S/PDIF),Digital Output (S/PDIF),Digital Output (S/PDIF),Digital Output (S/PDIF),Digital Output (S/PDIF)

Posted by carlta on June 24, 2005 at 8:42 AM (CDT)

I would like to see a better battery for sure, bluetooth, and for god sakes can we please copy our music from our ipod to our computer. Having to buy extra programs to do this is too stupid.

Posted by DENISEEE on June 24, 2005 at 9:03 AM (CDT)

Bad Beaver - does sound check permanently change the music file?! Obviously you can turn it off, so I’m assuming the data is unchanged… right? Please explain as much as you know - very concerned for my files.

Posted by cobraverde on June 24, 2005 at 10:04 AM (CDT)

I would like the ability to search for a song/artist easily and add quick messages to the Ipod notes feature directly on the Ipod. These would both need a text input interface, probably simular to a mobile phones current interface. I believe someone has done something simular on the Linux Ipod project.

Posted by skyman on June 24, 2005 at 10:15 AM (CDT)

PugRallye gapless mp3 playback not possible? Then how do you explain this: http://www.winamp.com/plugins/details.php?id=107818 ?? Ok ok your right, TRUE gapless isn’t possible, but it can be emulated well enough. The RIO KARMA has gapless emulation, why can’t the iPod? Check this out: http://www.pretentiousname.com/mp3players/

Huh.

obadiah- your right, it doesn’t sound any different with that feature on. I wonder if anyone has ever taken any sample measurements and seen if it really makes a difference on a meter atleast.

Macromedia- I haven’t seen those md players you are talking about, but I think I get what your saying—an additional compartment on the iPod to plug in a backup AAA battery so that you have an “emergency tank” or atleast the option to have use your ipod when the battery is dead and you have no other alternatives.. its heartbreaking to have a dead ipod when you want it!

Posted by celerityfm on June 24, 2005 at 11:57 AM (CDT)

celerityfm - read my post about Sound Check.

cobraverde - If you turn it off it is off and leaves the file as it was before. The information is stored so you may turn it on again. Not that you are likely to turn it on again…

Posted by Bad Beaver on June 24, 2005 at 12:11 PM (CDT)

I’m a harmonica player and love learning harp licks and riffs, so I would love in iPod that has similar features to my Marantz Superscope PSD230 that will be…

a. Tempo Control – With just the touch of a button you can increase the tempo of any CD up to 50% or slow down tempo by 33% (in 50 increments without changing key.)

b. Key Control – Without changing tempo, you can change the key ±1 octave, in 1/16th note increments, or musical half steps.

c. A-B Practice Loop – Select a segment of music to continually repeat.

d.  And as long as I’m wisihg… Figure out what key the song is in!

Other musicians would love these features too !

Posted by airmojo in Cleveland, Ohio on June 24, 2005 at 3:35 PM (CDT)

Gapless playback will be crucial for the iPods of tomorrow, and I agree with some of the posters that features like phones, movies, color screens, etc, will only add to the price and detract from the iPod’s central mission as a music player. Steve Jobs can make as many gadgets as he wants if he knows they’ll make money, and if he’s so confident that Apple can sell a phone/music player/whatever, that should be the iWonder or the iEverything or whatever… the iPod is perfect because of how well it does what it does and also the things it deliberately *doesn’t* do.

That said, three requests for the 5G model:

1: Return the physical FireWire link that Apple abandoned after the 1G model… carrying around cables, docks, etc. is unnecessarily cumbersome if you could have a little port—and knowing Apple engineers, I’m sure they could make it a sweet, spring-loaded, pop-out feature that would deploy from the top corner of the devidce. Keep the dock connector on the bottom for dock/audio line-out use, and for syncing to tomorrow’s car adapters. This way you could charge/sync your iPod on a foreign computer and plug it in to its home computer and not risk losing cables.

2. Enable it to spit out recorded files as .mp3s, not those silly .wavs it forces you to have if you record interviews or whatever with your iTalk. So what if people use it to bootleg concerts, etc.—does Apple really think iPods aren’t the focal point of a *lot* of piracy these days?  (They are.)

3. Give it a decent indicator of remaining battery life, like the features available on the Apple laptops. I can’t say how many times I’ve panicked when I’ve charged my iPod overnight and then turned it on only to see the battery indicator was falsely half-empty, leaving me to wonder if it was messed up, the iPod battery was dying, or some combination thereof.

Posted by mysteriousphantom in Flyover Country on June 24, 2005 at 3:46 PM (CDT)

I want two things, not in the next ipod, but in the next version of the Ipod software:\

I want to be able to delete songs on my ipod! How many times have you been listeing to a dumb song that got on your ipod? You have to remeber to delete it in itunes when you get home! Why not have ipod and itunes syncronize so you can delete on the fly!

Also it would be nice if the shuffle could plug directly into the ipod to download songs on the fly. Listento the ipod in the car, then download songs to the shuffle on a hrdcore bike ride!

Killer ideas, not much work for Apple!

Posted by EsPy on June 24, 2005 at 10:41 PM (CDT)

First off I wouldn’t really want to see the iPod to turn into a video player, unless they made a whole new model but could still buy the original iPods.  Crossfade playback would be cool and also for all iPods to be able to hook up to your tv and display the songs just like the iPod (much like the Photo).  And although they I don’t have a photo wouldn’t it be cool to have the new iPod to be able to TAKE pictures or have an accesory?  Just a thought.

Posted by sno_cat219 on June 24, 2005 at 11:33 PM (CDT)

Hey, Kittlyn here and I love the ipod. . .I do not have one, but I am in RTF in college and have learned a lot about ipod.  I think that it can go to the next level.  internet access to down load mp3 through your ipod itself.  no need to hook it up to the comp at home the comp is in the ipod.  the tech. is there.  Plus, with a screen you can open a whole new inovation.  Think outside the box is my mato.  I can not wait to see what ipod has to bring next.
ipod the wave of the future;)
AUSTIN TX RTF student ;)
Take care!!

Posted by cdtkitt on June 25, 2005 at 12:14 AM (CDT)

Anyone have an idea when this thing will ever be out? I’ve got a broken one with a warranty, so I don’t want to bring it in *too* early. I was hoping for a WWDC deal, but that hasn’t surfaced. An August or September release, maybe?

Posted by Regalia on June 25, 2005 at 9:45 AM (CDT)

I got a pretty cool idea.  What if connected to a large-capacity (100gb) ipod, there would be a small shuffle-like ipod that could be detachable to put on a mini playlist on the go.  Then if you wanted to transfer files from the 100 gb part to the shuffle, you could.  Plus, there would be two backlight screens on both parts.  On the small one it would show an equalizer while connected to the big part and on the bigger screen it could have show title, artist etc.  Plus a touch screen with a touch-screen scroll wheel would be handy so there would be no buttons.  I also would want a built in laser pointer and flashlight.

Posted by hyroboarder on June 25, 2005 at 12:41 PM (CDT)

I CAN’T BELIEVE NO ONE THOUGHT OF THIS…..  A SCRATCH RESISTANT IPOD!!

Posted by sno_cat219 on June 25, 2005 at 3:57 PM (CDT)

Oh yeah and I forgot to add this, don’t make the iPod battery removeable.  It will definetely change the iPod design in a bad way.  Suggestion, make the battery actually work like they say they do and have a cheaper battery program.

Posted by sno_cat219 on June 25, 2005 at 4:07 PM (CDT)

downloadable FREE games like asteroids and a shoot em up style game. the replacable battery idea is fine if the ipod ‘look’ is the same. a car charger and/or battery pack should be included. the no-gap thing is a must and a jet black ipod should be an option. The scratch prood ipod would be usefule but i would get a case for it anyway. the one thing i think apple needs to put out is the ability to run itunes and have your itunes run with a linux computer. It is the cheapest o/s and it is way better than Xtra Problems.

Posted by afterburner on June 25, 2005 at 9:41 PM (CDT)

I’d like to see a lower range iPod that still had a screen. Maybe an iPod with 256, 512, and 1 GiG HDD as well as an SD slot, to expand the amount of availible storage as you need it.

It’d be better then the shuffle…

Posted by demonic_bunny on June 26, 2005 at 12:21 AM (CDT)

I’m sorry but these pretty much all suck and are nothing new.  The improvements I’d like to see are in usability.  For instance, I want every playable list to have an option to shuffle at the the bottom.  This would be much more convenient than having to navigate all the way to the settings menu, change shuffle mode, then navigate back to the list.  The shuffle option at the bottom of each playable list would be great!

Posted by Frank Z on June 26, 2005 at 12:43 PM (CDT)

Actually, I do agree with the crossfade ability but would also like a way to add silence into a playlist as well.

Posted by Frank Z on June 26, 2005 at 12:44 PM (CDT)

The car interface bit should be priority numero uno. Here in LA I know SO many people who can’t use their iPod in the car since the radio transmitters don’t really work here. People don’t want to tear apart their factory installs and modify them, Apple. Give us a reason to download more iTunes tracks!

And then ditch the gaps…

Posted by superape on June 26, 2005 at 12:55 PM (CDT)

REAL SPL LIVE UPDATING!

When you have two or more levels of Smart Play Lists, the upper levels DO NOT update.

If I have a SPL that includes songs from SPL1 (Never Played) and SPL2 (Not Played Last Month) it doesn’t update until I connect to iTunes.

It shouldn’t be that difficult!

Posted by ceppm on June 26, 2005 at 4:47 PM (CDT)

There should be a CD player dock that lets u listen to a CD and rip the songs on to the iPods hard drive while charging! that’d be awsome and make it simple to operate like a 2 button clock radio.
And there should be wireless headphones atandard with all iPods I mean there a big investment allready

Posted by Z17 in LA on June 26, 2005 at 5:06 PM (CDT)

i noticed that someone commented about a virtual click wheel? i would want something like that, but heres my variatiion.

The click wheel is embedded into the ipod case (so nothing stick out/can be damaged) along with the buttons being where they are located like the click wheel, but instead of clicking down on the them, you double-tap them to play, FFW, reverse etc.

with that theres 0 moving parts in the ipod, except the hard drive.

with recent advances in flash technology we could replace the HDD with flash memory elimating the last moving part.

IMO, i think the ipod would be very resiliant to damage at that point. no moving parts means nothing can get moved from where its supposed to be.

also, creative made a 30 GB Flash player, why cant we use flash in ipods? theres is slightly larger and it was made a while ago to the capacities of todays flash chips will make it easily possible to have an ipod w/ flash memory. its also faster then microdrives like in the mini.

Posted by the_commanche on June 26, 2005 at 5:07 PM (CDT)

I went through all the above suggestions and compiled my own top-ten based mainly on cost of implementation. The good thing about the first six (seven?) it that they should require no additional hardware expense for apple and thus shouldn’t increase the price of the ipod (very important). I think these are realistic, practicable suggestions that Apple could and should implement in the 5G Ipod.

1) Display extended id3 tag information (year, genre, etc). You should be able to click on any song for a full-details view.

2) Scrolling tickertape display of full album and artist (this is ridiculously easy and it is egregious that apple hasn’t already implemented it)

3) Ability to flag/delete tracks on the go on my ipod (also essential and easy to implement)

4) Crossfade/gapless playback would be nice.

5) Easier access to ‘shuffle’ function, whether at the bottom of playlists or through a shortcut key-combo.

6) Screen “sleep” mode (why doesn’t it already have this? So basic).

7) Auto-normalize song volumes.

8) Better battery (doesn’t have to be user replaceable, just has to last longer)

9) Some form of EQ, even simple three-band. This is necessary just because different headphones have different sound profiles.

10) Get rid of the proprietary apple jack for a simple usb2 mini jack.
This jack is just a cash-grab excuse for making $20 cables. If the ipod had a normal usb jack, I wouldn’t have to drag my cable around everywhere for charging/transfers. Of course this will never happen.

11,12,13…) 80G HD, video playback, different colors…

Ideas I can do without:

Reactive volume—I have this in my car stereo and it does not work well. The technology is just not smart enough. Besides, taking accurate measurements of ambient noise is too much of a hurdle and too expensive to implement properly—to do it correctly you need microphones built into the outside of the earphones. End result of cheaper systems is annoying, noticeable surges in volume.

Bluetooth: too slow for syncing and BT headphones are oversized, expensive and not up to par yet. Otherwise useless (Airport? Just plug it in at home).  A BT transmitter accessory could be an easy possibility though for those who are keen on BT. Otherwise, adding BT would just raise the price.

And lastly, an accessory I’d like to see: Remote with LCD display and more complete set of controls (Imaging a mini disc type remote).
This would be great as I could finally stash my ipod away (somewhere safe like in my backpack) while still being able to see what’s playing and possibly change/browse playlists/artists/albums. Obviously such a remote wouldn’t come cheap, but it would really rock, essentially turning a full size ipod to shuffle size i.e. something you can hang around your neck.

Posted by yoghurtgoblin on June 27, 2005 at 7:15 AM (CDT)

Bad Beaver - ahhhhhhhhhh! Well, nevermind then! Thanks.

Frank Z - A shuffle option at the bottom, or top or whatever of every playlist would be great except I think you wouldn’t want it as bad if you used the shuffle on your ipod differently—instead of first setting the ipod to shuffle and THEN navigating to the playlist, why don’t you go ahead and start playing your playlist and THEN go back to settings and choose “shuffle”—the next song that plays will be a random one from the current playlist! You can turn on and off Shuffle while your listening to your playlist and it will automatically play in order or reshuffle the songs. This brings up a cool point:

TIP: If you are listening to your entire collection on shuffle by using the “shuffle” option on the main menu, and you suddenly want it played back in order, you can go to settings and toggle the shuffle songs setting ON and then OFF again and when you go back to your “now playing” screen you will notice that the shuffle icon is no longer displayed and you can freely skip around your songs in order, then turn the shuffle back ON again if you want it. Be warned though, turning on/off shuffle reshuffles your songs every time, so you’ll lose your ability to go back/forward in the order. Hope you like!

Posted by celerityfm on June 27, 2005 at 9:57 AM (CDT)