Time Capsule and the Apple TV
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: Will Apple TV Take 2 work with Time Capsule? I’ve been looking but I can’t find a definitive answer one way or another. What I’d like is to use Time Capsule as a media storage backend for Apple TV? Will the new update make this possible?
A: Unfortunately, the short answer is no. Apple TV will not work directly with Time Capsule in the sense that you can stream or sync content from Time Capsule to your Apple TV without an intermediate iTunes library running on a Mac or PC somewhere.
Further, Time Capsule will not simply provide an extended storage repository for your Apple TV. What you get on your Apple TV internal hard drive is basically all you get in terms of Apple TV local storage—40GB or 160GB, depending upon the model.
What you can do, however, is use the Time Capsule 500GB/1TB drive as a location for your iTunes library media content from your Mac or PC. This content still has to be managed and synced through iTunes itself, however, which means you’ll need a computer running iTunes somewhere in the house—just the data can be stored on the Time Capsule drive instead of a local hard drive in the computer. The Apple TV would still communicate with iTunes on the computer itself, but the files for transfer or streaming would be read from the Time Capsule drive.
Keep in mind, however, that if both the computer or Apple TV are using a wireless connection this may affect performance compared to a locally connected hard drive, since you’re effectively using double the wireless bandwidth (one stream to pull the data from the Time Capsule drive into iTunes, and a second stream to send it to the Apple TV).
See our article, Managing your iTunes Library on an External Hard Drive for more information. The same principle that applies to using an external hard drive would apply to using a Time Capsule drive..
It should be noted as well, however, that with the Apple TV Take 2 update, an iTunes based computer is no longer required to download podcasts or purchase/rent content from the iTunes Store, so this may help to reduce the requirements for leaving that back-end computer running all the time.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Instagram 9.2 update for iOS includes pinch-to-zoom on photos and videos
- Judge dismisses key claims of Monster’s case against Beats over Apple deal
- Apple adds 2TB iCloud storage option
- Spec sheet shows Lightning EarPods, Lightning headphone adapter packed in with 256GB iPhone 7 Plus
- Papa John’s releases pizza-ordering app for Apple TV
- Apple call Australian banks’ request a ‘detriment to consumers’
- EU determines Apple should pay 13 billion euros in back taxes to Ireland; Apple plans appeal
- SIM tray photos hint at alleged ‘gloss black’ iPhone color
- Trademark filings hint at wireless EarPods, two new Apple Watch models
- Report: EU to rule against Apple-Ireland tax deals, recommend Apple pay 1B+ Euros
- Kanex GoPower Watch Portable Battery for Apple Watch
- Nuvyyo Tablo Over-the-Air Television DVR
- Belkin PowerHouse Charge Dock for Apple Watch and iPhone
- Western Digital My Cloud (OS 3)
- Distil Union Stanley Stand
- Philips Sonicare FlexCare Platinum Connected Bluetooth Toothbrush
- Audeze EL-8 Titanium Over-Ear Headphones
- Defined Corp Dome Stand for Apple Watch and iPhone
- Speck StyleFolio Pencil for 9.7” iPad Pro
- Audeze Sine On-Ear Headphone
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 9.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.3
- Opinion: Why Apple needs a dedicated HomeKit app