Time-sensitive ‘Most Played’ smart playlist | iLounge Article

Article

Time-sensitive ‘Most Played’ smart playlist

Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.

View the complete Ask iLounge archives...

Q:

I want to be able to set up a smart playlist which lists, in order, the tracks I have played the most over a seven-day period. Thus each day, I get a new ‘Top 10’ of the previous seven-days’ most played tracks. Is this possible? I’ve failed so far to get anything more than the last 10 tracks played or a cumulative top 10 which began on the day I bought the machine.

- David

A: This is certainly an interesting idea for a smart playlist, but it’s not possible with the way iTunes currently keeps track of play counts and dates.

As it is now, iTunes only records the total number of play counts, and the date that the song was last played. With only this rudimentary bookkeeping, a playlist such as the one you’ve proposed can’t exist - you would need to know a date associated with each playcount.

Theoretically, this could be done with a complicated AppleScript that periodically kept tabs on how play counts change with time, but to our knowledge, no such utility exists.

Alternatively, you could simply reset your playcounts to zero every week, by selecting all of your tracks, right-clicking, and choosing “Reset Play Count.” However, this solution may not be desirable to you, as cumulative play counts are clearly fun to keep track of, as well.

« Maintaining sort order on large playlists

De-rating songs en masse »

Comments

I have an answer to David’s question. He could sign up for http://www.last.fm

It’s a site that tracks what you listen to (via plugin) and creates weekly reports every sunday of your top 10 artists and songs, and also keeps a lifetime list of top artists and songs.

Posted by Jerrod H. in TX on November 24, 2005 at 5:06 PM (CST)

Hmm for David’s question about the smart playlist… couldn’t you just do this rule:

Last Played is in the last 1 weeks
&
Limit to 10 songs selected by most recently played
&
Live updating

Would that not work?

Posted by Jerrod H. in TX on November 25, 2005 at 9:30 AM (CST)

Smartlist issues I am having are I been trying to create a smartlist that contains about 8 GENRES and then narrow them down by MY RATINGS, but it seems that everytime I try to add both rules they seem to zero themselves out or music from my entire library appears even if I haven’t selected that genre to be in the Smart List.

HELP how do I fix this problem?

Here is what I did (I have tried both ways below in selecting where I want the music pulled from):

GENRE is _______ (until I have added all my areas)

GENRE contains _______ (until I have added all my areas) and then I

MY RATING is in the range of **** to *****

Please HELP HELP HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Jerrod H. in TX on November 25, 2005 at 10:38 AM (CST)

The solution found by bowser above will certainly work. There is just one point missing: when the playlist is displayed, don’t forget to click on “playcount” on the header of the list, so that songs are listed from most played down.

Luciano.

Posted by Jerrod H. in TX on November 25, 2005 at 12:31 PM (CST)

Ooops, correcting my post above: it really is impossible to get what David is trying - once you click on “playcount” to get most played songs on top you actually get songs most played since iTunes was installed and not only during the week. Sorry.

Luciano.

Posted by Jerrod H. in TX on November 25, 2005 at 12:41 PM (CST)

You sure? It seems to be working for me… here’s two screenshots…
one of my top 10 played

and one of my top 10 played in the last 7 days.

seems like its working to me, the numbers are different.

Posted by Jerrod H. in TX on November 25, 2005 at 2:14 PM (CST)

Yes, but the playcount is always the total playcount, not last week’s playcount. So, assuming the song you have played most overall was also played during last week, it would still appear at the top of the list, regardless of whether it was actually the most played song _last week_.

Posted by Jerrod H. in TX on November 26, 2005 at 3:02 AM (CST)

As a relative beginner to synchronising video to the new 5th generation ipods, I am having trouble with my video setting preferences. When I go to ipod preferences and click on the video tab, the screen will not allow me to alter the preferences so that I can synchronise videos. What am I doing wrong?

Posted by Jerrod H. in TX on November 27, 2005 at 2:41 PM (CST)

I’ve just bought an iPod nano and the bottom half of the screen has disappeared! The unit is still working, but I only have half a screen!  Anyone know what’s gone wrong and if there’s a solution?

rowdy

Posted by Jerrod H. in TX on November 29, 2005 at 10:15 PM (CST)

I have iPOD 30 GB that supports photos, music and video.  How do you tranfer video into the ipod?  The instructions are lacking.

Thanks

Posted by Jerrod H. in TX on November 30, 2005 at 10:19 PM (CST)