Tomorrow’s Speakers Today, Part 3: Logitech mm22
If adding a plastic cradle (sans Dock Connector pins) to a set of white and black speakers is all that it takes to be iPod-specific, Altec missed (more likely, intentionally avoided) the iPod-only boat with the inMotion iM4s, which we previewed yesterday and noted were platform-agnostic. But computer peripheral maker Logitech is using just that simple of an iPod integration system in its new mm22 ($79.99, available for $58 online) portable speakers.
The mm22’s are foldable travel speakers intended to compete against Altec’s established inMotion series, and they appear to share at least some design DNA. Both companies’ speakers have the same two-driver-per-channel approach, and Logitech’s travel case, audio cables, and digital volume controls undeniably resemble Altec’s XT1 laptop speakers.
Differences begin in the iPod dock and mounting system; Altec’s speakers have large fold-out plastic bases that house iPod docks, while Logitech’s system uses three attachable plastic iPod cups without Dock Connectors, one each for iPod minis, thin iPods, and thicker iPods/iPod photos. There’s a metal mounting loop on the back to prop the system up, however, we’re finding that the system actually depends a fair bit on the unique plastic audio-in “leg” to keep everything stable, as the metal loop doesn’t lock in place or ratchet between positions.
Logitech includes an AC adapter with the mm22’s, but they can also be run off of four AAA batteries, loaded into two compartments on the back. Folded and carried without their case, they’re actually quite a bit smaller than Altec’s iM1/2/3/4s, but the case is a necessity since there’s no other included accessory that protects the exposed speaker drivers.
Sound quality? Volume’s in the same class as most of the other portable speakers we’ve tested - enough to fill a room, but not more. Distortion isn’t bad, and since bass doesn’t appear to be as ‘Maxxed’ as in the iM series, there’s a bit less compression in the sound. We’ll have more to say on this point soon, but the general impression is favorable. And the twistable speakers, as in the photo? It’s mostly a cosmetic thing, if you like your speakers visually angled.
- Apple Computer iTV / Apple TV First Look
- First Looks: PocketParty V2, Aural Earbuds, Cases for Apple Remote, nano, 5G
- First Looks: Kensington Dock 500/Radio Duo, Icuiti DV920, Belkin TuneBase FM & More
- First Looks Special: Motorola SLVR L7 iTunes Phone (photos inside)
- First Looks: Altec iM3c, SmartShare, OtterBox 5G, Commuter & Mork Mount
- First Looks: Applesauce, Blinkit, EyeTV 2, iM11, iRhythms & More
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- iLounge Weekly arrives Monday, subscribe now
- Apple Store returns, begins taking iPad pre-orders
- Apple updates Pages, Numbers, Keynote for iCloud Drive
- Belkin announces QODE keyboards for iPad Air 2
- Apple introduces Apple SIM, multi-carrier cellular SIM card
- New iPad Smart Cases, Covers shown for iPad Air 2
- Apple unveils iPad mini 3, renames Retina iPad mini to iPad mini 2
- Apple debuts iPad Air 2
- iPad stats: 225 million sold, 675,000 apps
- Apple formally debuts iTunes 12 after three months of betas
- ClamCase ClamCase Pro for iPad mini
- IK Multimedia iRig Pads MIDI Groove Controller
- Hex Icon Wallet and Solo Wallet for iPhone 6
- SwitchEasy 0.35, LifePocket + Numbers for iPhone 6
- GE Link Connected LED Bulb + Wink Hub
- Belkin Qode Ultimate Pro Keyboard Case for iPad Air
- Uniq Aircraft Clear for iPhone 6
- STM Harbour for iPhone 6 Plus
- Odoyo Quad360 and QuadMax for iPhone 6
- IK Multimedia iRig MIDI 2
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About iPad Air 2 + iPad mini 3
- Mind The Gap: What’s iPad’s Role In An iPhone 6 (Plus) World?
- Editorial: Why I Switched To T-Mobile (And You Might, Too)
- The Early Guide To Apple Watch Apps
- iLounge’s Top iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus Case Picks (Fall 2014)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.0
- Multi-Editorial: On Apple’s iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus + Apple Watch
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0
- What’s New in iTunes 12
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers