Tomorrow’s Speakers Today, Part 3: Logitech mm22
If adding a plastic cradle (sans Dock Connector pins) to a set of white and black speakers is all that it takes to be iPod-specific, Altec missed (more likely, intentionally avoided) the iPod-only boat with the inMotion iM4s, which we previewed yesterday and noted were platform-agnostic. But computer peripheral maker Logitech is using just that simple of an iPod integration system in its new mm22 ($79.99, available for $58 online) portable speakers.
The mm22’s are foldable travel speakers intended to compete against Altec’s established inMotion series, and they appear to share at least some design DNA. Both companies’ speakers have the same two-driver-per-channel approach, and Logitech’s travel case, audio cables, and digital volume controls undeniably resemble Altec’s XT1 laptop speakers.
Differences begin in the iPod dock and mounting system; Altec’s speakers have large fold-out plastic bases that house iPod docks, while Logitech’s system uses three attachable plastic iPod cups without Dock Connectors, one each for iPod minis, thin iPods, and thicker iPods/iPod photos. There’s a metal mounting loop on the back to prop the system up, however, we’re finding that the system actually depends a fair bit on the unique plastic audio-in “leg” to keep everything stable, as the metal loop doesn’t lock in place or ratchet between positions.
Logitech includes an AC adapter with the mm22’s, but they can also be run off of four AAA batteries, loaded into two compartments on the back. Folded and carried without their case, they’re actually quite a bit smaller than Altec’s iM1/2/3/4s, but the case is a necessity since there’s no other included accessory that protects the exposed speaker drivers.
Sound quality? Volume’s in the same class as most of the other portable speakers we’ve tested - enough to fill a room, but not more. Distortion isn’t bad, and since bass doesn’t appear to be as ‘Maxxed’ as in the iM series, there’s a bit less compression in the sound. We’ll have more to say on this point soon, but the general impression is favorable. And the twistable speakers, as in the photo? It’s mostly a cosmetic thing, if you like your speakers visually angled.
- Apple Computer iTV / Apple TV First Look
- First Looks: PocketParty V2, Aural Earbuds, Cases for Apple Remote, nano, 5G
- First Looks: Kensington Dock 500/Radio Duo, Icuiti DV920, Belkin TuneBase FM & More
- First Looks Special: Motorola SLVR L7 iTunes Phone (photos inside)
- First Looks: Altec iM3c, SmartShare, OtterBox 5G, Commuter & Mork Mount
- First Looks: Applesauce, Blinkit, EyeTV 2, iM11, iRhythms & More
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Apple investigating “iCloud” celebrity photo hack
- Elgato debuts Eve home sensor product line
- Happy Labor Day from iLounge
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, last chance for August giveaway
- Apple to add 3X Retina Display support to iPhone 6?
- iPhone 6 logic board leak shows NFC, A8 chips
- Massive report reveals Apple’s PR strategies
- iWatch not shipping until 2015?
- Report: Dutch chipmaker NXP to provide iPhone 6 NFC chips
- Video Review: Parrot’s Jumping Sumo and Rolling Spider
- Grace Digital Ecostone Bluetooth Speaker
- Awesome Cables 6ft Braided Awesome Cable
- ZeroChroma Folio-Slide for iPad Air
- Juno Labs Juno Power HUE Pro
- Parrot Minidrone Jumping Sumo
- Parrot Minidrone Rolling Spider
- Stem Innovation Izon View
- Zivix PUC Wireless MIDI Link
- IK Multimedia iRig Voice
- Ten One Design Magnus Air
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0
- What’s New in iTunes 12
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- What’s New In iOS 8 For iPad, iPhone + iPod touch
- iLounge Multi-Editorial: WWDC 2014’s iOS 8, OS X Yosemite + More
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad, 2001 to 2010
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad: 2011 to Today