Tracking down phantom Podcasts in iTunes
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: In the podcast menu on my second-generation Apple TV there is an audio podcast that I unsubscribed to years ago, even before I bought the Apple TV. It only shows up on the Apple TV menu—not in iTunes. I have searched all subfolders in the iTunes folders and can’t find any sign of it. Any idea how I can delete it once and for all?
A: For whatever reason, podcasts unsubscribed to or deleted from the Podcasts listing in iTunes don’t always get properly removed from the actual iTunes library, and in many cases individual episodes or even an entire podcast series can remain hidden away in your iTunes library long after you would have thought they were gone. This problem was quite common in earlier versions of iTunes, but surprisingly still happens occasionally even in current versions, particularly when dealing with podcast subscriptions that you have had around for a while.
The Apple TV reveals these by default since it reads the library a bit differently. iTunes does not display podcasts in the Music or Movies sections, thereby hiding any podcasts that may still be in the library as simple audio or video tracks but no longer associated with a podcast series in the Podcasts section.
The good news, however, is that Smart Playlists are generally much more comprehensive at displaying anything that meets their particular criteria. A Smart Playlist similar to the following will create a list of every podcast in your iTunes library, regardless of whether it’s appearing in the Podcasts section or not.
After creating the above Smart Playlist, a quick comparison of the total tracks displayed at the bottom of your iTunes window between the main Podcasts section and the Smart Playlist will show you exactly how many of these hidden podcast episodes are actually in your library. As with any iTunes track listing, you can enable the column browser by selecting View, Column Browser, Show Column Browser from the iTunes menu which will allow you to filter the list to help narrow it down to a specific podcast episode or series that you may be looking for.
Alternatively, you can simply adjust the criteria for the Smart Playlist to help find an individual episode or series by name.
Once you’ve found the podcast in question, you can simply delete it from your library as you would any other track.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- ‘iPhone 8’ to have curved OLED screen, ditch Lightning port for USB-C across all models
- Apple releases fourth betas of iOS 10.3 + watchOS 3.2 to developers
- Third-party screen repairs no longer void iPhone warranty
- iDevices adds dynamic automation, enhanced scheduling to ‘Connected’ app for HomeKit
- Apple reports that iOS 10.2.1 significantly reduces unexpected iPhone 6s shutdown issues
- Mobiata announces sunset of FlightTrack 5 and FlightBoard apps
- Harman announces first Wireless CarPlay implementation
- Report: Apple still considering several possible wireless charging solutions for ‘iPhone 8’
- Mini Metro adds Endless Mode
- Apple issues statement opposing Trump administration’s rescission of transgender rights
- Soundcast VG1 Bluetooth Speaker
- PureGear PureSwitch HomeKit-enabled Wireless Smart Plug
- 1More Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones
- Revogi Smart Lightbulb, Smart Lightstrip, Smart Candle + Smart Meter Plug
- Audeze iSine10 In-Ear Headphones
- MOCACARE MOCACuff Connected Blood Pressure Monitor
- Apple AirPods
- Elgato Eve Motion
- Olloclip Core Lens Set for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Logitech Pop Home Switch Starter Pack
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10