Transfer preloaded music from an iPod touch to iTunes
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I just got a used fourth-generation iPod touch and there was already pre-loaded music on it. However, when I select the Transfer Purchases option in iTunes it wont transfer any of the music. How can I get the music from the iPod onto my computer?
A: The Transfer Purchases feature in iTunes is only designed for music that was purchased from the iTunes Store from an iTunes Store account that you have access to.
When you choose the Transfer Purchases option, iTunes goes through the connected iPod or iOS device and searches for any content that was purchased from the iTunes Store using an iTunes account that is authorized on your computer. Purchases made with any other iTunes Store account, or content from other sources (CDs, downloads from other music sites, etc) will not be transferred.
If the content on the iPod touch was purchased by a friend or family member, you will need to get their Apple ID and password so you can authorize your computer for that particular account before attempting to transfer purchases. You can do this by going to the Store menu in iTunes and choosing Authorize Computer. A dialog box will appear asking you to enter an Apple ID and password. Note that you can have more than one iTunes Store account authorized on a single computer, and authorizing a second account does not clear any prior authorizations.
Even in this case, however, iTunes will only transfer content that was purchased from the iTunes Store. Since most users also have content acquired from numerous other sources, you will likely need to look at a third-party application to copy any other content that you wish to retrieve from your iPod touch. Our guide to Copying Content from your iPod to your Computer can provide some useful information on how to recover non-purchased content along with some of the tools available to help you do so.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Screen protector installation now available at Apple Stores
- Russia mulling tax increase on App Store purchases, other Apple services
- Lawyers threaten to sue Apple over ‘Error 53’ codes disabling iPhones
- Apple releases iOS 9.3 beta 3, tvOS 9.2 beta 3, watchOS 2.2 beta 3 to developers
- Indie game ‘The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth’ rejected by Apple over violence toward children
- Apple likely to receive approval to open retail stores in India
- Study finds Apple Watch is best fitness tracker for privacy, security
- Conflicting reports over pink color to be featured in iPhone 5se
- Report: Some third-party repairs ‘bricking’ iPhones with iOS 9
- Report: Apple to bid on NFL Thursday Night Football streaming rights
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Urban Armor Gear Trooper for iPhone 6/6s
- NEBO CaseBrite for iPhone 6 Plus/6s Plus
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!