Transfer preloaded music from an iPod touch to iTunes
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I just got a used fourth-generation iPod touch and there was already pre-loaded music on it. However, when I select the Transfer Purchases option in iTunes it wont transfer any of the music. How can I get the music from the iPod onto my computer?
A: The Transfer Purchases feature in iTunes is only designed for music that was purchased from the iTunes Store from an iTunes Store account that you have access to.
When you choose the Transfer Purchases option, iTunes goes through the connected iPod or iOS device and searches for any content that was purchased from the iTunes Store using an iTunes account that is authorized on your computer. Purchases made with any other iTunes Store account, or content from other sources (CDs, downloads from other music sites, etc) will not be transferred.
If the content on the iPod touch was purchased by a friend or family member, you will need to get their Apple ID and password so you can authorize your computer for that particular account before attempting to transfer purchases. You can do this by going to the Store menu in iTunes and choosing Authorize Computer. A dialog box will appear asking you to enter an Apple ID and password. Note that you can have more than one iTunes Store account authorized on a single computer, and authorizing a second account does not clear any prior authorizations.
Even in this case, however, iTunes will only transfer content that was purchased from the iTunes Store. Since most users also have content acquired from numerous other sources, you will likely need to look at a third-party application to copy any other content that you wish to retrieve from your iPod touch. Our guide to Copying Content from your iPod to your Computer can provide some useful information on how to recover non-purchased content along with some of the tools available to help you do so.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple launches CareKit, with four apps debuting today
- Alleged schematics for iPhone 7 ‘Pro’ show up in Japanese magazine
- Nintendo bringing Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing to iOS
- FBI will not disclose San Bernardino iPhone hack
- Notes from Apple’s Q2 2016 earnings call
- Apple Q2 results: $50.6B revenue, 51M iPhones, 10M iPads sold
- Logi BASE is first stand to charge iPad Pro through Smart Connector
- India demands ‘panic button’ on iPhone by 2017
- Apple extends iPhone Upgrade Program to online store
- Apple reportedly ‘willing to help’ reactivate missing teen’s iPhone
- August Smart Lock HomeKit enabled + Smart Keypad
- ecobee3 HomeKit-enabled smart Wi-Fi thermostat
- Zagg Now Cam
- Yantouch EyE Portable Wireless Speaker
- Netatmo Wind Gauge
- Incipio Stashback for iPhone 6/6s
- Schlage Sense Smart Deadbolt with HomeKit support
- ClamCase ClamCase Pro for iPad mini 4
- Brydge BrydgeMini II Keyboard for iPad mini 4
- VRS Design Crystal Bumper, High Pro Shield, Layered Dandy + Thor for iPhone SE
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 9.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.3
- Opinion: Why Apple needs a dedicated HomeKit app
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)