Transfer preloaded music from an iPod touch to iTunes
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I just got a used fourth-generation iPod touch and there was already pre-loaded music on it. However, when I select the Transfer Purchases option in iTunes it wont transfer any of the music. How can I get the music from the iPod onto my computer?
A: The Transfer Purchases feature in iTunes is only designed for music that was purchased from the iTunes Store from an iTunes Store account that you have access to.
When you choose the Transfer Purchases option, iTunes goes through the connected iPod or iOS device and searches for any content that was purchased from the iTunes Store using an iTunes account that is authorized on your computer. Purchases made with any other iTunes Store account, or content from other sources (CDs, downloads from other music sites, etc) will not be transferred.
If the content on the iPod touch was purchased by a friend or family member, you will need to get their Apple ID and password so you can authorize your computer for that particular account before attempting to transfer purchases. You can do this by going to the Store menu in iTunes and choosing Authorize Computer. A dialog box will appear asking you to enter an Apple ID and password. Note that you can have more than one iTunes Store account authorized on a single computer, and authorizing a second account does not clear any prior authorizations.
Even in this case, however, iTunes will only transfer content that was purchased from the iTunes Store. Since most users also have content acquired from numerous other sources, you will likely need to look at a third-party application to copy any other content that you wish to retrieve from your iPod touch. Our guide to Copying Content from your iPod to your Computer can provide some useful information on how to recover non-purchased content along with some of the tools available to help you do so.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple plans to begin iPhone manufacturing in India starting with the iPhone SE
- Rumor: iPhone 8 to eliminate Touch ID in favor of Facial Recognition
- Report: Apple working on 4K for next-generation Apple TV
- Apple announces WWDC 2017
- Apple patent points to possible new Smart Keyboard with dedicated ‘Share’ and ‘Emoji’ keys
- Jaguar announces in-car Apple Pay payment option at UK Shell gas stations
- Shareholders seek more diversity in Apple upper management
- Apple to fight Nebraska ‘right to repair’ bill
- Apple eyeing another supplier for future OLED screens
- Facebook announces Apple TV app along with iOS app video improvements
- 1More Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones
- Revogi Smart Lightbulb, Smart Lightstrip, Smart Candle + Smart Meter Plug
- Audeze iSine10 In-Ear Headphones
- MOCACARE MOCACuff Connected Blood Pressure Monitor
- Apple AirPods
- Elgato Eve Motion
- Olloclip Core Lens Set for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Logitech Pop Home Switch Starter Pack
- Elgato Eve Light Switch
- iHome iPLWBT5 Docking Clock Radio for iPhone and Apple Watch
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10