Transferring a Windows iPod to a MacBook
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I have a Windows formatted iPod and I recently bought a MacBook. I want to move my music from my PC (running XP). Do I need to reformat my iPod before running software on the MacBook? Is the reformatting is necessary for the software and iTunes to run properly?
A: When moving from a Windows computer to a Mac, it is not necessary to reformat the iPod, as Mac OS X will happily read a Windows-formatted disk. In this case, you should be able to simply connect the iPod to your MacBook and proceed with whatever third-party recovery software that you would use to transfer your music back from your iPod to your computer.
Once you have recovered your content from your iPod and rebuilt your iTunes library on the MacBook, you can then either leave the iPod formatted for Windows, or choose to reformat it for Mac OS X.
Leaving it formatted for Windows will offer the advantage of compatibility with both platforms (so you could use any free space to use it as a portable storage device between both operating systems). However, it should be noted that using a Windows-formatted iPod on Mac OS X is not technically a supported configuration as far as Apple is concerned, and there have been odd problems in the past that have been related to this configuration. Further, a Windows-formatted iPod cannot be updated to newer firmware versions from a Mac.
Since rebuilding your iTunes library on your MacBook will ultimately result in the iPod being erased and reloaded from your new iTunes library (even though the content will be the same), doing a full “Restore” on the device from within iTunes will not take any longer than it would to simply reload the iPod from the MacBook as a Windows-formatted device.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- CBS CEO Moonves notes Apple talks have stopped
- Apple will source iPhone 7 ‘A10’ CPU solely from TSMC
- Federal bill aims to take regulatory power for phone encryption out of state hands
- Job post shows Apple emphasizing new complications, faces for Apple Watch
- New comments hint at forthcoming streaming TV service from Apple
- Apple Music available on Sonos starting today
- Screen protector installation now available at Apple Stores
- Russia mulling tax increase on App Store purchases, other Apple services
- Lawyers threaten to sue Apple over ‘Error 53’ codes disabling iPhones
- Apple releases iOS 9.3 beta 3, tvOS 9.2 beta 3, watchOS 2.2 beta 3 to developers
- Vicks SmartTemp Wireless Smartphone Thermometer
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Urban Armor Gear Trooper for iPhone 6/6s
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!