Transferring apps from iPhone to iPad
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: What is the easiest way in which to transfer the apps that I have on my existing iPhone 3GS to an iPad?
A: The simplest way to do this is via your iTunes library. Ordinarily when you sync with iTunes anything you’ve purchased, including apps, is automatically transferred from your device back to your iTunes library, provided your computer is authorized for the same iTunes Store account(s) used to purchase the items.
If your computer has not been authorized for the appropriate iTunes Store accounts you can manually do this by selecting Store, Authorize Computer from the iTunes menu and then entering your iTunes Store username and password. You cana lso initiate a manual transfer of purchased items back from your device by connecting it to your computer and then right-clicking on it in the iTunes Devices listing and choosing Transfer Purchases.
Once your apps are in your iTunes library you can simply sync them over to your iPad in the same way as you would with your iPhone—connect the iPad, select the “Apps” tab and choose which apps you want to transfer to your iPad.
If you’re not near your computer you can also simply repurchase the apps on the iPad using the same iTunes Store account. Unlike media content, Apple allows you to freely re-download any apps you’ve already purchased.
Note that neither of these methods will actually transfer any of your application data to your iPad, only the apps themselves will be installed. If you have apps that sync data with an online service or desktop counterpart you can of course resync that data to the iPad in the normal manner.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple acquires automation app Workflow
- Nintendo updates Super Mario Run, makes more courses available for free play
- Apple confirms iCloud and Apple ID systems have not been breached in response to hacker threat
- Hackers claim to have access to millions of iCloud accounts, demand ransom from Apple
- Apple’s Siri in the running to voice control room functions at Marriott’s Aloft hotels
- Apple releases iTunes 12.6 with new cross-device movie rental feature
- Apple introduces Clips video app
- Apple reveals(RED) iPhone 7, 7 Plus models, doubles storage of iPhone SE
- Apple drops 32GB iPad mini 4, reduces price of 128GB model and discontinues iPad mini 2
- Apple unveils new upgraded entry-level 9.7” iPad, replacing iPad Air 2
- ExoLens PRO with Optics by ZEISS Wide-Angle Lens Kit
- Blue Sadie Headphones
- Circle with Disney Parental Control and Internet Filtering System
- Pioneer Rayz Plus Lightning Connector Earphones
- BEEM United BeMe D200 Lightning Connector Earphones
- Jam Audio JAM Xterior Max Rugged Wireless Bluetooth Speaker
- HiFiMAN Edition S Headphones
- Divoom Timebox Mini Bluetooth Speaker
- iClever BoostSound BTS-09 Bluetooth Speaker
- Soundcast VG1 Bluetooth Speaker
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10