Transferring apps from iPhone to iPad
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: What is the easiest way in which to transfer the apps that I have on my existing iPhone 3GS to an iPad?
A: The simplest way to do this is via your iTunes library. Ordinarily when you sync with iTunes anything you’ve purchased, including apps, is automatically transferred from your device back to your iTunes library, provided your computer is authorized for the same iTunes Store account(s) used to purchase the items.
If your computer has not been authorized for the appropriate iTunes Store accounts you can manually do this by selecting Store, Authorize Computer from the iTunes menu and then entering your iTunes Store username and password. You cana lso initiate a manual transfer of purchased items back from your device by connecting it to your computer and then right-clicking on it in the iTunes Devices listing and choosing Transfer Purchases.
Once your apps are in your iTunes library you can simply sync them over to your iPad in the same way as you would with your iPhone—connect the iPad, select the “Apps” tab and choose which apps you want to transfer to your iPad.
If you’re not near your computer you can also simply repurchase the apps on the iPad using the same iTunes Store account. Unlike media content, Apple allows you to freely re-download any apps you’ve already purchased.
Note that neither of these methods will actually transfer any of your application data to your iPad, only the apps themselves will be installed. If you have apps that sync data with an online service or desktop counterpart you can of course resync that data to the iPad in the normal manner.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Instagram 9.2 update for iOS includes pinch-to-zoom on photos and videos
- Judge dismisses key claims of Monster’s case against Beats over Apple deal
- Apple adds 2TB iCloud storage option
- Spec sheet shows Lightning EarPods, Lightning headphone adapter packed in with 256GB iPhone 7 Plus
- Papa John’s releases pizza-ordering app for Apple TV
- Apple call Australian banks’ request a ‘detriment to consumers’
- EU determines Apple should pay 13 billion euros in back taxes to Ireland; Apple plans appeal
- SIM tray photos hint at alleged ‘gloss black’ iPhone color
- Trademark filings hint at wireless EarPods, two new Apple Watch models
- Report: EU to rule against Apple-Ireland tax deals, recommend Apple pay 1B+ Euros
- Kanex GoPower Watch Portable Battery for Apple Watch
- Nuvyyo Tablo Over-the-Air Television DVR
- Belkin PowerHouse Charge Dock for Apple Watch and iPhone
- Western Digital My Cloud (OS 3)
- Distil Union Stanley Stand
- Philips Sonicare FlexCare Platinum Connected Bluetooth Toothbrush
- Audeze EL-8 Titanium Over-Ear Headphones
- Defined Corp Dome Stand for Apple Watch and iPhone
- Speck StyleFolio Pencil for 9.7” iPad Pro
- Audeze Sine On-Ear Headphone
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 9.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.3
- Opinion: Why Apple needs a dedicated HomeKit app