Transferring apps from iPhone to iPad
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: What is the easiest way in which to transfer the apps that I have on my existing iPhone 3GS to an iPad?
A: The simplest way to do this is via your iTunes library. Ordinarily when you sync with iTunes anything you’ve purchased, including apps, is automatically transferred from your device back to your iTunes library, provided your computer is authorized for the same iTunes Store account(s) used to purchase the items.
If your computer has not been authorized for the appropriate iTunes Store accounts you can manually do this by selecting Store, Authorize Computer from the iTunes menu and then entering your iTunes Store username and password. You cana lso initiate a manual transfer of purchased items back from your device by connecting it to your computer and then right-clicking on it in the iTunes Devices listing and choosing Transfer Purchases.
Once your apps are in your iTunes library you can simply sync them over to your iPad in the same way as you would with your iPhone—connect the iPad, select the “Apps” tab and choose which apps you want to transfer to your iPad.
If you’re not near your computer you can also simply repurchase the apps on the iPad using the same iTunes Store account. Unlike media content, Apple allows you to freely re-download any apps you’ve already purchased.
Note that neither of these methods will actually transfer any of your application data to your iPad, only the apps themselves will be installed. If you have apps that sync data with an online service or desktop counterpart you can of course resync that data to the iPad in the normal manner.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- ResearchKit study conducted using Apple Watch reveals new insights into seizures
- Instagram adds ability to include up to 10 photos or videos in a single post
- Facebook’s talks with MLB raise possibility that game streams could come to Apple TV
- Analyst claims wireless charging will be included in ‘iPhone 8,’ but rules out Energous as provider
- Apple claims EU made ‘fundamental errors’ in calculating $14B Irish tax ruling
- Analyst: ‘iPhone 8’ to feature ‘revolutionary’ front-facing camera with 3D sensors
- Apple releases third betas for iOS 10.3, tvOS 10.2, and watchOS 3.2 to developers
- Happy Presidents’ Day from iLounge
- Apple plans to begin iPhone manufacturing in India starting with the iPhone SE
- Rumor: iPhone 8 to eliminate Touch ID in favor of Facial Recognition
- PureGear PureSwitch HomeKit-enabled Wireless Smart Plug
- 1More Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones
- Revogi Smart Lightbulb, Smart Lightstrip, Smart Candle + Smart Meter Plug
- Audeze iSine10 In-Ear Headphones
- MOCACARE MOCACuff Connected Blood Pressure Monitor
- Apple AirPods
- Elgato Eve Motion
- Olloclip Core Lens Set for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Logitech Pop Home Switch Starter Pack
- Elgato Eve Light Switch
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10