Transferring contacts from iPod touch to a second computer
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: How can I download my contact list from my iPod touch to a second computer?
A: Unless you have jailbroken your iPod touch, there is no way to get at the contact list on the iPod except through the normal iTunes or MobileMe synchronization process.
If you’re synchronizing your contacts via iTunes, however, and you have iTunes on the second computer, you can simply connect your iPod to that computer and configure the synchronization to your address book like you normally would. Although you cannot synchronize your music and video content to or from more than one computer, iTunes does allow you to synchronize your contact, calendar and bookmark information back from your iPod touch or iPhone to another iTunes library, provided you want to sync it with a compatible application such as Microsoft Outlook, Windows Address Book or the Mac OS X Address Book.
When you connect your iPod touch to iTunes on a new computer and configure address book synchronization, iTunes will notify you that you already have content on your iPod touch from another computer, and ask you whether you want to replace the information on your iPod with the information on that computer, or merge the info from both the computer and the iPod touch.
Choosing “Merge Info” will copy your contact information from the iPod touch into the address book application on the second computer, and any information in the address book on the second computer will also be added to the iPod touch.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Hackers claim to have access to millions of iCloud accounts, demand ransom from Apple
- Apple’s Siri in the running to voice control room functions at Marriott’s Aloft hotels
- Apple releases iTunes 12.6 with new cross-device movie rental feature
- Apple introduces Clips video app
- Apple reveals(RED) iPhone 7, 7 Plus models, doubles storage of iPhone SE
- Apple drops 32GB iPad mini 4, reduces price of 128GB model and discontinues iPad mini 2
- Apple unveils new upgraded entry-level 9.7” iPad, replacing iPad Air 2
- Apple Store going down for ‘maintenance’ tomorrow morning, sparking rumors of product launch
- Politicians in New Zealand raise alarm about Apple’s tax arrangements
- Fabricate announces Nearbuds for AirPods
- Blue Sadie Headphones
- Circle with Disney Parental Control and Internet Filtering System
- Pioneer Rayz Plus Lightning Connector Earphones
- BEEM United BeMe D200 Lightning Connector Earphones
- Jam Audio JAM Xterior Max Rugged Wireless Bluetooth Speaker
- HiFiMAN Edition S Headphones
- Divoom Timebox Mini Bluetooth Speaker
- iClever BoostSound BTS-09 Bluetooth Speaker
- Soundcast VG1 Bluetooth Speaker
- PureGear PureSwitch HomeKit-enabled Wireless Smart Plug
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10