Transferring iBookstore purchases between devices
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I have bought a book on iBooks using my iPad but I can’t get the book to appear in the iBooks app on my iPhone. If you buy a book on one device can you not read it on another even if they are using the same iTunes account on the same PC?
A: Books purchased through the iBookstore on one device are not automatically downloaded by the other device directly over the air. Instead you must either sync them via iTunes on your computer or re-download them manually from the iBookstore “Purchases” screen.
Books purchased from the iBookstore on your device are automatically transferred back to iTunes during the next sync provided your computer has been authorized for the iTunes Store account used to purchase those books. To manually authorize your computer for your iTunes Store account, simply choose Authorize Computer from the Store menu in iTunes and enter your username and password when prompted.
Once transferred, these books become available for syncing to other iOS devices via the “Books” tab in the iTunes Device settings.
If you have the “Sync Books” setting enabled for your device in iTunes, any new books transferred in from other device will be automatically selected for synchronization, regardless of whether you are syncing “All Books” or “Selected Books.” This means that as long as you have syncing of books enabled for your iPhone any books you’ve purchased on your iPad should automatically end up on your iPhone once you’ve synced both devices with iTunes. If the “Sync Books” option is not enabled for your iPhone, you can simply enable it from here, choose to select all books in your library or only selected books and then select the title(s) you would like to sync with your device.
Alternatively, all of your purchased books appear in the iBookstore on your device under the “Purchases” tab. This listing includes all books that you’ve purchased from the iBookstore on any device with the same iTunes Store account. From here you can download any of your purchases, regardless of which device they were originally purchased from simply by tapping the “Redownload” button beside the title.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- GarageBand 2.2 adds Logic Pro X integration, Alchemy synth, Multi-Take Recording
- FTC files complaint against Qualcomm citing royalty deal with Apple
- India mulling manufacturing regulation changes which could woo Apple
- Apple Music creative team discusses the service’s exclusives, future
- Apple raising UK App Store prices by more than 25 percent
- Iovine fuels speculation about Apple’s interest in scripted TV shows
- Report: ‘iPhone 8’ to include upgraded water resistance
- U.S. appeals court resurrects App Store antitrust lawsuit against Apple
- Apple increases maximum tvOS app size to 4GB
- Apple releases fourth iOS 10.2.1 beta
- Revogi Smart Lightbulb, Smart Lightstrip, Smart Candle + Smart Meter Plug
- Audeze iSine10 In-Ear Headphones
- MOCACARE MOCACuff Connected Blood Pressure Monitor
- Apple AirPods
- Elgato Eve Motion
- Olloclip Core Lens Set for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Logitech Pop Home Switch Starter Pack
- Elgato Eve Light Switch
- iHome iPLWBT5 Docking Clock Radio for iPhone and Apple Watch
- Brydge 12.9 iPad Pro Keyboard
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10