Transferring iBookstore purchases between devices
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I have bought a book on iBooks using my iPad but I can’t get the book to appear in the iBooks app on my iPhone. If you buy a book on one device can you not read it on another even if they are using the same iTunes account on the same PC?
A: Books purchased through the iBookstore on one device are not automatically downloaded by the other device directly over the air. Instead you must either sync them via iTunes on your computer or re-download them manually from the iBookstore “Purchases” screen.
Books purchased from the iBookstore on your device are automatically transferred back to iTunes during the next sync provided your computer has been authorized for the iTunes Store account used to purchase those books. To manually authorize your computer for your iTunes Store account, simply choose Authorize Computer from the Store menu in iTunes and enter your username and password when prompted.
Once transferred, these books become available for syncing to other iOS devices via the “Books” tab in the iTunes Device settings.
If you have the “Sync Books” setting enabled for your device in iTunes, any new books transferred in from other device will be automatically selected for synchronization, regardless of whether you are syncing “All Books” or “Selected Books.” This means that as long as you have syncing of books enabled for your iPhone any books you’ve purchased on your iPad should automatically end up on your iPhone once you’ve synced both devices with iTunes. If the “Sync Books” option is not enabled for your iPhone, you can simply enable it from here, choose to select all books in your library or only selected books and then select the title(s) you would like to sync with your device.
Alternatively, all of your purchased books appear in the iBookstore on your device under the “Purchases” tab. This listing includes all books that you’ve purchased from the iBookstore on any device with the same iTunes Store account. From here you can download any of your purchases, regardless of which device they were originally purchased from simply by tapping the “Redownload” button beside the title.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Screen protector installation now available at Apple Stores
- Russia mulling tax increase on App Store purchases, other Apple services
- Lawyers threaten to sue Apple over ‘Error 53’ codes disabling iPhones
- Apple releases iOS 9.3 beta 3, tvOS 9.2 beta 3, watchOS 2.2 beta 3 to developers
- Indie game ‘The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth’ rejected by Apple over violence toward children
- Apple likely to receive approval to open retail stores in India
- Study finds Apple Watch is best fitness tracker for privacy, security
- Conflicting reports over pink color to be featured in iPhone 5se
- Report: Some third-party repairs ‘bricking’ iPhones with iOS 9
- Report: Apple to bid on NFL Thursday Night Football streaming rights
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Urban Armor Gear Trooper for iPhone 6/6s
- NEBO CaseBrite for iPhone 6 Plus/6s Plus
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!