Transferring iBookstore purchases between devices
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I have bought a book on iBooks using my iPad but I can’t get the book to appear in the iBooks app on my iPhone. If you buy a book on one device can you not read it on another even if they are using the same iTunes account on the same PC?
A: Books purchased through the iBookstore on one device are not automatically downloaded by the other device directly over the air. Instead you must either sync them via iTunes on your computer or re-download them manually from the iBookstore “Purchases” screen.
Books purchased from the iBookstore on your device are automatically transferred back to iTunes during the next sync provided your computer has been authorized for the iTunes Store account used to purchase those books. To manually authorize your computer for your iTunes Store account, simply choose Authorize Computer from the Store menu in iTunes and enter your username and password when prompted.
Once transferred, these books become available for syncing to other iOS devices via the “Books” tab in the iTunes Device settings.
If you have the “Sync Books” setting enabled for your device in iTunes, any new books transferred in from other device will be automatically selected for synchronization, regardless of whether you are syncing “All Books” or “Selected Books.” This means that as long as you have syncing of books enabled for your iPhone any books you’ve purchased on your iPad should automatically end up on your iPhone once you’ve synced both devices with iTunes. If the “Sync Books” option is not enabled for your iPhone, you can simply enable it from here, choose to select all books in your library or only selected books and then select the title(s) you would like to sync with your device.
Alternatively, all of your purchased books appear in the iBookstore on your device under the “Purchases” tab. This listing includes all books that you’ve purchased from the iBookstore on any device with the same iTunes Store account. From here you can download any of your purchases, regardless of which device they were originally purchased from simply by tapping the “Redownload” button beside the title.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple Store app update allows purchases from Apple Watch
- Apple releases fifth beta of iOS 10.2 to developers
- Apple reveals cause of unexpected iPhone 6s shutdowns
- Report: 99 percent of fake Apple chargers found to be unsafe
- Apple offering battery replacements for iPhone 6s models with ‘unexpected shutdown issues’ (Updated)
- Report: Fitbit to acquire Pebble
- Apple releases statement on iCloud Calendar spam
- Apple sending out drones to improve Maps data, adding interior building maps
- Tim Cook allegedly tells customer AirPods to ship in ‘next few weeks’
- Apple Pay reportedly launching in Spain tomorrow
- iHome iZBT10 Zenergy Bedside Sleep Therapy Speaker
- Twelve South HiRise Duet for Apple Watch and iPhone
- IK Multimedia iLoud Micro Monitor
- JBL Under Armour Sport Wireless Heart Rate Headphones
- Edifier e235 Luna E Speaker System
- Clamcase ClamCase+ for 9.7” iPad Pro
- Scosche BoomBottle H2O+ Waterproof Wireless Speaker
- Thermos Connected Hydration Bottle with Smart Lid
- Beats Solo3 Wireless On-Ear Headphones
- Creative iRoar Go Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10