Transferring iPod music to iPad 2
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: My MacBook was recently stolen. Good news is all my music and movies are on my iPod. I’m thinking of getting a new iPad 2 but wanted to make sure I don’t lose everything on my iPod. Is there a way to transfer my music/movies from my iPod to the iPad 2 without using a separate computer? Can you transfer directly onto the iPad 2 if you buy the USB Connector Kit? Thanks!
A: Unfortunately you will need a computer of some kind in order to transfer the content from your iPod over to a new iPad 2. The iPad Camera Connection Kit is only designed to transfer photos and compatible videos from a digital camera or digital camera SD card, and will not transfer any data that is not a photo or video.
Note that this doesn’t necessarily need to be the computer you originally set the iPod up on—merely somewhere that you can copy the files to so that you can re-sync them to your iPad through iTunes. You’ll also technically need iTunes to activate your iPad for the first time as well, although most Apple Stores will be more than happy to plug in your iPad and active it for you in the store if you want to get going right away.
Depending on which model of iPod you’re using, you may need a Mac in order to transfer the content from your old iPod, but you can setup the iPad on either a Mac or Windows PC without any concern as to which computer you’ll ultimately be using it with. See our guide on Copying Content from your iPod to your Computer for more detailed information on how to recover content from your old iPod. Once you’ve got the information back, transferring it to your new iPad is simply a matter of importing it into an iTunes library and syncing it on as you normally would.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple’s new ‘Echo rival’ may feature a camera
- Apple ‘working rapidly’ to extend Apple Pay to more countries
- Report: Apple’s Siri-based Amazon Echo competitor will be a new Apple TV
- Report: Apple SVP Eddy Cue proposed bid to buy Time Warner
- Beta testing for Pokémon GO begins in the U.S.
- Apple’s plan to open stores in India hits a snag (Update: India’s finance minister ratifies ruling)
- Apple looking into charging stations for electric cars
- Apple hires hint at improvements in encryption, health monitoring
- Hyundai adds CarPlay support to more vehicles
- Plaintiffs file new motion to keep ‘Error 53’ Touch ID lawsuit alive
- OtterBox Symmetry Series Hybrid Case for 12.9” iPad Pro
- Logitech Logi BASE Charging Stand for iPad Pro
- Twelve South TimePorter for Apple Watch
- August Doorbell Cam
- August Smart Lock HomeKit enabled + Smart Keypad
- ecobee3 HomeKit-enabled smart Wi-Fi thermostat
- Zagg Now Cam
- Yantouch EyE Portable Wireless Speaker
- Netatmo Wind Gauge
- Incipio Stashback for iPhone 6/6s
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 9.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.3
- Opinion: Why Apple needs a dedicated HomeKit app
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)