Transferring iPod music to iPad 2
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: My MacBook was recently stolen. Good news is all my music and movies are on my iPod. I’m thinking of getting a new iPad 2 but wanted to make sure I don’t lose everything on my iPod. Is there a way to transfer my music/movies from my iPod to the iPad 2 without using a separate computer? Can you transfer directly onto the iPad 2 if you buy the USB Connector Kit? Thanks!
A: Unfortunately you will need a computer of some kind in order to transfer the content from your iPod over to a new iPad 2. The iPad Camera Connection Kit is only designed to transfer photos and compatible videos from a digital camera or digital camera SD card, and will not transfer any data that is not a photo or video.
Note that this doesn’t necessarily need to be the computer you originally set the iPod up on—merely somewhere that you can copy the files to so that you can re-sync them to your iPad through iTunes. You’ll also technically need iTunes to activate your iPad for the first time as well, although most Apple Stores will be more than happy to plug in your iPad and active it for you in the store if you want to get going right away.
Depending on which model of iPod you’re using, you may need a Mac in order to transfer the content from your old iPod, but you can setup the iPad on either a Mac or Windows PC without any concern as to which computer you’ll ultimately be using it with. See our guide on Copying Content from your iPod to your Computer for more detailed information on how to recover content from your old iPod. Once you’ve got the information back, transferring it to your new iPad is simply a matter of importing it into an iTunes library and syncing it on as you normally would.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Report: AirPods delay due to problems with wireless audio synchronization
- Apple offering hands-on demos of Super Mario Run in stores
- Report: Apple pursuing studio agreements for early movie rentals
- Apple releases seventh beta of iOS 10.2 to developers
- Apple makes its picks for best iPhone, iPad and Apple TV apps of 2016
- Apple acknowledges Apple Music now includes ‘all the benefits of iTunes Match’
- Apple Music tops 20 million subscribers
- Apple blames ‘external factors’ for iPhone fires in China
- Rumor: 2017 iPhones won’t include glass chassis or wireless charging; will add red color
- Top Apple supplier Foxconn planning U.S. investment
- Elgato Eve Light Switch
- iHome iPLWBT5 Docking Clock Radio for iPhone and Apple Watch
- Brydge 12.9 iPad Pro Keyboard
- Sen.se GuardPeanut
- iHome iZBT10 Zenergy Bedside Sleep Therapy Speaker
- Twelve South HiRise Duet for Apple Watch and iPhone
- IK Multimedia iLoud Micro Monitor
- JBL Under Armour Sport Wireless Heart Rate Headphones
- Edifier e235 Luna E Speaker System
- Clamcase ClamCase+ for 9.7” iPad Pro
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10