Transferring iTunes Library from Old PC to New | iLounge Article

Article

Transferring iTunes Library from Old PC to New

Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.

View the complete Ask iLounge archives...

Q: I have just recently ordered a G4 PowerBook: how do I get my music from iTunes on my PC to my Mac quickly and painlessly?

- Graeme

A: Since the iPod is basically a portable hard disk, it’s easy to copy data from one computer and move it to another one. Apple has an excellent tutorial on doing exactly this.

Kirk McElhearn is the author of several books including iPod & iTunes Garage. His blog, Kirkville features articles about the iPod, iTunes, Mac OS X and much more.

« Version Numbers: iTunes versus iPod Software Updater

Popularity of the U2 iPod »

Comments

Is it possible to shuffle a particular album? I’ve got loads of Beatles albums on my iPod Photo, but I can’t seem to get it to shuffle just that artist, it shuffles albums at random when I select shuffle from the main menu. Am I doing something dumn?

Posted by Kirk McElhearn on December 23, 2004 at 5:15 AM (CST)

I was given the Griffen FM transmitter as a gift.  It works as advertised, but there’s a SIGNIFICANT drop in sound quality.  Any suggestions?

Posted by Kirk McElhearn on December 23, 2004 at 8:15 AM (CST)

raredevice:

In the settings menu there is the shuffle option, if you set this to “songs” it will shuffle between songs on whatever you play, be it playlist, album, all of the songs from an artist, genre, etc.

Hope this helps.

T

Posted by Kirk McElhearn on December 23, 2004 at 9:46 AM (CST)

Can I use my Windows formatted iPod on a Mac computer?  In the FAQ it says it would be better to leave the iPod formatted as an HFS drive than a FAT32 drive for better reliability.  But how is using the iPod as a FAT32 drive less reliable in Mac OS X?  I primarily use my iPod to sync iTunes on my PowerBook, but would like to use it as a portable hard drive with my PC.

Posted by Kirk McElhearn on December 23, 2004 at 11:51 AM (CST)

I have a MacFormatted iPod and I use it to tote files to my office.  I use MacDrive (http://www.mediafour.com) on XP, pcjr.  It’s worth the $50, as MacOpener BSoD’s my office XP machine every time I unplug and then replug my iPod.  Go figure.

Posted by Kirk McElhearn on December 23, 2004 at 2:50 PM (CST)

I just bought an ipod hp… I’ve installed it on my pc and it works fine…  but, I am trying to play the songs from my ipod on another computer (work) using itunes. The song list on the ipod is locked.  I called tech support and they tell me the only way I can play the songs from my ipod are: (1) use my earbuds; (2) use an RCA connection to a receiver.

I have a friend who has the original ipod and he can play songs straight out of his ipod connecting to his computer without an RCA cable and not copying music files on the pc’s hard drive.

What can I do?  other than copying my mp3 files on my work pc’s hard drive.

Posted by Kirk McElhearn on December 23, 2004 at 2:53 PM (CST)

I recently purchased a used ipod, 20GB, and with it came the A/C charger plug and the chords for connecting to the computer. I did not receive any disk/software so I’m wondering how to download needed software to hook up to music site. How do I register my ipod and take out old user’s info from ipod? The previous owner had some music on the ipod and I’m wondering if I can pick & choose what I want to save and how to delete some music? Tx, dd

Posted by Kirk McElhearn on December 24, 2004 at 7:50 AM (CST)

Hi. I have a 4G 20gig iPod and I have a question about ejecting the iPod from iTunes. I used to have my iPod on manual update and Iw as required to maunally eject it from the program each time I uploaded more music. Now, I have it on automatic but for some reason I am still required to eject it manually. How can I get this function to go back to automatic?

Posted by Kirk McElhearn on December 24, 2004 at 11:53 AM (CST)

I have a third generation 20 gig iPod and am wondering where I can buy a dock for it.  Apple dosen’t seem to sell 3G docks anymore, only 4G and photo docks.

Posted by Kirk McElhearn on December 25, 2004 at 7:58 AM (CST)

jcl4723: you have to set the ipod to manual update mode (right-click on the ipod, and select options) by changing it from automatic-sync mode.

Bahubeshi: You need to take your ipod off disk mode. This is also in the iPod options screen. It will mean though, that you can’t use it as a hard drive in ‘my computer.’

Posted by Kirk McElhearn on December 25, 2004 at 8:08 AM (CST)

I have just purchased an iPod mini, having been told by th eretailer that it will work with Windows Me. Does anyone know how to get it to work with Me?

Posted by Kirk McElhearn on December 25, 2004 at 10:05 AM (CST)

I received a mini ipod for Christmas, I need to know if you can tell me how to turn up the volume?

Posted by Kirk McElhearn on December 25, 2004 at 10:56 AM (CST)

Posted by Kirk McElhearn on December 25, 2004 at 10:56 AM (CST)

I’ve recently installed iTunes 4.7 and it cant seem to import/rip my CD’s properly when I insert them into my laptop. Is this a bug for iTunes 4.7 and do you guys encourage to just go back to 4.6?

Thanks!

Posted by Kirk McElhearn on December 25, 2004 at 11:12 AM (CST)

My husband and I both have 40G iPods… We sync from the same library… His shows this:
Songs: 3608
Available: 33.7 GB

Mine shows this:
Songs: 3688
Available: 22.5 GB

When I hook up his iPod the memory meter on the bottom shows closer to mine (22.5 GB remaining) so what is with his ABOUT page that shows so much memory available and mine that shows more accurately?

Thanks.

Annie

Posted by Kirk McElhearn on December 25, 2004 at 5:42 PM (CST)

Sorry… I hadn’t done a sync before that last post and the numbers were a bit off… Here is what I meant to say:

His:
Songs: 3709
Available: 33.7 GB

Mine:
Songs: 3709
Available: 22.4 GB

Any thoughts on why this is so?

Annie

Posted by Kirk McElhearn on December 25, 2004 at 5:47 PM (CST)

Okay, here is my problem. Just got a new iPod, however when i connect it to iTunes , nothing is recjognized, it doesn’t configure at that stage in setup, and windows doesnt detect the hardware as it does with my other USB devices. I have tried other programs , and none of them reckognizee them as well. Im pretty sure the iPod isnt faulty, considering i Just got it from apple, all wrapped, its ligit. If anyone could help then thanks i cant wait to use it. Im running Windows XP Home Edition and a 20 GB iPod and a click wheel. By the way it is that iPod +hp ipod kind of thing if that makes a difference. Thank you

-Nicco

Posted by Kirk McElhearn on December 25, 2004 at 6:31 PM (CST)

I just received an iPod Mini for Christmas. I am currently running Mac OS 9.2, however the software requires OS X. Does anyone know where I could possibly download software for OS 9?

Posted by Kirk McElhearn on December 25, 2004 at 8:44 PM (CST)

I just ripped some music from a CD using iTunes.  How do I import those files to another folder outside of Itunes so I can put them on another type of mp3 player?

Posted by Kirk McElhearn on December 26, 2004 at 12:26 AM (CST)

I just received an 20 GB IPOD for Christmas. Now, my questions deals with the iTunes software.

1. I downloaded the latest version of iTunes from the Apple site. Therefore, do I still need to install the disc into my computer, or not?

2. In iTunes, exactly how do you transfer songs into a created playlist? I know how to create a playlist, but I have no idea how to transfer the songs into the playlist.

3. All of music (ripped CD’s and MP3’S) is WMA files. Now, I heard you can’t use WMA for the IPOD. If that’s true, what do I do? Do I need to re-rip the CD’s and transfer my MP3’s using the iTunes software?

4. As I said, all of my music is WMA files, and I play it all using the Windows Media Player. Every time I use iTunes, it shows a message asking me to “set iTunes as the default player.” Does this matter? I’d actually prefer to keep the Windows Media Player as the default player. Besides, I still can play the same music using iTunes.

I know, it’s a lot of questions. But I’m new to the world of IPOD. I’d really appreciate some answers. Thanks in advance.

Posted by Kirk McElhearn on December 26, 2004 at 5:18 AM (CST)