Transferring iTunes Library from Old PC to New | iLounge Article

Article

Transferring iTunes Library from Old PC to New

Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.

View the complete Ask iLounge archives...

Q: I have just recently ordered a G4 PowerBook: how do I get my music from iTunes on my PC to my Mac quickly and painlessly?

- Graeme

A: Since the iPod is basically a portable hard disk, it’s easy to copy data from one computer and move it to another one. Apple has an excellent tutorial on doing exactly this.

Kirk McElhearn is the author of several books including iPod & iTunes Garage. His blog, Kirkville features articles about the iPod, iTunes, Mac OS X and much more.

The most asked question at iLounge.com:

How do I copy content from my iPod/iPhone onto my computer?

Converting DVDs, web video, TV shows and more:

The Complete Guide to iPod, Apple TV and iPhone Video Formats

Converting DVDs, web video, TV shows and more:

The Complete Guide to iPod, iPhone and Apple TV Video Conversion (Mac)

Converting DVDs, web video, TV shows and more:

The Complete Guide to iPod, iPhone and Apple TV Video Conversion (Win)

Best Speakers?

Best Headphones?

Best Case?

Best In-Car Solution?

Best Battery Extender?

Find more answers in the latest publications in our Library. Free downloads developed by the editors of iLounge!

Ask iLounge Archives:

1-24-14: Viewing only downloaded iTunes Match tracks

1-22-14: Splitting purchased content between two iPads

12-13-13: Non-Bluetooth Lightning dock speakers

12-11-13: Shared Apple ID and switching away from iPhone

12-6-13: Syncing multiple iCloud data with a family Mac

Read more recent Ask iLounge articles...

View the complete Ask iLounge archives...

« Version Numbers: iTunes versus iPod Software Updater

Popularity of the U2 iPod »

Comments

Is it possible to shuffle a particular album? I’ve got loads of Beatles albums on my iPod Photo, but I can’t seem to get it to shuffle just that artist, it shuffles albums at random when I select shuffle from the main menu. Am I doing something dumn?

Posted by raredevice in England on December 23, 2004 at 3:15 AM (PDT)

I was given the Griffen FM transmitter as a gift.  It works as advertised, but there’s a SIGNIFICANT drop in sound quality.  Any suggestions?

Posted by ShoreBob on December 23, 2004 at 6:15 AM (PDT)

raredevice:

In the settings menu there is the shuffle option, if you set this to “songs” it will shuffle between songs on whatever you play, be it playlist, album, all of the songs from an artist, genre, etc.

Hope this helps.

T

Posted by Schwigs on December 23, 2004 at 7:46 AM (PDT)

Can I use my Windows formatted iPod on a Mac computer?  In the FAQ it says it would be better to leave the iPod formatted as an HFS drive than a FAT32 drive for better reliability.  But how is using the iPod as a FAT32 drive less reliable in Mac OS X?  I primarily use my iPod to sync iTunes on my PowerBook, but would like to use it as a portable hard drive with my PC.

Posted by pcjr on December 23, 2004 at 9:51 AM (PDT)

I have a MacFormatted iPod and I use it to tote files to my office.  I use MacDrive (http://www.mediafour.com) on XP, pcjr.  It’s worth the $50, as MacOpener BSoD’s my office XP machine every time I unplug and then replug my iPod.  Go figure.

Posted by Ipstenu on December 23, 2004 at 12:50 PM (PDT)

I just bought an ipod hp… I’ve installed it on my pc and it works fine…  but, I am trying to play the songs from my ipod on another computer (work) using itunes. The song list on the ipod is locked.  I called tech support and they tell me the only way I can play the songs from my ipod are: (1) use my earbuds; (2) use an RCA connection to a receiver.

I have a friend who has the original ipod and he can play songs straight out of his ipod connecting to his computer without an RCA cable and not copying music files on the pc’s hard drive.

What can I do?  other than copying my mp3 files on my work pc’s hard drive.

Posted by jcl4723 on December 23, 2004 at 12:53 PM (PDT)

I recently purchased a used ipod, 20GB, and with it came the A/C charger plug and the chords for connecting to the computer. I did not receive any disk/software so I’m wondering how to download needed software to hook up to music site. How do I register my ipod and take out old user’s info from ipod? The previous owner had some music on the ipod and I’m wondering if I can pick & choose what I want to save and how to delete some music? Tx, dd

Posted by bogey in USA on December 24, 2004 at 5:50 AM (PDT)

Hi. I have a 4G 20gig iPod and I have a question about ejecting the iPod from iTunes. I used to have my iPod on manual update and Iw as required to maunally eject it from the program each time I uploaded more music. Now, I have it on automatic but for some reason I am still required to eject it manually. How can I get this function to go back to automatic?

Posted by Bahubeshi in Canada on December 24, 2004 at 9:53 AM (PDT)

I have a third generation 20 gig iPod and am wondering where I can buy a dock for it.  Apple dosen’t seem to sell 3G docks anymore, only 4G and photo docks.

Posted by Sorcery5 on December 25, 2004 at 5:58 AM (PDT)

jcl4723: you have to set the ipod to manual update mode (right-click on the ipod, and select options) by changing it from automatic-sync mode.

Bahubeshi: You need to take your ipod off disk mode. This is also in the iPod options screen. It will mean though, that you can’t use it as a hard drive in ‘my computer.’

Posted by bluejacket in London on December 25, 2004 at 6:08 AM (PDT)

I have just purchased an iPod mini, having been told by th eretailer that it will work with Windows Me. Does anyone know how to get it to work with Me?

Posted by chris1957 on December 25, 2004 at 8:05 AM (PDT)

I received a mini ipod for Christmas, I need to know if you can tell me how to turn up the volume?

Posted by n2qrthorse on December 25, 2004 at 8:56 AM (PDT)

Posted by n2qrthorse on December 25, 2004 at 8:56 AM (PDT)

I’ve recently installed iTunes 4.7 and it cant seem to import/rip my CD’s properly when I insert them into my laptop. Is this a bug for iTunes 4.7 and do you guys encourage to just go back to 4.6?

Thanks!

Posted by tonsqrd in United Kingdom on December 25, 2004 at 9:12 AM (PDT)

My husband and I both have 40G iPods… We sync from the same library… His shows this:
Songs: 3608
Available: 33.7 GB

Mine shows this:
Songs: 3688
Available: 22.5 GB

When I hook up his iPod the memory meter on the bottom shows closer to mine (22.5 GB remaining) so what is with his ABOUT page that shows so much memory available and mine that shows more accurately?

Thanks.

Annie

Posted by AnnieKF in Sierra Foothills on December 25, 2004 at 3:42 PM (PDT)

Sorry… I hadn’t done a sync before that last post and the numbers were a bit off… Here is what I meant to say:

His:
Songs: 3709
Available: 33.7 GB

Mine:
Songs: 3709
Available: 22.4 GB

Any thoughts on why this is so?

Annie

Posted by AnnieKF in Sierra Foothills on December 25, 2004 at 3:47 PM (PDT)

Okay, here is my problem. Just got a new iPod, however when i connect it to iTunes , nothing is recjognized, it doesn’t configure at that stage in setup, and windows doesnt detect the hardware as it does with my other USB devices. I have tried other programs , and none of them reckognizee them as well. Im pretty sure the iPod isnt faulty, considering i Just got it from apple, all wrapped, its ligit. If anyone could help then thanks i cant wait to use it. Im running Windows XP Home Edition and a 20 GB iPod and a click wheel. By the way it is that iPod +hp ipod kind of thing if that makes a difference. Thank you

-Nicco

Posted by Nicco in Philadelphia on December 25, 2004 at 4:31 PM (PDT)

I just received an iPod Mini for Christmas. I am currently running Mac OS 9.2, however the software requires OS X. Does anyone know where I could possibly download software for OS 9?

Posted by Shannon_Oakley on December 25, 2004 at 6:44 PM (PDT)

I just ripped some music from a CD using iTunes.  How do I import those files to another folder outside of Itunes so I can put them on another type of mp3 player?

Posted by mummer43 in USA on December 25, 2004 at 10:26 PM (PDT)

I just received an 20 GB IPOD for Christmas. Now, my questions deals with the iTunes software.

1. I downloaded the latest version of iTunes from the Apple site. Therefore, do I still need to install the disc into my computer, or not?

2. In iTunes, exactly how do you transfer songs into a created playlist? I know how to create a playlist, but I have no idea how to transfer the songs into the playlist.

3. All of music (ripped CD’s and MP3’S) is WMA files. Now, I heard you can’t use WMA for the IPOD. If that’s true, what do I do? Do I need to re-rip the CD’s and transfer my MP3’s using the iTunes software?

4. As I said, all of my music is WMA files, and I play it all using the Windows Media Player. Every time I use iTunes, it shows a message asking me to “set iTunes as the default player.” Does this matter? I’d actually prefer to keep the Windows Media Player as the default player. Besides, I still can play the same music using iTunes.

I know, it’s a lot of questions. But I’m new to the world of IPOD. I’d really appreciate some answers. Thanks in advance.

Posted by Cyrax in USA on December 26, 2004 at 3:18 AM (PDT)

Is there any way to get bought CDs with OpenMG Protection from Sony ripped into iTunes? The tracks only play in a computer with their own media player (supplied on the CD).

Posted by Ruffles in Ovar - Portugal on December 26, 2004 at 4:04 AM (PDT)

I just bought my wife the ipod adapter for her bmw. It works great with her mini. However, she also has an old ipod that she would like to use in her bmw, but the connector is wrong. Am I out of luck or is there an adapter I can get? Thanks!

Posted by macquidd in San Jose on December 26, 2004 at 8:44 AM (PDT)

I have owned a third generation iPod for just over a year and have run into a few problems.  A few weeks ago, my iPod began to run into freezing problems.  When I was browsing through my music, it unexpectedly froze for several minutes.  Since that first freezing period, it has happened a few times since then and even more so when I have tried to use my iTalk with it.  Sometimes if the iPod is left over a few minutes while frozen, it will “unfreeze” and I am able to use it normally again.  However, when it will not become unfrozen, I am forced to reset my iPod (hold down menu and play/pause).  Has anyone else run into this sort of problem?  If so, is there any solution? Thanks

Posted by slr123 on December 26, 2004 at 9:07 AM (PDT)

how do transfer because i am having troublewith it?

Posted by grayson in US on December 26, 2004 at 10:53 AM (PDT)

my ipod mini won’t let me transfer music on to it. Please let me know how to transfer? Thanks

Posted by grayson in US on December 26, 2004 at 10:55 AM (PDT)

lol, I dont know if it is me who has the problem or maybe I am not wearing them right, But the earbud headphones just dont fit me. They fall out. I am forced to wear big wrap around headphones I used for my cd player. Anyone…?

Posted by answerplease on December 26, 2004 at 4:47 PM (PDT)

My kids are using two ipods on one computer…currently the computer is telling both ipods they can’t read it because another ipod is logged on….how can we get the computer to unlog ANY ipod?

thanks

Posted by MrF in Oklahoma on December 26, 2004 at 8:13 PM (PDT)

answerplease:
try the apple in-ear headphones. they stay in much better and you still get those iconic (i hope that is a word) white headphones.

Posted by podskater on December 27, 2004 at 9:44 PM (PDT)

Cyrax: In answer to your questions,
1. No you do not need to install the version of iTunes that’s on the CD, but you may have to use the CD to format the iPod, you can also download this software from the apple site.

2. Once you have created a playlist, simply drag the desired song, artist, album or genre from the main iTunes browsing screen over to the left hand ‘source’ side of the screen and onto your playlist.

3. No, you do not need to re rip all the music, iTunes will let you transfer unprotected WMA files into MP3 or AAC, whichever you have chosen as your preffered format (in iTunes, go to edit > preferences > importing)

4. No, this does not matter, but iTunes is waaaaaay better than WMP.

MrF: If you are using Windows XP home, the message you may be getting is not that another iPod is logged in, it is that another user on the computer is logged in. I also use XP Home and it’s very annoying. On the login screen, make sure that no other users are ‘logged on’ or have ‘x programs running’. If this is not the problem, i cant help you smile

Posted by Nuke666 in Melbourne, Austalia on December 28, 2004 at 12:11 AM (PDT)

I just received my mini Ipod for Christmas.  My library of cd’s consists of a lot of home-made burned cd’s.  The quality of these when I listen to them on my mini Ipod is terrible - tons of crackling noises.  Am I supposed to convert these cd’s differently?  Or am I going to have to forego loading these onto my mini Ipod?
Thank you.

Posted by Emily Ann on December 28, 2004 at 6:50 AM (PDT)

I hook up to itunes and it works its magic on my ipod ........ But it moves all my songs from 5 stars to 1 star backwards so now I have to listen to my least favorite first. or I have to minipulate my itunes to fix it and it takes about 10 minutes to get it back…. What am I doing wrong ......

Posted by sunsetlover on December 28, 2004 at 9:37 PM (PDT)

Normally when i plug in my ipod to my computer it automatically puts songs onto my ipod and they arent saved. but this time when i plugged it up i didnt even get the songs and my i pod didnt even say do not disconnect. nothing happend and id like to kno why.

-Shannah

Posted by Sha on December 29, 2004 at 8:35 AM (PDT)

Can anyone help me organize my songs my way? I’d like to have my iPod (and, less importantly, iTunes) list my songs by artist first, then by song title. So, for instance, when I go to “U2,” all their songs are listed in alphabetical order. Right now, apple lists songs by their album order. If anyone knows how to change this, please e-mail me at .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)! (And, of course, please post here, in case anyone else has the same question!)
Thanks!

Posted by newscomedy on January 9, 2005 at 5:05 AM (PDT)

no matter HOW MANY songs you have on your IPOD - (I have 3000) it shuffles es the same songs over and over

Posted by bkny on January 14, 2005 at 6:46 AM (PDT)