Transferring iTunes to another user account
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: On my Windows XP PC I have an admin account set up for me and an non-admin account set up for my son. The iTunes library on my administrative account is the one my son has been using and it contains his songs. I want to transfer his songs in my admin account to his non-admin account essentially deleting all the songs in my administrative account. Our music taste is not the same and I’d like to have songs on the admin account that are mine. Can anyone help me with this?
A: This is actually fairly easy to do provided that you have allowed iTunes to organize all of your music tracks automatically for you. If all of the music is located in the “iTunes Music” or “iTunes Media” folder under the main “iTunes” folder found in “My Music” then you can simply move the entire “iTunes” folder from your “My Music” folder in your Administrative account over to your son’s “My Music” folder in his non-administrative account. Since your son’s account is not an administrator account, you will also need to ensure that you change ownership and permissions of the iTunes folders and the files contained therein so that he can access them.
If you have been importing music and leaving it in its original locations, this process may be a bit trickier depending on where the files are located and whether or not your son’s non-admin account will have access to them. You can simplify this by using the “Consolidate Files” option in iTunes, described in our article on Transferring your iTunes Library in order to copy all of the media files into your iTunes folders, or if you’re certain that the music files are stored in locations that your son’s non-admin account can access you can simply leave them in place, since you’re basically moving the database files on the same PC, so the paths to those files will remain exactly the same regardless of which account you’re actually logged in to.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple releases iOS 10.3.2 beta to developers
- Rumor: Apple may add cellular capability to next Apple Watch, create USB-C/Lightning hybrid
- Urbanears launches new lineup of Wi-Fi Connected Speakers
- Apple adds ability for developers respond to apps reviews, tweaks in-app rating prompt rules
- Report: 10.5” iPad Pro could still arrive this spring
- Apple’s Pages, Numbers, and Keynote apps gain Touch ID support, other improvements
- Apple releases tvOS 10.2 and Apple TV Remote for iPad
- Apple releases watchOS 3.2, featuring Theater Mode, SiriKit
- Apple releases iOS 10.3 with Find My AirPods, Siri + CarPlay improvements
- Wells Fargo rolling out ability to use Apple Pay for transactions at some ATMs later this year
- AudioQuest NightOwl Carbon Headphones
- ExoLens PRO with Optics by ZEISS Wide-Angle Lens Kit
- Blue Sadie Headphones
- Circle with Disney Parental Control and Internet Filtering System
- Pioneer Rayz Plus Lightning Connector Earphones
- BEEM United BeMe D200 Lightning Connector Earphones
- Jam Audio JAM Xterior Max Rugged Wireless Bluetooth Speaker
- HiFiMAN Edition S Headphones
- Divoom Timebox Mini Bluetooth Speaker
- iClever BoostSound BTS-09 Bluetooth Speaker
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10