Transferring iTunes to another user account
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: On my Windows XP PC I have an admin account set up for me and an non-admin account set up for my son. The iTunes library on my administrative account is the one my son has been using and it contains his songs. I want to transfer his songs in my admin account to his non-admin account essentially deleting all the songs in my administrative account. Our music taste is not the same and I’d like to have songs on the admin account that are mine. Can anyone help me with this?
A: This is actually fairly easy to do provided that you have allowed iTunes to organize all of your music tracks automatically for you. If all of the music is located in the “iTunes Music” or “iTunes Media” folder under the main “iTunes” folder found in “My Music” then you can simply move the entire “iTunes” folder from your “My Music” folder in your Administrative account over to your son’s “My Music” folder in his non-administrative account. Since your son’s account is not an administrator account, you will also need to ensure that you change ownership and permissions of the iTunes folders and the files contained therein so that he can access them.
If you have been importing music and leaving it in its original locations, this process may be a bit trickier depending on where the files are located and whether or not your son’s non-admin account will have access to them. You can simplify this by using the “Consolidate Files” option in iTunes, described in our article on Transferring your iTunes Library in order to copy all of the media files into your iTunes folders, or if you’re certain that the music files are stored in locations that your son’s non-admin account can access you can simply leave them in place, since you’re basically moving the database files on the same PC, so the paths to those files will remain exactly the same regardless of which account you’re actually logged in to.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Screen protector installation now available at Apple Stores
- Russia mulling tax increase on App Store purchases, other Apple services
- Lawyers threaten to sue Apple over ‘Error 53’ codes disabling iPhones
- Apple releases iOS 9.3 beta 3, tvOS 9.2 beta 3, watchOS 2.2 beta 3 to developers
- Indie game ‘The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth’ rejected by Apple over violence toward children
- Apple likely to receive approval to open retail stores in India
- Study finds Apple Watch is best fitness tracker for privacy, security
- Conflicting reports over pink color to be featured in iPhone 5se
- Report: Some third-party repairs ‘bricking’ iPhones with iOS 9
- Report: Apple to bid on NFL Thursday Night Football streaming rights
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Urban Armor Gear Trooper for iPhone 6/6s
- NEBO CaseBrite for iPhone 6 Plus/6s Plus
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!