Transferring LPs to iTunes
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I have about 50 LP bluegrass albums that are not available in any other format. I would like to download them onto my iMac or an external hard drive or CD-R. Is this possible?
A: There are a couple of ways that you can approach this problem, with the most basic method being to attach an existing turntable that you already own into the audio inputs of your Mac and simply record the audio stream. Due to the nature of turntable output, you’re probably best advised to connect through a stereo receiver/mixer of some kind that has proper “Phono” inputs on it, but otherwise you’re simply connecting the output from the turntable into your Mac and recording it manually.
There are a number of software packages available that can be used to record an audio stream into your Mac. If you already own a version of the iLife suite, the included GarageBand tool is probably the obvious choice since you would already have it installed on your iMac. Other suggested options include Sound Recorder (http://www.monkeybreadsoftware.de/Freeware/SoundRecorder.shtml, donationware) and Audio Hijack Pro (http://rogueamoeba.com, $32, trial available).
A more elegant approach can be found in the Numark TTi turntable (http://www.numark.com/tti), which includes an iPod dock and USB connection for recording your LPs directly to either your iPod or iTunes itself. At a suggested retail price of $450, however, it’s not necessarily the most inexpensive solution, particularly if you already own a turntable of your own.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple releases fourth developer betas for iOS 9.3.2, tvOS 9.2.1
- Bowers & Wilkins acquired by EVA Automation
- India rejects Apple’s plan to sell used iPhones
- Rumor: Purported iPhone 7 component photo shows headphone jack intact
- Families fight in court over missing teen’s iPhone data
- Court allows police to force woman to unlock iPhone with Touch ID fingerprint
- Coach reportedly releasing bands for Apple Watch
- Invoxia adds Amazon Alexa to Triby
- Apple provides more details on new Apple Music API
- Apple Music for Android adds music videos, Family Plan support
- August Doorbell Cam
- August Smart Lock HomeKit enabled + Smart Keypad
- ecobee3 HomeKit-enabled smart Wi-Fi thermostat
- Zagg Now Cam
- Yantouch EyE Portable Wireless Speaker
- Netatmo Wind Gauge
- Incipio Stashback for iPhone 6/6s
- Schlage Sense Smart Deadbolt with HomeKit support
- ClamCase ClamCase Pro for iPad mini 4
- Brydge BrydgeMini II Keyboard for iPad mini 4
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 9.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.3
- Opinion: Why Apple needs a dedicated HomeKit app
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)