Transferring LPs to iTunes
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I have about 50 LP bluegrass albums that are not available in any other format. I would like to download them onto my iMac or an external hard drive or CD-R. Is this possible?
A: There are a couple of ways that you can approach this problem, with the most basic method being to attach an existing turntable that you already own into the audio inputs of your Mac and simply record the audio stream. Due to the nature of turntable output, you’re probably best advised to connect through a stereo receiver/mixer of some kind that has proper “Phono” inputs on it, but otherwise you’re simply connecting the output from the turntable into your Mac and recording it manually.
There are a number of software packages available that can be used to record an audio stream into your Mac. If you already own a version of the iLife suite, the included GarageBand tool is probably the obvious choice since you would already have it installed on your iMac. Other suggested options include Sound Recorder (http://www.monkeybreadsoftware.de/Freeware/SoundRecorder.shtml, donationware) and Audio Hijack Pro (http://rogueamoeba.com, $32, trial available).
A more elegant approach can be found in the Numark TTi turntable (http://www.numark.com/tti), which includes an iPod dock and USB connection for recording your LPs directly to either your iPod or iTunes itself. At a suggested retail price of $450, however, it’s not necessarily the most inexpensive solution, particularly if you already own a turntable of your own.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple files lawsuit accusing Qualcomm of withholding patent royalties
- Apple releases updated iOS Developer Design Resources
- Apple’s exclusive audiobook deal with Audible ends in Europe following EU antitrust scrutiny
- Nintendo officially announces Fire Emblem Heroes for iOS, coming Feb. 2
- Rumor: Apple working on second-generation Apple Pencil
- GarageBand 2.2 adds Logic Pro X integration, Alchemy synth, Multi-Take Recording
- FTC files complaint against Qualcomm citing royalty deal with Apple
- India mulling manufacturing regulation changes which could woo Apple
- Apple Music creative team discusses the service’s exclusives, future
- Apple raising UK App Store prices by more than 25 percent
- Revogi Smart Lightbulb, Smart Lightstrip, Smart Candle + Smart Meter Plug
- Audeze iSine10 In-Ear Headphones
- MOCACARE MOCACuff Connected Blood Pressure Monitor
- Apple AirPods
- Elgato Eve Motion
- Olloclip Core Lens Set for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Logitech Pop Home Switch Starter Pack
- Elgato Eve Light Switch
- iHome iPLWBT5 Docking Clock Radio for iPhone and Apple Watch
- Brydge 12.9 iPad Pro Keyboard
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10