Transferring or syncing an iTunes library between two computers
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: We have four different accounts and log-ins on our home desktop. My wife recently bought a laptop and wants to sync her iTunes library and account with her laptop. How can I do this?
A: There are a couple of ways to go about this depending upon whether your wife wants to maintain her library both on her home computer and laptop or transfer it to her laptop to only use it on there.
To simply transfer the library to the laptop, check out our iPod 201 tutorial on Transferring your iTunes Library, which provides detailed instructions on how to copy off your iTunes library and which files you should be looking for.
On the other hand, if she would rather keep her primary iTunes library on the shared home computer and have a copy on the laptop to travel with, you should check out a utility called TuneRanger (http://www.acertant.com, $30, trial available), which is designed to keep the content in sync between two or more iTunes libraries somewhat automatically across a network connection.
Note that TuneRanger does not create an exact copy of your library database, but rather syncs your content between two (or more) distinct library databases. This is an important distinction when it comes to syncing an iPod, since an iPod in automatic sync mode will still only be able to have content synced onto it from one iTunes library—in this case either the laptop or the desktop. If you want to load content onto the iPod from both places, you will need to set it to manual mode. If you want to maintain the ease of automatic synchronization, your wife will need to choose a single iTunes library as her “primary” library with which she synchronizes her iPod.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Judge dismisses key claims of Monster’s case against Beats over Apple deal
- Apple adds 2TB iCloud storage option
- Spec sheet shows Lightning EarPods, Lightning headphone adapter packed in with 256GB iPhone 7 Plus
- Papa John’s releases pizza-ordering app for Apple TV
- Apple call Australian banks’ request a ‘detriment to consumers’
- EU determines Apple should pay 13 billion euros in back taxes to Ireland; Apple plans appeal
- SIM tray photos hint at alleged ‘gloss black’ iPhone color
- Trademark filings hint at wireless EarPods, two new Apple Watch models
- Report: EU to rule against Apple-Ireland tax deals, recommend Apple pay 1B+ Euros
- Apple sued over unresponsive iPhone 6/6 Plus touchscreen issues
- Nuvyyo Tablo Over-the-Air Television DVR
- Belkin PowerHouse Charge Dock for Apple Watch and iPhone
- Western Digital My Cloud (OS 3)
- Distil Union Stanley Stand
- Philips Sonicare FlexCare Platinum Connected Bluetooth Toothbrush
- Audeze EL-8 Titanium Over-Ear Headphones
- Defined Corp Dome Stand for Apple Watch and iPhone
- Speck StyleFolio Pencil for 9.7” iPad Pro
- Audeze Sine On-Ear Headphone
- First Alert Onelink Wi-Fi Smoke + Carbon Monoxide Alarm
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 9.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.3
- Opinion: Why Apple needs a dedicated HomeKit app