Transferring rented movies to and from the iPod
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I rented a movie from the new iTunes movie service, but I can’t seem to find where to copy it to my iPod. I see all my own movies in the listing on the iPod sync settings, but I can’t see my rented movie on that list. I even tried setting it to sync all my movies, but the rented movie still doesn’t show up on the iPod.
A: If you are not seeing the options in iTunes to manage your rented movies on your iPod, chances are that you have not yet applied the latest firmware update, or you are not using a compatible iPod model.
iTunes Movie Rentals are only compatible with the 2007 iPod models—the iPod classic, iPod nano, iPod touch and iPhone, using the latest firmware versions. These firmware versions are v1.1 for the iPod classic and nano, and v1.1.3 for the iPod touch and iPhone.
If you are using one of these iPod models and still not seeing the options to transfer rented movies, ensure that you have downloaded and applied the latest firmware update by selecting your iPod in the iTunes source list and choosing “Check for Updates” from the “Summary” tab.
Note that the fifth-generation iPod does not support iTunes movie rentals at this time, although it would certainly be possible for Apple to add this functionality via a firmware update for these older iPod models.
See our Secrets & Features of iTunes 7.6 article for more information on how the new movie rentals feature works in iTunes and on the iPod.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple to sell limited-edition Olympic Apple Watch bands exclusively in Brazil
- Report: iPhone 7 will include Lightning adapter instead of Lightning EarPods
- Edward Snowden designing device to prevent iPhone wiretapping
- Report: Apple Car team running into challenges, launch may slip to 2021
- Corning announces Gorilla Glass 5
- Apple under fire for providing refurbished replacements under AppleCare+
- Report: Apple acquires cloud music provider Omnifone? [Update: No]
- Apple releases second iOS 10 public beta
- India clears the way for Apple to open retail stores
- Apple Pay launches in Hong Kong
- Netatmo Tags for Welcome Smart Home Camera
- iDevices Socket HomeKit-enabled Light Adapter
- Koogeek Wi-Fi SmartPlug for Apple HomeKit
- Marbotic Smart Letters for iPad
- Ecoxgear Sol Jam Bluetooth Speaker
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case + Hand Strap for 9.7” iPad Pro
- Braven BRV-1M Bluetooth Speaker
- Braven BRV-Blade Bluetooth Speaker
- Invoxia Voice Bridge
- Incase Keyboard Case for iPad Air 2
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 9.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.3
- Opinion: Why Apple needs a dedicated HomeKit app