Transferring tracks to iPod in manual mode
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I am unable to rip tracks from my iTunes library to my iPod. I can copy and drag tracks from the library to my iPod under devices, but nothing happens when I do this—I do not get a plus sign when I hover over my iPod and no copying takes place. This is driving me crazy. Please can you help me?
A: The first thing to do is to ensure that your iPod actually is set for manual management from iTunes. You cannot drag and drop content to an iPod that is set to use automatic synchronization.
To check this, connect your iPod to your computer and then select it from the iTunes Devices listing at the left-hand side of your iTunes window. On the main “Summary” screen which appears, ensure that the box for “Manually manage music and videos” is checked:
If you are in fact in manual mode (the box is checked) and you still cannot drag-and-drop tracks onto your iPod, ensure that the files themselves are actually accessible. The simplest way to do this is to attempt to play the track in question. If you have tracks stored on an external hard drive or a network location that iTunes cannot currently access, you naturally will not be able to transfer these tracks onto your iPod.
If you are using an older version of iTunes 7, you may also need to expand the iPod content in your Devices listing by clicking the small triangle which appears to the left to display the categories and playlists on your iPod. Once you’ve done this, try dragging and dropping your items directly onto the “Music” section. Note, however, that this issue was fixed in later versions of iTunes, and is not a problem in iTunes 8, so if you are using an older version this may be a good reason to upgrade to something more current.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple releases fourth betas of iOS 10.3 + watchOS 3.2 to developers
- Third-party screen repairs no longer void iPhone warranty
- iDevices adds dynamic automation, enhanced scheduling to ‘Connected’ app for HomeKit
- Apple reports that iOS 10.2.1 significantly reduces unexpected iPhone 6s shutdown issues
- Mobiata announces sunset of FlightTrack 5 and FlightBoard apps
- Harman announces first Wireless CarPlay implementation
- Report: Apple still considering several possible wireless charging solutions for ‘iPhone 8’
- Mini Metro adds Endless Mode
- Apple issues statement opposing Trump administration’s rescission of transgender rights
- ResearchKit study conducted using Apple Watch reveals new insights into seizures
- PureGear PureSwitch HomeKit-enabled Wireless Smart Plug
- 1More Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones
- Revogi Smart Lightbulb, Smart Lightstrip, Smart Candle + Smart Meter Plug
- Audeze iSine10 In-Ear Headphones
- MOCACARE MOCACuff Connected Blood Pressure Monitor
- Apple AirPods
- Elgato Eve Motion
- Olloclip Core Lens Set for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Logitech Pop Home Switch Starter Pack
- Elgato Eve Light Switch
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10