Transferring videos to iPod
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I just got a new iPod classic and I’m trying to upload content onto it. It’s working but when I try to upload a movie, I check “Sync Movies” and then a box appears that says: Are you sure you want to sync movies? All existing Songs, Movies and TV shows on the iPod will be removed and replaced with movies from your iTunes libary. How do I upload movies without having to remove all existing songs and movies?
A: The most likely cause of this is that you have been transferring music to your iPod manually, so it is not already in any kind of automatic synchronization mode. This warning is advising you that to transfer movies on using automatic synchronization, you must set iTunes to synchronize all content to your iPod automatically.
Essentially, confirming that you want to do this will set iTunes to automatically synchronize your music and video content to your iPod. This will replace everything that is presently on your iPod with content from your iTunes library. Of course, if the content in your iPod is still in your iTunes library, then switching to automatic synchronization is really not an issue, as iTunes will simply go through the library and retransfer the same content back again (in reality, it will probably recognize most of the content and simply match it up, rather than retransferring it).
If, on the other hand, you’ve been using manual mode to transfer music to your iPod and remove it from your iTunes library, or you have another reason for wanting to use manual mode, then you will need to transfer your video content in the same way—by dragging and dropping it onto your iPod. In this case, leave the “Sync Movies” checkbox OFF in iTunes, and just take items from within your “Movies” folder in iTunes and drag them onto your iPod in the same way that you transfer your music.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- iPad Air 3, iPhone 5se expected to be available March 18
- Apple filming original ‘dark drama’ television series featuring Dr. Dre
- Apple under fire for patent infringement from haptic feedback company Immersion
- CBS CEO Moonves notes Apple talks have stopped
- Apple will source iPhone 7 ‘A10’ CPU solely from TSMC
- Federal bill aims to take regulatory power for phone encryption out of state hands
- Job post shows Apple emphasizing new complications, faces for Apple Watch
- New comments hint at forthcoming streaming TV service from Apple
- Apple Music available on Sonos starting today
- Screen protector installation now available at Apple Stores
- VRS Design Crystal Bumper, High Pro Shield + Verge Active for iPhone 6/6s
- Vicks SmartTemp Wireless Smartphone Thermometer
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!