Tread: the Ultimate Urban iPod Case?
Back at January’s Macworld Expo, we picked two companies’ new iPod cases as our favorite new designs of the new year. The first of them - Miyavix’s Kimono cases for the iPod and iPod mini - has already been released and reviewed. Today, the second has arrived: Better Energy Systems’ Tread, a case that we think may be the ultimate urban case design, and unquestionably one of the most innovative rubber designs we’ve seen.
From what we were told by Better Energy Systems - the same company that developed the Solio solar iPod charger - Tread was created as an environmentally friendly iPod holder, each one made from recycled tire parts plucked by the company from South America. Rather than let the tires be burned or otherwise turned into landfill, BES has employed people to fashion them into cases for both the iPod and the Solio charger.
The inside of each case is soft fabric designed not to scratch your iPod, plus a clear vinyl iPod protector that lets you use its screen and controls while sheathed. A hard metal belt clip and colorful fabric loop are attached to Tread’s rear; stitching on the case’s body matches the colors of the loop. Black Velcro holds the top flap closed on the case’s back.
Back in January, BES said that each case would be individualized in some way: the rubber pattern, fabric loop and stitching look to be the major differences. And the review cases we’ve received are cut for different thicknesses of iPod, too. All three are attractive, and equally well-made.
We’ll have a full review of Tread shortly, but wanted you to get a good early look at this cool new offering - proof positive that rubber iPod cases can evolve and don’t only come from factories in China. And they can be environmentally friendly, too.
Editor’s note: We’ve added a couple of pictures and replaced our initial shots with these new ones to better reflect the colors and textures of the Tread cases.
- Apple Computer iTV / Apple TV First Look
- First Looks: PocketParty V2, Aural Earbuds, Cases for Apple Remote, nano, 5G
- First Looks: Kensington Dock 500/Radio Duo, Icuiti DV920, Belkin TuneBase FM & More
- First Looks Special: Motorola SLVR L7 iTunes Phone (photos inside)
- First Looks: Altec iM3c, SmartShare, OtterBox 5G, Commuter & Mork Mount
- First Looks: Applesauce, Blinkit, EyeTV 2, iM11, iRhythms & More
- Apple acquires Metaio, an augmented reality company
- Apple stuck with court-appointed antitrust monitor
- Apple to unveil rewards system for Apple Pay
- GM bringing CarPlay to 14 of its 2016 Chevy models
- Upcoming kit will allow developers to build native Apple Watch apps
- Apple may debut new ‘Proactive’ assistant with iOS 9
- Google Search will soon surface content from iOS apps
- iOS bug allows peculiar string of characters in Messages to reboot iPhones
- iOS 9 Transit feature to launch in select cities
- Report: iOS 9 to feature Force Touch support, updated keyboard
- Spigen Apple Watch Stand S330
- Griffin WatchStand for Apple Watch
- Apple iPhone Lightning Dock
- Witti Notti and Dotti
- PhoneSuit Elite 6 and Elite 6 Pro Battery Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Wren V5US Speaker
- Skech Base for iPad Air 2
- Anova Culinary Precision Cooker
- Phiaton MS 100 BA Earphones
- Olloclip Ollocase for iPhone 6
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Is there a point to having both iCloud Photo Library and iCloud Photo Stream enabled?
- Why can’t I set a longer passcode timeout on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Can I turn off Message Read Receipts for only some users?
- How do I share one iCloud Photo Library within a family?