Tread: the Ultimate Urban iPod Case?
Back at January’s Macworld Expo, we picked two companies’ new iPod cases as our favorite new designs of the new year. The first of them - Miyavix’s Kimono cases for the iPod and iPod mini - has already been released and reviewed. Today, the second has arrived: Better Energy Systems’ Tread, a case that we think may be the ultimate urban case design, and unquestionably one of the most innovative rubber designs we’ve seen.
From what we were told by Better Energy Systems - the same company that developed the Solio solar iPod charger - Tread was created as an environmentally friendly iPod holder, each one made from recycled tire parts plucked by the company from South America. Rather than let the tires be burned or otherwise turned into landfill, BES has employed people to fashion them into cases for both the iPod and the Solio charger.
The inside of each case is soft fabric designed not to scratch your iPod, plus a clear vinyl iPod protector that lets you use its screen and controls while sheathed. A hard metal belt clip and colorful fabric loop are attached to Tread’s rear; stitching on the case’s body matches the colors of the loop. Black Velcro holds the top flap closed on the case’s back.
Back in January, BES said that each case would be individualized in some way: the rubber pattern, fabric loop and stitching look to be the major differences. And the review cases we’ve received are cut for different thicknesses of iPod, too. All three are attractive, and equally well-made.
We’ll have a full review of Tread shortly, but wanted you to get a good early look at this cool new offering - proof positive that rubber iPod cases can evolve and don’t only come from factories in China. And they can be environmentally friendly, too.
Editor’s note: We’ve added a couple of pictures and replaced our initial shots with these new ones to better reflect the colors and textures of the Tread cases.
- Apple Computer iTV / Apple TV First Look
- First Looks: PocketParty V2, Aural Earbuds, Cases for Apple Remote, nano, 5G
- First Looks: Kensington Dock 500/Radio Duo, Icuiti DV920, Belkin TuneBase FM & More
- First Looks Special: Motorola SLVR L7 iTunes Phone (photos inside)
- First Looks: Altec iM3c, SmartShare, OtterBox 5G, Commuter & Mork Mount
- First Looks: Applesauce, Blinkit, EyeTV 2, iM11, iRhythms & More
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Siri coming to Apple TV?
- Google covering some Samsung defense costs in Apple case
- Changes introduced to Apple’s app content rating system
- iOS 7.1.1 makes in-app purchases clear in Top Grossing chart
- Apple releases iOS 7.1.1
- Apps: 1Password 4.5, The Amazing Spider-Man 2, Health Mate 2.0 + WeMo 1.5.1
- Apple Reuse & Recycling program expands to iPad
- Apple offering free recycling of used products in stores
- Report: 5.5” ‘iPhone Air’ may not be seen until 2015
- Apple interviewing candidates for mobile payment service
- Divoom Voombox Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Pelican ProGear Voyager for iPhone 5/5s
- ZeroChroma Vario-Edge for iPhone 5/5c/5s + Vortex for iPhone 5c
- JBL Synchros S300i Stereo Headphones
- AKG K845BT Over-Ear Bluetooth Headset
- JBL Voyager Home Audio System With Portable Wireless Speaker
- Harman Kardon Esquire Executive Portable Wireless Speaker
- Booq Booqpad for iPad Air
- Rokform Fuzion+ for iPhone 5/5s
- Incipio Tek-nical for iPad Air
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad, 2001 to 2010
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad: 2011 to Today
- Viewing only downloaded iTunes Match tracks
- Splitting purchased content between two iPads
- iLounge’s 2014 CES Best of Show Awards: iPad, iPhone, iPod + Mac
- Preview: 7 Big Apple Trends To Expect At The 2014 CES
- Non-Bluetooth Lightning dock speakers
- Shared Apple ID and switching away from iPhone
- Syncing multiple iCloud data with a family Mac