Tread: the Ultimate Urban iPod Case?
Back at January’s Macworld Expo, we picked two companies’ new iPod cases as our favorite new designs of the new year. The first of them - Miyavix’s Kimono cases for the iPod and iPod mini - has already been released and reviewed. Today, the second has arrived: Better Energy Systems’ Tread, a case that we think may be the ultimate urban case design, and unquestionably one of the most innovative rubber designs we’ve seen.
From what we were told by Better Energy Systems - the same company that developed the Solio solar iPod charger - Tread was created as an environmentally friendly iPod holder, each one made from recycled tire parts plucked by the company from South America. Rather than let the tires be burned or otherwise turned into landfill, BES has employed people to fashion them into cases for both the iPod and the Solio charger.
The inside of each case is soft fabric designed not to scratch your iPod, plus a clear vinyl iPod protector that lets you use its screen and controls while sheathed. A hard metal belt clip and colorful fabric loop are attached to Tread’s rear; stitching on the case’s body matches the colors of the loop. Black Velcro holds the top flap closed on the case’s back.
Back in January, BES said that each case would be individualized in some way: the rubber pattern, fabric loop and stitching look to be the major differences. And the review cases we’ve received are cut for different thicknesses of iPod, too. All three are attractive, and equally well-made.
We’ll have a full review of Tread shortly, but wanted you to get a good early look at this cool new offering - proof positive that rubber iPod cases can evolve and don’t only come from factories in China. And they can be environmentally friendly, too.
Editor’s note: We’ve added a couple of pictures and replaced our initial shots with these new ones to better reflect the colors and textures of the Tread cases.
- Apple Computer iTV / Apple TV First Look
- First Looks: PocketParty V2, Aural Earbuds, Cases for Apple Remote, nano, 5G
- First Looks: Kensington Dock 500/Radio Duo, Icuiti DV920, Belkin TuneBase FM & More
- First Looks Special: Motorola SLVR L7 iTunes Phone (photos inside)
- First Looks: Altec iM3c, SmartShare, OtterBox 5G, Commuter & Mork Mount
- First Looks: Applesauce, Blinkit, EyeTV 2, iM11, iRhythms & More
- Analyst claims wireless charging will be included in ‘iPhone 8,’ but rules out Energous as provider
- Apple claims EU made ‘fundamental errors’ in calculating $14B Irish tax ruling
- Analyst: ‘iPhone 8’ to feature ‘revolutionary’ front-facing camera with 3D sensors
- Apple releases third betas for iOS 10.3, tvOS 10.2, and watchOS 3.2 to developers
- Happy Presidents’ Day from iLounge
- Apple plans to begin iPhone manufacturing in India starting with the iPhone SE
- Rumor: iPhone 8 to eliminate Touch ID in favor of Facial Recognition
- Report: Apple working on 4K for next-generation Apple TV
- Apple announces WWDC 2017
- Apple patent points to possible new Smart Keyboard with dedicated ‘Share’ and ‘Emoji’ keys
- 1More Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones
- Revogi Smart Lightbulb, Smart Lightstrip, Smart Candle + Smart Meter Plug
- Audeze iSine10 In-Ear Headphones
- MOCACARE MOCACuff Connected Blood Pressure Monitor
- Apple AirPods
- Elgato Eve Motion
- Olloclip Core Lens Set for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Logitech Pop Home Switch Starter Pack
- Elgato Eve Light Switch
- iHome iPLWBT5 Docking Clock Radio for iPhone and Apple Watch
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10