Trying to Sync iPod from AirPort Express | iLounge Article

Article

Trying to Sync iPod from AirPort Express

Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.

View the complete Ask iLounge archives...

Q: Before purchasing my AirPort Express, I figured that once I had it set up, I would be able to not only stream music from iTunes on my notebook to my stereo, but would also be able to plug my iPod into the USB port and sync it with with my notebook wirelessly. Is this possible or was I a little too hopeful?

- Mogi

A: Yes, you were a bit too hopeful. The USB port on the AirPort Express is designed for you to connect a printer and print from any computer on your network. You can, however, use it for one thing with your iPod: you can charge your iPod by plugging its USB cable into that port. But you cannot sync your music from iTunes via the AirPort Express.

Kirk McElhearn is the author of several books including iPod & iTunes Garage. His blog, Kirkville features articles about the iPod, iTunes, Mac OS X and much more.

The most asked question at iLounge.com:

How do I copy content from my iPod/iPhone onto my computer?

Converting DVDs, web video, TV shows and more:

The Complete Guide to iPod, Apple TV and iPhone Video Formats

Converting DVDs, web video, TV shows and more:

The Complete Guide to iPod, iPhone and Apple TV Video Conversion (Mac)

Converting DVDs, web video, TV shows and more:

The Complete Guide to iPod, iPhone and Apple TV Video Conversion (Win)

Best Speakers?

Best Headphones?

Best Case?

Best In-Car Solution?

Best Battery Extender?

Find more answers in the latest publications in our Library. Free downloads developed by the editors of iLounge!

Ask iLounge Archives:

1-24-14: Viewing only downloaded iTunes Match tracks

1-22-14: Splitting purchased content between two iPads

12-13-13: Non-Bluetooth Lightning dock speakers

12-11-13: Shared Apple ID and switching away from iPhone

12-6-13: Syncing multiple iCloud data with a family Mac

Read more recent Ask iLounge articles...

View the complete Ask iLounge archives...

« Problems Copying Data to iPod shuffle

iTunes CD error message »

Comments

What would prevent me from transfering a song to my Ipod ? I get a unknown error message when i try to load a certain song to my Ipod. I have Windows XP.

Posted by taydadd on May 5, 2005 at 8:14 PM (PDT)

Is there a preferred setting for converting CD’s to MP3 format for Ipod input that most users would recommend for obtaining an optimum balance between sound quality and hard drive requirements? Im trying to figure out which Ipod I will need to purchase for transferring classical CD’s for an extended trip.

Posted by hjfischer on May 6, 2005 at 6:46 PM (PDT)

are there any speaker systems that will work with both the ipod mini and the shuffle?

Posted by gtuorto on May 8, 2005 at 6:04 PM (PDT)

Why does my iPod 40G spontaneously “pause” itself?  Even when it’s locked?  I’ve got about 36G of music on it….

Posted by ericblendermann on May 9, 2005 at 10:59 AM (PDT)

how do I “unprotect” musicmatch .wma files to the .aac file for Ipods’ library. I tried dragging musicmatch files into my library but it told me that the format needed to be converted but when it tried it could not be done because the format was protected. How can I get around this?

Posted by GJS in Pa on May 9, 2005 at 6:31 PM (PDT)

what model# of the ipod photo 60G is the latest version? it seems like there are different model#‘s of this ipod for sale on ebay. what should i look for?
thanks

Posted by ndes1 on May 9, 2005 at 8:12 PM (PDT)

Can anyone give me the pinouts to the USB connector for the mini iPod? Also for the firewire? Any info much appreciated

Posted by acud on May 9, 2005 at 11:31 PM (PDT)

hi there! iv’e recently noticed a problem with my 2nd generation ipod. basically it freezes when it is cradled in the dock connector and playing through a stereo. i,ve had it for just over a year and not noticed the problem b4.

any advice?

Posted by mogo64 on May 10, 2005 at 5:51 AM (PDT)

I have a 15G iPod about 1 1/2 years old.  Recently it either freezes in the middle of the song and skips several songs or freezes completely. SInce this began it also seems that my battery life has shortened considerably. I travel alot and my iPod is a valuable part of my life. Help!

Posted by dond72 on May 10, 2005 at 6:20 AM (PDT)

I have an IPOD that I was given two years ago and I have a Macintosh that I have had for the past six years. I am in the process of purchasing a Dell PC and was wondering, do you know if I will be able to use my IPOD on my PC?

Posted by cobst on May 11, 2005 at 10:13 AM (PDT)

I got a big problem, i have about 1330 songs on my ipod and when i went to upload a few song adn in itunes it said that there was not enough memory or somthing in my library so it asked me if i wanted to make a user selection so i wasnt sure what it meant so i said yes and now i only have one playlist with all my songs and none of my other, and i still have 57. mb’s left. so afterward i tried doin it agian and now it says that it can not be uploaded because they playlists no longer exists when they are still on my itunes…please help

Posted by Fin27 on May 24, 2005 at 6:03 PM (PDT)

all My iPod songs (1278songs) got deleted when it said that it was out of batt. when i opened it later there weren’t any songs but the about menu shows the capacity as 18.5 gigabytes while the availabiliity is 13.5

Posted by Jacqueth on May 27, 2005 at 11:23 AM (PDT)

please help

Posted by Jacqueth on May 27, 2005 at 11:24 AM (PDT)

I JUST BOUGHT A SECOND HAND GOLD MINI IPOD AND MY FRIEND HAS A GOLD ONE TOO BUT HIS LOOKS KIND OF ORANGE-Y IS IT POSSIBLE THAT APPLE MADE 2 DIFFERENT SHADES OF GOLD MINI’S?IM JUST CURIOUS..THANKS…

Posted by minnie on June 2, 2005 at 2:27 PM (PDT)