TV Docks for new iPod models
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: The Home Dock Deluxe is not compatible with my new iPod classic. Are there any other docking devices that could display my music and movie library directly from my iPod classic to my TV?
A: Unfortunately, not at this time. The new iPod classic and iPod nano models now require a special Apple authentication chip in any connected accessories in order to enable the video output feature on the device itself. At this time, there are no third-party video accessories that have this necessary authentication chip support.
This new requirement means that manufacturers are going to need to redevelop their products to use the Apple authentication chips. It will therefore take third-party accessory manufacturers time to adapt to this new technology. We will hopefully see some compatible third-party accessories appearing very late this year and early in 2008.
Until such time as this happens, there are not any compatible iPod docks with on-TV menu support. Basic video playback can be enabled via the Apple Universal Dock, or by using an older video playback Dock Connector accessory and one of the workaround methods discussed in last week’s Ask iLounge column.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple announces ‘Game of Thrones: Enhanced Edition’ interactive iBooks
- Apple announces App Store Search Ads
- Apple announces iOS business development partnership with Deloitte
- Apple logs iMessage contact info, could be compelled to offer info to police
- Apple reportedly calls in hackers for meeting on bug bounty program
- Apple creating new London headquarters
- Honeywell debuts Lyric T5 HomeKit-enabled smart thermostat
- Executives talk Apple Music successes and failures
- Apple Q4 earnings call set for October 27
- Sonos speakers available on Apple’s online store today, in Apple Stores next month
- 808 Audio XS Sport Rugged Wireless Speaker
- Mass Fidelity Core Bluetooth Speaker
- Thought Out Simplex Tablet iPad Stand
- SmartX Galaxy ZEGA Starter Kit
- Apple iPhone 7 Plus Leather Case
- Apple Watch Series 2
- iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus
- Twelve South HiRise 2 for iPhone + iPad
- Nomad Pod Pro for iPhone and Apple Watch
- Sevenhugs hugOne Sleep Monitoring System
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps