TV output and the new iPods | iLounge Article

Article

TV output and the new iPods

Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.

View the complete Ask iLounge archives...

Q: Do the new iPod models support output to a TV? Will my existing AV output cables work, or do I need to buy new ones?

- Jon

A: Unfortunately, no. The new iPod models only seem to provide TV output through the Dock Connector interface, and require specific Dock Connector based accessories to provide TV output even in this mode.

The new iPod models do not appear to be support video output through the headphone jack as previous models did, and the “TV Out” option is now unavailable unless a compatible iPod accessory is connected to the iPod Dock Connector port.

As of Wednesday’s announcement, Apple is selling two new AV accessories for the iPod, supporting composite or component output. The existing Apple iPod Universal Dock also seems to enable this option, as does the iPod Hi-Fi (even though this device itself does not provide video output capabilities). It is not certain whether other accessories will provide video output through the Dock Connector or not.

Be sure to read our recent news article on this subject for more information.

The most asked question at iLounge.com:

How do I copy content from my iPod/iPhone onto my computer?

Converting DVDs, web video, TV shows and more:

The Complete Guide to iPod, Apple TV and iPhone Video Formats

Converting DVDs, web video, TV shows and more:

The Complete Guide to iPod, iPhone and Apple TV Video Conversion (Mac)

Converting DVDs, web video, TV shows and more:

The Complete Guide to iPod, iPhone and Apple TV Video Conversion (Win)

Best Speakers?

Best Headphones?

Best Case?

Best In-Car Solution?

Best Battery Extender?

Find more answers in the latest publications in our Library. Free downloads developed by the editors of iLounge!

Ask iLounge Archives:

1-24-14: Viewing only downloaded iTunes Match tracks

1-22-14: Splitting purchased content between two iPads

12-13-13: Non-Bluetooth Lightning dock speakers

12-11-13: Shared Apple ID and switching away from iPhone

12-6-13: Syncing multiple iCloud data with a family Mac

Read more recent Ask iLounge articles...

View the complete Ask iLounge archives...

« Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 7.4 (Updated x3)

6th generation iPod user interface upgrade for 5th generation iPods »

Comments

could anyone please tell me where can i found a website that i can download any personal, games etc. software for my iphone? i have tried seaching on the web but i have failed. please advise. thanks in advance.

Posted by Plejarde on September 9, 2007 at 7:33 PM (CDT)

how do i get movies on my ipod a have been to itunes and can only find short pixar movies?
also can i transfer dvds i already have on to my ipod as i can with my cds.
im new to all this ipod malarky as you can probably tell!!

Posted by charlieknight on September 10, 2007 at 7:12 AM (CDT)

There is one question that a lot of people want to know about iPod touch display, and hold them (and me) off for pre-ordering the new iPod touch. IS IPOD TOUCH DISPLAY COVER BY GLASS LIKE IPHONE? I think you guys should know this as you guys had a hand-on session last week after the event. Thank you very much.

Posted by k28studio on September 10, 2007 at 7:32 AM (CDT)

Regarding the “TV Out” lock, I was at the Apple store this weekend, playing with the classic and new nano.  They had them docked in first gen universal dock.  I was able to change the “TV Out” setting on while it was docked.  I also played a video track in this setting, and it gave me a blank screen on the iPod screen, as if it was transmitting the video out.

In other words, it appears that the old universal dock works.  I don’t know about the original iPod dock that was shipped with the original iPod photo, the one without the IR window circle on its face but still has an S-video out on its back.

Posted by alexarch in Dallas, TX on September 10, 2007 at 10:06 AM (CDT)

does the new component video out cable work with the iPod 5g?

Posted by tinny on September 11, 2007 at 7:39 AM (CDT)

My concern is how compatible these new iPod classics are—or if they even /are/—with OS 10.3.9. (I know, I know.) Anybody have an idea?

Posted by fastcat on September 12, 2007 at 11:57 AM (CDT)

The Apple Radio remote works both as a radio and a remote with the 3rd-Gen Nano and Classic, as I have confirmed with one of each of these. I’m wondering if the touch will also be compatible. I am not so concerned with the radio functionality. I’d like to be able to use the remote.

Posted by Japester on September 13, 2007 at 10:31 PM (CDT)

The Radio Remote does not work with the iPod touch or the iPhone. It also does not do video-out without connecting to an Apple-authenticated dock. Good news, though: the iPod touch properly outputs audio to iPod car kits that didn’t work with the iPhone. Here’s hoping that Apple adds support for the same accessories to the iPhone, soon.

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on September 13, 2007 at 10:47 PM (CDT)

What about EU volume limitation and tools to solve this problem (gopod)?

Posted by rudolfraith1 on September 15, 2007 at 2:12 PM (CDT)

Does the iPod touch have the same optical-glass screen as the iPhone, or the plastic screen that was originally to be put on the iPhone before Apple announced the upgrade?

Posted by jamesd in Australia on September 15, 2007 at 11:26 PM (CDT)

does anyone know where i could download video converters for transferring videos to my ipod classic?

Posted by dersonek on October 1, 2007 at 4:17 AM (CDT)

my 80GB classic is frozen what do i do to unfreeze it

Posted by derek on January 27, 2010 at 6:53 PM (CST)