TV shows do not appear on iPod
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I have added some TV shows to my iPod. They are listed as TV Shows and when the iPod is connected to iTunes there is a folder called TV Shows where they appear. However, when I disconnect the iPod and look in the Video menu there is no TV Show folder in there, only Movies and Music Videos. I have created a Smart playlist for them but I would prefer it if there was a TV Show folder like there is Movies and Music videos. Is there anyway of creating these main folders on your iPod? I hope you know what I mean and any help would be great.
A: The most common cause of this problem is that the TV Shows have not been properly tagged. In order for a TV Show to appear on the iPod as a TV Show, the Video Kind tag must be set to “TV Show” and it must have a “Show Name” filled in. This problem commonly occurs when ripping your own TV Shows, since any new video files added to iTunes come in with a video kind of “Movie” by default.
For a TV Show, the actual track name refers to the episode title of the individual show (ie, “Trash of the Titans”), whereas the Show Name field refers to the name of the TV Series itself (ie, “The Simpsons”). Since the iPod indexes TV Shows based on their Show name, episodes with a blank show name are not available on the iPod. Further, if there are NO TV episodes with the show name filled in, the iPod will simply omit the “TV Shows” menu option from under the “Videos” menu, since there’s nothing to display in it (as far as the iPod is concerned).
Video files can be properly tagged via the File Info dialog box in iTunes under the Video tab - simply select the track that you would like to modify in iTunes, and choose File, Get Info.
For more information on tagging and video management in iTunes, be sure and check out our Complete Guide to Managing iTunes Videos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Report: 10.5” iPad Pro could still arrive this spring
- Apple’s Pages, Numbers, and Keynote apps gain Touch ID support, other improvements
- Apple releases tvOS 10.2 and Apple TV Remote for iPad
- Apple releases watchOS 3.2, featuring Theatre Mode, SiriKit
- Apple releases iOS 10.3 with Find My AirPods, Siri + CarPlay improvements
- Wells Fargo rolling out ability to use Apple Pay for transactions at some ATMs later this year
- Apple ‘stepping up’ investment in AR glasses, but they’re still reportedly more than a year away
- Beijing court overturns ruling that iPhone 6, 6 Plus violated design patents
- TSMC to begin production of A11 chips for new iPhone in April
- Report confirms legitimacy of at least some of the stolen iCloud credentials being held for ransom
- AudioQuest NightOwl Carbon Headphones
- ExoLens PRO with Optics by ZEISS Wide-Angle Lens Kit
- Blue Sadie Headphones
- Circle with Disney Parental Control and Internet Filtering System
- Pioneer Rayz Plus Lightning Connector Earphones
- BEEM United BeMe D200 Lightning Connector Earphones
- Jam Audio JAM Xterior Max Rugged Wireless Bluetooth Speaker
- HiFiMAN Edition S Headphones
- Divoom Timebox Mini Bluetooth Speaker
- iClever BoostSound BTS-09 Bluetooth Speaker
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10