Two iPods, One Computer
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I have a 40GB fourth generation iPod with approximately 4,000 songs, which are also stored on the hard drive of my computer. I have purchased an iPod mini for my wife and would like to know the best (and simplest) way to manage the songs on both. I would like to auto-sync all of the songs from the hard drive to the 40GB iPod and would like my wife to be able to pick and choose the songs she would like on her mini. Both iPods will be working from the same account in iTunes.
A: Since you only want to automatically sync one of the iPods, you can accomplish your goal easily. When you connect your wife’s iPod mini, click the iPod icon at the bottom-right of the iTunes window to display the iPod preferences. Check Manually Manage Songs and Playlists.
When your wife connects her iPod, iTunes will not attempt to synchronize any music. To add music to her mini, just drag items onto the iPod icon in the Source list: you can drag individual songs, playlists, albums, artists, or entire genres. Your wife can make any number of playlists, and all their contents will be copied when dragging them to her iPod. She can set up her own playlists and leave them in iTunes, if it doesn’t bother you to have those additional playlists in iTunes and auto-synchronized with your iPod. (One suggestion is to name her playlists in such a way as to distinguish them easily; you could use the first letter of her first name, for example, at the beginning of each one. If her name is Alice, her playlists could all be named like this: A-My Favorites.)
Depending on how she wants to access music - by playlist, or browsing by artist, album, etcetera - either adding playlists or adding music directly will be good options for her.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- iFixit highlights ‘Touch Disease’ affecting many iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus models
- Rebranded Nike+ Run Club app adds new tracking abilities
- Apple Music Festival set for Sept. 18-30
- Report: Apple planning three iPhone models for 2017, one with curved OLED display
- Apple investigating after two Foxconn employees died last week
- Apple buys health data startup Gliimpse
- Report: Apple passes on Lyft acquisition
- Apple releases iOS 10 beta 7 to developers
- Report: iPhone 7 to gain optical image stabilization
- Frank Ocean releases new visual album ‘Endless’ on Apple Music
- Philips Sonicare FlexCare Platinum Connected Bluetooth Toothbrush
- Audeze EL-8 Titanium Over-Ear Headphones
- Defined Corp Dome Stand for Apple Watch and iPhone
- Speck StyleFolio Pencil for 9.7” iPad Pro
- Audeze Sine On-Ear Headphone
- First Alert Onelink Wi-Fi Smoke + Carbon Monoxide Alarm
- Logitech Create 9.7” iPad Pro Keyboard Case
- iDevices Outdoor Switch Power Outlet
- 808 Audio Canz XL Bluetooth Speaker
- Standzout Helix Dock for Apple Watch
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 9.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.3
- Opinion: Why Apple needs a dedicated HomeKit app