U2 iPod Impressions: Better looks, cleaner audio? | iLounge Article

Article

U2 iPod Impressions: Better looks, cleaner audio?

By Jeremy Horwitz

Editor-in-Chief, iLounge
Published: Tuesday, November 16, 2004
Articles Categories: First Looks

While the release of a different colored version of an existing product typically isn’t something to get excited about, there’s reason to believe that the iPod U2 Special Edition will be an exception to that rule. Actually, there are a couple of reasons.

Like a number of other recent Apple products - and in no way the fault of the company’s generally superb photographers - the U2 iPod just looks better in person than it does in official publicity shots. For one, Apple’s switch from white to black plastic adds a subtle mirror-like quality to the front of the case, unexpectedly enhancing the iconic appeal of the iPod’s body design. Then there’s the Click Wheel. The white iPod’s use of a gray Click Wheel was more practical than stylish, but the red and white U2 Click Wheel - red background, white letters - is positively more attractive, if not as elegant. U2’s engraved names and the U2 logo on the case’s rear are nothing extraordinary, but the front casing is almost exactly the hint of Mont Blanc we’ve wanted Apple to more fully embrace for some time.

pic

There aren’t any secrets in the box. Most unfortunately, the U2 iPod didn’t surprise us by coming pre-loaded with any U2 music, such as the band’s newest album, again calling into question whether a last-minute deal fell through before the device’s announcement. The presence of a $50 coupon towards a $149 U2 box set is no consolation prize from our standpoint, either, nor is the included poster which features a set of band photos on one side and a seemingly hasty monologue from U2’s Bono on the other.

Packed-in accessories in the box are otherwise identical to those shipped with 20GB fourth-generation iPods. There’s no Dock, for example (let alone a black one), and the headphones remain Apple’s iconic white. The biggest change is the manual holder that ships on the left side of the box, which is now black rather than white, and in our box was actually filthy with brown dirt or dust streaks when it was opened. Unlike early 20GB and 40GB fourth-generation iPods, some of which were reported to have shipped with adhesive goo and scratches on their front and rear surfaces, the manual holder was the only tarnished component in the U2 iPod’s box, but inexplicably so.

pic

pic

But there may be some other good news for potential U2 iPod buyers. Preliminary audio testing on our U2 iPod suggests that Apple may have remedied or at least dramatically reduced the presence of the audio defect we’ve previously reported in fourth-generation iPods. While the defect seemed to materialize in only a subset of earlier units, and therefore we’ll need to wait for more reader input before concluding that the defect has been fixed, we haven’t heard it at all in this unit. Please feel free to use this thread to report your findings on this issue.

Our gallery of iPod U2 Special Edition photos can be viewed here.

« The iPod industry reacts to iPod Photo and more

iPod Photo Diagnostic Mode revealed »

Comments

ipods can’t come preloaded with music. The DRM doesn’t work that way. Your music has to be in itunes first. So there’s no resaon to be disapointed and you should explain it that way instead of that, the deal allomost feel through bs!!!

Posted by whocares in Denver on November 17, 2004 at 7:20 AM (PDT)

Yeah, iTunes doesn’t let you transfer songs from iPod to PC/Mac, so wy would they preload the music?

Looks cool, but why White Ear Buds? and would it kill them to throw in a Dock?

Posted by croooow in Fairfax, VA on November 17, 2004 at 8:11 AM (PDT)

And the other cable’s could have been black to match as well, It’s not like they would have a hard time finding Black Wire!

Posted by croooow in Fairfax, VA on November 17, 2004 at 8:13 AM (PDT)

Actually, the reason the iPods don’t come with music on it is because it isn’t formated. No way to tell if it’s connecting to a mac or pc.

Posted by WebsnapX2 on November 17, 2004 at 8:37 AM (PDT)

Um… being a programmer, i know there are very, very easy ways to get around the whole “can’t preload songs on an iPod” thing.  Saying it’s “not possible” is ignorant.  It can easily be done… afterall, the iPod simply stores what files it has in a database.  At the very *worst* they could flag an entry so that it cannot be removed and then respect that flag during synch.

This is all assumed, of course, that the iPod were to come pre-formatted.

Posted by cranley in saskatoon, canada on November 17, 2004 at 8:46 AM (PDT)

I think what we are saying is that Apple’s iPod doesn’t offically allow songs to be transferred from iPod to iTunes.

If they preload songs then they’d have to support it (or offically recommend using a third party solution)

Posted by croooow in Fairfax, VA on November 17, 2004 at 8:49 AM (PDT)

I’m waiting for the iPod Sha Na Na Special Edition.

Posted by Capnquirky in Shell Pile New Jersey on November 17, 2004 at 9:09 AM (PDT)

The earphones are white because they are what clue people in that you’re ‘part of the club’. White earphones are the true iconic fashion element of the iPod on the street, not the color of the shell. It’s a wonder to me that someone (*COUGHDELLCOUGH*) hasn’t come out with a device with white earphones…

Posted by bipto in Minneapolis, MN on November 17, 2004 at 9:12 AM (PDT)

Perhaps it would have justified the extra $50 a bit more if the purchase came with a coupon valid for $50+ worth of downloads from ITMS. They could still promote U2 as a part of that, but in fact the customer might spend it other ways. How about a contribution to one of Bono’s many charitable works?

I would wager that most fans of U2 who would buy the special edition iPod are somewhat diehard and thus already own most of U2’s collection in one form or another, rendering preloaded songs redundant anyway.

I do like the look.

I understand a Britney Spears edition is in the works. Hot pink, but it doesn’t stay connected to your computer for more than a few days before it moves on.

Posted by BradPDX in Portland, OR USA on November 17, 2004 at 9:48 AM (PDT)

Mine came today, and I definitely agree that pictures do not do this justice.  The finish is a nice glossy black combined with a matte red wheel; it looks great.

And yes, as a die-hard U2 fan, I already have everything so the complete discography box-set does me no good.  Oh well.

Posted by m. sherman in Northern VA on November 17, 2004 at 9:53 AM (PDT)

If someone came out with a device that came with white earphones (and would probably be a white device as well) it would look so much like a rip off, I don’t think a company wants to look like they are TRYING to rip apple’s look off.

The iPod is going to look stupid with white ear phones. But you’d probably want better earphones anyway, now it will be easy to match!

Posted by croooow in Fairfax, VA on November 17, 2004 at 9:56 AM (PDT)

m. sherman, is the backlight still blue? Wouldn’t red be cool?

Posted by croooow in Fairfax, VA on November 17, 2004 at 10:00 AM (PDT)

The music could have been included on a CD in the black manual holder. Or handled as Cranley explained above. Or pre-loaded on a Windows-formatted iPod, given that ~90% of iPod buyers are PC users.

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on November 17, 2004 at 10:13 AM (PDT)

croooow,

The backlight is blue.  Yes, red would have been killer, but the blue doesn’t look bad at all.

Also, the white earphones do not actually look as stupid as they sound.  The red/white/black is actually a nice combo.

Posted by m. sherman in Northern VA on November 17, 2004 at 10:23 AM (PDT)

i guess im the only one who finds it funny that ipod users went on for so long how all the other mp3 players were “plain” for being black colored and the ipod was better because it was white.

Posted by steel102 on November 17, 2004 at 1:21 PM (PDT)

Just got mine last night.  I love the colors.

Although I had trouble formatting it, I was up till 2:00 am till I finally got it working.

Posted by gil22jr on November 17, 2004 at 1:38 PM (PDT)

shiny black plastic is the ultimate WORST for handheld devices—its a scratch-happy fingerprint smudge-factory.  take a good look at your new u2 ipod when you take it out of the box, because thats the first and only time it’ll ever look new… or clean for that matter.

Posted by petro on November 17, 2004 at 2:05 PM (PDT)

I pickedup the U2 Ipod from the Apple Store near my house. I got the $30 discount as my wife is a nursing student, so it was $319 total. I also own the Ipod Photo 40GB but I really love the black/red contrast, very nice.

It DOES scratch VERY easily. I have scrathes already and its been in the case from the moment I opened it. So I bet within a few weeks it will look much worse.

BUT I love it anyway. If I was buying a new Ipod today and didnt own one, I would go with the U2 as I like the colors.

I wish they would of either mae the display glow red, or used teh color screen from the photo Ipod. The Ipod photo’s screen is just amazing.

Posted by Steve VM on November 17, 2004 at 2:15 PM (PDT)

Maybe it should come pre-loaded with White Stripes songs because they’ve nailed the colour scheme perfectly.

Posted by schmurray in Australia on November 17, 2004 at 5:13 PM (PDT)

How did you guys get one?  I looked at the Apple store last week and they didn’t have them.  Should I try again?

Posted by iMax in Palo Alto, CA on November 17, 2004 at 5:16 PM (PDT)

Love the black box included for the manual(s).

By the way, I’m A Cafenut.

Posted by Shahid in New York on November 17, 2004 at 5:52 PM (PDT)

I agree that if you are a true U2 fan that you will already have all there songs any way, but doesnt that digi box set come with about 20 unreleased and unheard songs??? So if you are a true U2 fan you would no doubt pay what ever price just to get these 20 or so songs!!  as i live in Japan and have no access to iTMS,  i am interested to know what these unreleased songs are!
Bryce

Posted by bryceyrocks in Japan on November 17, 2004 at 6:13 PM (PDT)

Ah but this is Apple black, a totally different (and classier) shade of black. I predict many extreme Apple fans will write many, many words about how much sexier this particular black is over all over black -themed MP3 players in the world. Especially those nasty black iRivers. They suck, didn’t you know? Their black just totally blows. Only Apple could make such a glossy, lustrous, expensive, beautiful black. And did you know Steve Jobs tends to wear black turtlenecks? Only someone with such a soulful connection to the essence of black cooldom could have designed the ultimate piece of black electronics.

And so on.

Posted by Demosthenes on November 17, 2004 at 7:25 PM (PDT)

I saw lots of them at a Best Buy last night. They had a full stock of every iPod available at this time (Mini’s, 40/60 GB photos, 20/40GB 4Gs and the U2)

Posted by croooow in Fairfax, VA on November 18, 2004 at 4:07 AM (PDT)

I wonder if not actually putting U2’s music on the iPod itself has something to do with their agreement with Apple Corp. It seems to me that it could constitute actual distribution of music (as opposed to Apple being a retailer, in the case of the ITMS) and would give Apple Corp even more canon fodder in their ongoing lawsuit.

Posted by JimmyJ on November 18, 2004 at 10:50 AM (PDT)

Not putting the music on the iPod has to do with the fact that the HD in the iPod does not come pre-formatted.  When you hook it up to a Windows box, it’ll format it vfat, if you hook it up to a Mac, it’ll format it HFS+.

I’m guessing it’s just as simple as that.  The HD’s just do not come pre-formatted.

Posted by m. sherman in Northern VA on November 18, 2004 at 11:23 AM (PDT)

screw U2, i’m calling mine the Incredibles pod.

Posted by realworlder on November 18, 2004 at 11:26 AM (PDT)

screw U2, i’m calling mine the Incredibles pod.

Posted by realworlder on November 18, 2004 at 11:29 AM (PDT)

I want red earphones.

Posted by Simplelife on November 18, 2004 at 5:39 PM (PDT)

Just an FYI to you all ... I had checked the technical specs for the U2 iPod and noticed it came with a dock (this was the day it was released).  A day or 2 later they had removed it from the technical specs (a mistake apparently made).  Luckily I ordered the U2 iPod the same day of its release and noted the change and called Apple.  The good thing is they honoured their mistake, and sent me a dock (alas, it is white though but it goes with the headphones and rest of the cabling :S).  But kudos for Apple for honouring it.

Posted by Arabian Viking in Houston, TX on November 19, 2004 at 6:43 AM (PDT)

So I thought of another dillema for my U2 iPod ... I love the darn thing but I want to be able to show off the black and red but also the signatures on the back ... anyone know of cases that would let you do that.  Most of the cases I know will cover the whole back and a considerable part of the front.  I know there are translucent but that would defeat the signatures and colours showing through.

Posted by Arabian Viking in Houston, TX on November 19, 2004 at 6:53 AM (PDT)

i actually DON’T want to show the sigs … so the case actually helps in this … but i’d rather not use the case — it looks and feels so much sleeker w/o. I’ll have to pick my moments as to when to undress her. Much keep her pretty!

Posted by How to Dismantle an Atomic Pod in East coast on November 19, 2004 at 6:57 AM (PDT)

except for the eventual correction of a sound defect (the actual 4g is the same under the shell) that has been probably fixed also on the other ipods i think that the most attractive color is only an opinion (personally I find it simply disgusting) the price is absolutely to high (even if you like black and red togheter).

Posted by ugluck in Italy on November 19, 2004 at 10:44 AM (PDT)

I picked mine up last night and I would have to say it does not disappoint smile its looks wicked!!!! Although I wished they threw in new U2 cd even if they added $20 on top of the $350 i still would have gladly purchased it . Don’t you guys find it odd that it’s a U2 iPod and yet no music whatsoever :(  Also, I just don’t see the need to buy the 400 song collection either since I have all their albums.

Posted by geekette17 in Glendale, CA on November 19, 2004 at 10:58 AM (PDT)

you’d think they would include a special itunes coupon that could only buy a U2 album or songs just to make up for the $50 extra and non matching cables

Posted by Zer0cool in Cold City AntArctica on November 19, 2004 at 12:09 PM (PDT)

Zer0cool,

I’m not sure if I’m reading your post right, but the U2 ipod *does* include a $50 off coupon toward the U2 digital box set.

Posted by m. sherman in Northern VA on November 19, 2004 at 12:48 PM (PDT)

Great case for the U2 ipod

Posted by macsuibhne in Bay Area on November 19, 2004 at 3:00 PM (PDT)

Gaa.  If only it wasn’t called the U2 edition.  Might as well have called it the KennyG edition or the Phil Collins edition.  Your death metal just won’t sound good coming out of something with Mr. The Edge and Bonor’s siggies on the back.

Posted by monsterdonkey in Vancouver BC on November 20, 2004 at 6:32 PM (PDT)

i agree that the U2 iPod looks cool.  But i have to agree with the complaints about the $50 coupon for U2 music….  Many people scrape and save for an iPod, and won’t consider the cost of the Box set… As stated, direhard fans have the music already!!!  This really should be taken up with Apple.  The $50 certificate should be for iTunes downloads. It will appeal to a broader audience that way…  More $ for Apple, Who looses in this situation?  U2?  Naw, but Apple should consider this the next time they team with a band, or produce limited edition products.

Posted by evolbendy in MN on November 20, 2004 at 6:34 PM (PDT)

Sorry to do this, but “loses” is how you spell that.  Loose is the opposite of tight.

Posted by monsterdonkey in Vancouver BC on November 20, 2004 at 9:11 PM (PDT)

I am personally going to get this instead of a new 40 Gig.  It is just so cool!

Posted by Zac Shuck in United States on November 21, 2004 at 8:08 PM (PDT)

OK… A couple things:

1. I would not suggest anyone purchase that black U2 JamJacket. The JamJacket is terrible, with the worst screen protection of any of the skins. Instead, go for an iSkin (they make black) or an iVod (if you prefer leather). You’ll be unhappy with a JamJacket.

2. The so-called “audio defect” was not present in my 4G 20GB iPod. It seems to me that those who have the defect were either being SUPER-nitpicky, or they had a legitimately defective iPod, in which case they could send it back and get it repaired or replaced under warranty. Either way, the defect wasn’t something that every iPod had, and there’s no reason to believe it would be present in every U2 iPod, either.

3. Now, where’s that David Bowie iPod I’m waiting for?

Posted by Wilder_K_Wight on November 21, 2004 at 10:27 PM (PDT)

I actually ordered this case for me—it’s transparent so it will still show off your ipod

Posted by geekette17 in Glendale, CA on November 22, 2004 at 12:41 PM (PDT)

I Like the looks of it but , think it could go without the u2 propaganda all over the back. NOT A FAN

Posted by iMatt in junction city or on November 27, 2004 at 4:42 PM (PDT)

uhhhhhhhhhh i don’t have an ipod yet. my mom is gonna buy me one for X-maS so would someone tell me like how good the “ipod” really is. i g2g my 6th period teacher is comin over here LATE

Posted by GBABY in MOTOWN, CALI on November 29, 2004 at 12:59 PM (PDT)

hello everyone i am a melvyn . i got a new u2 ipod yesterday. i was very happy . i wanted to show it off so i went for a walk. while i was crossing the road it fell out . oh no not a lorry. now i have four little ipods.

Posted by melvyn in comber on November 30, 2004 at 4:04 AM (PDT)

I was just wondering if you can store music on the u2 ipod
. can anyone tell me please.thankyou. i’am not 2 good with technology these days.

Posted by melvyn in comber on November 30, 2004 at 4:08 AM (PDT)

Formatting ... given that 100% of iPod buyers are PC users, they should leave it as it is, I’m pretty sure even Windows users are perfectly able to do so them self…

...and please, how should we deal with xenophobia, while we can’t cope with people using different plattforms…

but of course people from the big cities think of those behind the “blue mountains” as a bit simple and silly ones ... I think they don’t think about them at all, but the ones behind the mountain have a little problem seeing themselves the right way ... I’m an Apple user since ever and I never felt the need to devaluing Windows-PC users ... I also do not know which kind of black is most beautiful ... guess it’s a question of taste, but that the Apple guys spend a few more thoughts on tasteful design is simply the truth (but only a unique selling proposition that maybe sometimes helps the “smaller competitor”) ... and the most important thing is that they’re also thinking about a very practical design for most perfect use… and that is an aspect that counts!

I simply think that the iPod is the best mp3-player out there (talking about an mp3-player, not a multi-kulti multi-use thing which I can also use for shaving ...) but by the time they should think about pricing and even if they want to sell as much as possible, in my oppinion the only really big disadvantage (to some competitors) is the power supply!
the ability to get and replace a batterie without special knowledge, to still being able to use an otherwise perfect device should be natural ... I feel like having the right to use a thing a little longer than the limited live-span of a rechargeable-battery, even if there is an upgraded device available, especially something that is limited in use and costs over 300 bugs (there are a lot of things one has to buy to be suitable computed, so there is still a lot of money they get payed) ... I could easily imagine that this makes a lot of iPod users going Creative, Archos, Rio or whatever and to win lost customers again is very hard when they were disappointed.

best regards

Posted by rumpus in Germany on November 30, 2004 at 6:01 AM (PDT)

rumpus is gay

Posted by melvyn in comber on November 30, 2004 at 11:00 AM (PDT)

Seems like we were liberated from beige only to be imprisoned again by white. Honestly what was Apple thinking with the U2 edition? i absolutely love it and will keep mine only to protest the white prison that Apple has us in and “think different” Seems the Apple of hammer throwing days is now the big blue or rather big white.

As for black accesories folks here is the latest. After spending lots of time interviewing and reinterviewing people at various companies this is what their official position on black accesories is:

Griffin:
iTrip in black available now. iTalk never happen.

Navipod and Its competitiors: Never happen

Colorware PC: “we will only sell black docks if you buy a colored ipod”. Why? “because we want people to buy colored ipods”. This was truly the silliest of interviews. Here is an opportunity for them to cash in on black docks and other items and they choose to pass.

All others: no comment in other words if others do it we will jump on board.

Apple: never happen think white is cool and matches perfectly. However this position can change as per demand.

Here is one accessory that should be invented if any of you lame accessory companies are reading:

Considering ipods integration into the home AV. A dock with an Ir transmitter in both black and white (including the cables). In other words have a remote built into the dock and call it iDock-AV. Perhaps charge 49.99 0r 59.99. Include a backlit remote that allows you to select songs and turn it off. A more expensive model could include some sort of LCD display.

Hello Navipod! you did us frequent travelers a great service with the 2G version navipod but it is time you evolve. 3G version is lame as it does not provide power. peraps you can take a stab at it or perhaps Altec Lansing or Monster can.

Posted by ipodmonkey on December 1, 2004 at 12:40 AM (PDT)

just picked up my U2 ipod..love it..buttt man the scratches on the black surface are crazy…anyone have the same problem…what would be a cool case to use for it??

Posted by louisca in australia on December 1, 2004 at 4:46 AM (PDT)

Question for all?? When I looked at the Apple site announcing the upcoming U2 ipod back in October I’m confident the announcement stated the Complete U2 was included in the purchase price. Does anyone else remeber this? Help!

Posted by bonniecat on December 2, 2004 at 2:12 PM (PDT)

i am desprate for an iPod!!! should i get the U2?

Posted by gothic girl in in a room on December 2, 2004 at 5:15 PM (PDT)

i am desprate for an iPod!!! should i get the U2?

Posted by gothic girl in in a room on December 2, 2004 at 5:15 PM (PDT)

U2 Special Edition hooked up to Mercedez-Benz SLK230 by iCarPlay:

Hmm…I love it!

Posted by DAIGO in Pittsburgh, PA on December 3, 2004 at 11:19 PM (PDT)

can’t they just make a metal front for me? They can call it the NOFX Ipod or the heavymetal Ipod. Same material as the back. The U2 Ipod looks awful black red white and crome are not minimalistic. It’s down right gawdy. I can’t believe U2 has a big enough following to make this project reasonable. Wouldn’t Eminem sell more? Or was this a strictly over-seas promo? I want the limited edition all gunmetal blue steel Ipod with reinforced rubber corners (and a recessed face for ripaway strips to protect the screen) Eminem Ipod (Then the grey wheel on the front might fit in for the g4s)
PS I couldn’t care less about the fingerprints on the metal as metal>>>>plastic any day of the year. You say true billy and I say thankya

Posted by ninjarouge in NY on December 8, 2004 at 1:18 AM (PDT)

Hi all,
seriously considering buying the U2 Ipod, but just trying to time it right due to the cost. My question is, is it a limited edition? I’ve read little or nothing to indicate this but would love to know for sure.

thx,
vt

Posted by vapourtrail in Canada on December 12, 2004 at 2:33 AM (PDT)

I bought the U2 iPod just because of the colour.

I’m 58 and the traditional iPod white always turned me off. As soon as I saw the red and black U2 version I had to have it - despite the U2 signatures and pointless rambling by Bono on the poster.

My iPod needed to be formatted before I could use it. Initially, it would not be recognized in Windows and once I fixed that it turned out that only 12GB of the 20BG were available - hence the formatting. Not near as easy as described in the so-called manual.

Anywho, it now works flawlessly and I’m loving it. Got to find a nice black leather case though…

Posted by OttawaTony in Ottawa, Canada on December 17, 2004 at 10:07 AM (PDT)

For those intrested in getting your iPod painted:

[url=http://www.colorwarepc.com]http://www.colorwarepc.com[/url]

A little more than the extra you would pay for the U2, but you get to pick your color.

Posted by KBrew in NJ on December 25, 2004 at 4:28 AM (PDT)

I got my U2 iPod first thing it came out. Noteworthy for me was the fact that it was shipped directly from Shanhai! You’d think something like this could be made right here in the USA. Besides the click-wheel there’s no difference at all in the sound quality etc. that I can see. Being a longtime U2 fanatic, this is just another toy. Nothing special. I do agree that it should’ve come pre-loaded with U2 music. I refuse to use the boring iTunes and instead used X-PLAY which works MUCH better in transferring music back and forth. I see no reason why not to include the music. On the other hand my U2 iPod ONLY stocks…you guessed it: U2. smile

Posted by Jonathan on December 25, 2004 at 10:21 PM (PDT)

I got mine for Xmas, and I must say that it IS stunning in person, vs. the photographs.

And I’m a professional photographer.

I guess i didn’t ‘get it’ but I was expecting some ‘free music’ with purchase. As in not having to buy to get anything free.

The black front scratches INSTANTLY, and I already have a bunch of bummer scratches.

Does anyone know if those plastic treatments will rub out scratches on this model? I have used them successfully on the white models.

The white earphone look is fine, it actually looks like a fashion statement, and not a mistake.

The bluish backlight is quite stunning, and far more even from side to side, and more swank than the original backlight.

So overall there are some real pluses and minuses with this iPod. i LOVE the look, but for people like me who didn’t read the fine print there was a bit of disappointment about the music.

My big wish would be plastic that does not scratch as easily.

Still, overall, it’s a home run in my book

morbius

Posted by Morbius in montclair, NJ on December 27, 2004 at 7:17 AM (PDT)

I’d so buy this if it had the option of not having the autographs on the back, and being able to laser engravate it at apple.com

Posted by overdrive2023x on December 30, 2004 at 8:17 PM (PDT)

Question….I know there are products that r sold that remove scratches on the WHITE iPods, is there reason 2 believe they would not work on this one?

Posted by Disciple in Earth on January 6, 2005 at 6:42 AM (PDT)

Buy the Pod Shields from Trendygeek.com. They are the best case to show off any ipod.

Posted by soko on January 9, 2005 at 12:26 PM (PDT)

It’s a very sweet looking device. Red and Black are my favorite colors, especially together like that, but having a different color does not justify a 50 dollar price hike.

Games do this sort of thing all the time, releasing a “collector’s edition"of sorts. One can argue that alone would add value, but usually they come with something worthwhile.

Though it could be to cater to U2 fans. I myself would only buy this for the colors. Maybe Apple should take the hint and release different color ipods like they have for the minis…..though White does seem to go with everything. lol

Posted by Seto Kaiba on January 12, 2005 at 9:58 PM (PDT)

It would have been very cool if all of the cords and ear buds and dock were available in red to match the click wheel.  Of course all of the acessories I have been buying are the iconic white.  Though you have to admit that, black, red and white do go together well.

Posted by Drebe73 in Florida on January 30, 2005 at 9:27 AM (PDT)

Does anyone want to split the cost of the Complete U2?  I can burn you a copy onto a DVD+/-R.

Posted by Tchocky in The O.C. on February 2, 2005 at 7:42 AM (PDT)

I wanted an iPod.

I simply did not like the white.

I was thrilled with the sleek black and red.

And I happen to adore U2.

My verdict: Perfect. I’m beyond thrilled.

1700 songs, and loading more every day. A Black EVO skin keeps it perfectly protected, I’m going to get Shure E2 earbuds. My one gripe is no black connector cords.

Perfect, perfect life accessory. I can’t imagine a day without it.

Posted by DigitalKim in Dallas TX on February 9, 2005 at 4:18 AM (PDT)

I got the U2 iPod and im very pleased with it, except that the black cover seems to get blemished easily. o.O

Posted by Ashearo in Singapore on February 26, 2005 at 8:31 AM (PDT)

Oh and my U2 iPod DID NOT come with the $50 coupon. Thats because Singapore doesnt have the iTunes Music Store available. Even then, we could have gotten something else….

Posted by Ashearo in Singapore on February 26, 2005 at 8:34 AM (PDT)

I never was one to lust after an ipod, but the opportunity arose when my family went to Hong Kong and could get a sweet deal on one.

I wasn’t fussed about what it looked like.
My sister was swayed into buying the U2 because they came with a free pack of i-socks and a dock.

Can’t complain, I definately like it better than the white ones, haha, feel so much more superior when I walk past someone with a white one, lol

All I have to say is, get some i-socks, don’t have any scratches on mine, and all it’s been doing is swimming around in my bag. smile

Posted by Spikespiegel on June 5, 2005 at 2:26 AM (PDT)

I actually bought the U2 one as it fits perfectly the interior of the car I own. I am about to get http://www.dension.com/icelink_info.htm and the match is made in heaven smile

Posted by drmjx on June 15, 2005 at 10:32 AM (PDT)