Understanding the iPod family: new iPod minis and photos | iLounge Article

Article

Understanding the iPod family: new iPod minis and photos

In response to news articles that have appeared since Apple announced the “new” iPod mini and iPod photo hardware yesterday, iLounge has produced a summary of new iPod facts that may be of use to our readers and journalists alike.

Broadly, How Did the iPod Family Change Yesterday?

picNew iPods: Apple introduced the largest capacity iPod mini ever made - 6-Gigabytes (1,500 songs) instead of 4-Gigabytes (1,000 songs) - and unveiled the smallest capacity iPod photo ever made - 30-Gigabytes (7,500 songs), down from 40-Gigabytes (10,000 songs).

Lower Prices: The company also made bold pricing moves with both its mid-range iPod mini and high-end iPod photo lines, slashing the price of the 4-GB iPod mini to $199 from $249, and even more aggressively cutting the prices of its premium, color-screened iPod photos, which used to sell for $499-599. The new models sell for $349-449, a $150 price difference. Apple’s drop of the 4GB iPod mini’s price to $199 expands its availabilty to an even larger audience, and consequently, there are now iPods at every $50 price point from $99 to $349, increasing steadily in capacity and features.

Discontinued iPods: Apple simultaneously discontinued two 40-Gigabyte iPods, a black-and-white model ($399) and a color iPod photo ($499), as well as an unpopular gold-colored iPod mini, leaving only four color options for that device.

picWhat Do the Changes Really Mean? The black-and-white full-sized iPod is fading away, as are options in the upper middle range. More powerful iPod photo hardware is now priced to entice a much larger audience, and for the first time in years, the most expensive iPod now sells for under $499. That iPod, the 60GB iPod photo ($449), has twice the storage capacity of the 30GB model that sells for $100 less.

But black-and-white iPods are still selling well, most likely because of their lower prices. Consequently, Apple did not discontinue its black-and-white screened 20GB iPod, or its 4GB iPod mini, the company’s most popular iPod-badged products in 2004. The price of the 20GB iPod ($299) remained the same, and still represents a sizeable capacity jump from the 6GB iPod mini priced at $249.

What About Smaller, Fine Print Changes?

The Positives and Neutrals: As a clear benefit, Apple increased the iPod mini’s estimated battery life from 8 to 18 hours. Neutrally, it modestly strengthened the blue, green, and pink shades used in iPod mini casings, and changed the color of the iPod mini’s Click Wheel print to match its respective casing. At this link, Apple describes the new iPod mini as a “second-generation” iPod mini, and discusses the few cosmetic and other differences we have noted and photographed.

The Consequences: Unfortunately, the company stopped including FireWire cables and FireWire wall chargers with both the iPod mini and the iPod photo; the iPod mini now is charged primarily with an included USB 2.0 cable through a computer’s powered USB 2.0 port, and you can buy a wall charger ($29) separately. The iPod photo includes both a USB wall charger and cable, but no longer includes TV photo playback cables, a Dock, a carrying case, or a FireWire cable.

picWas Anything Else Introduced?

Accessories: Responding to consumer demands, Apple also announced the late March release of a digital Camera Connector ($29), which allows iPod photo users to transfer digital photos directly to the color-screened iPod from a camera, and then view the pictures on the screen without using a computer. The Camera Connector is believed to be a substantial improvement on Belkin’s Digital Camera Link accessory, released last year, which can slowly transfer photographs to any iPod but not display them on the iPod photo’s screen. Additionally, Apple introduced a plastic and fabric Pod mini lanyard ($19) that attaches to the mini’s bottom and suspends it upside down as a necklace, and five new colors of its iPod mini armband ($29).

Software: Apple introduced a broad-ranging software updater for older iPods that added Shuffle Songs and Music options to their main menus, bringing them into near-parity with modern black-and-white screened fourth-generation iPods. An increased number of iPods can also create and store multiple on-the-go playlists, as well. The updater also gives iPod shuffles the ability to use Apple’s optional add-on Battery Pack accessory, which as of press time has not appeared in stores.

« Connecting an iPod to audio equipment

Understanding the Podcasting Revolution »

Comments

It seems that Apple is really on the ball this year. With the Mac Mini drawing in PC converts, the introduction of the Ipod Shuffle, and now the “2G” mini and a lower priced Ipod Photo. If apple keeps this up, Microsoft won’t be the king of the world anymore. And I, for one, welcome this change with open arms.

BTW, are there any other third party docks for the photo out there? (read: cheaper)

Posted by Seto Kaiba on February 24, 2005 at 11:09 AM (CST)

Everything keeps changing; here-today-gone-tomorrow models; shifting price spectrums; must get new version iPod with iMovie capabilities; have you seen new solar-powered 21 gig mini in the new clear case; feel like head going to explode; must hold on and hope the Obsolesence Wars taper off before I switch back to my Sony Walkman tapedeck.

Posted by Pragmatist on February 24, 2005 at 1:33 PM (CST)

Anyone noticed that Apple doesn’t mention skip protection with their iPod photo anymore? Not in the specs, nowhere. That’s weird, no?

Posted by NX2000 on February 24, 2005 at 2:46 PM (CST)

Apple should really slow down, and go back to their old system of making a new ipod every few quarters or so. This idea of making new ipods every few months is not only annoying, but stupid. I can see why they would release a better mini, but they should of kept their photo thing deals the same, or lower them slower. People who bought the photo when they came out are probably pissed that they didn’t know about this sooner.

Posted by M Bargo in Chicago, IL on February 24, 2005 at 2:46 PM (CST)

m bargo, they are moving a lot of stock. From what it seems, before and now they’re just making new ipods when they run out.

on another note, won’t it be more expensive to get all the bundled stuff for the ipod photos and the ipod photos now?

Posted by tumblingwall in u.s. on February 24, 2005 at 2:53 PM (CST)

I’m getting worried with where Apple’s headed. The most obvious indication is the introduction of iPod socks, which is a horribly non-Apple idea. The language in their product descriptions is getting much more “annoying,” and they seem to care about the iPod much more than the Macs I love. Even within the iPods, they’re getting cheaper: the packaging is done with less care, cables are being dropped that people will want to have, and they dropped all but one normal-iPod capacity. Also, they seem to have taken the first step toward killing off FireWire. I like FireWire! Apple is the company that made the port common, and I don’t want them to kill it until there’s a great improvement, not just for another standard that’s more Windows-friendly.

I’m just worried.

Posted by Sidney in Montclair, NJ on February 24, 2005 at 3:35 PM (CST)

I agree.  I think with all this change people are going to wait 8 weeks for the next iPod to come out and then buy the discounted ones when the new ones come out.  Apple will lose a lot of money when people are trained to wait until what they wants goes by the wayside for a new model.  Look at the clothing industry.  Who pays full retail prices any more.  At the begining everyone wanted an iPod and was willing to pay full price to get one.  Now….who knows.

Posted by schaaking in Minneapolis on February 24, 2005 at 3:55 PM (CST)

OMG, everyone wants a new ipod with new features and so they release them and theres complaining. Instead of having to wait sooo long for the ipods to get better, you can by them now. WHy does anyone domplain that they realeased NEW stuff? Or lowered the prices? If you want all the cables, buy them. it’ll still cost the same as before the price change, so whats the problem?

Posted by tymeflame in room on February 24, 2005 at 4:59 PM (CST)

The new prices are good. I have to wonder how under-performing were the sales of the higher-priced photo models that Apple had to slash so much so quickly?

Posted by Demosthenes on February 24, 2005 at 5:11 PM (CST)

In response to Sidney:  They are responding to what the market wants.  People are buying alot of iPods, they are the really hot product.  Also, the market Apple is competeing in (hard disk mp3 players) is rather new and highly competitive and rapidly fluctuating.  I mean think about it, the Apple computers very much fill a certain niche.  Not everyone is going to go out and buy a Mac, BUT everyone can go out and buy an iPod.  it makes sense for them to be constantly assaulting the market with new products to out-do their competitors (i.e. Creative)

Posted by reallygoodcake in DC on February 24, 2005 at 5:27 PM (CST)

i think that apple has really screwed over the 60GB .. don’t get me wrong, lower prices are great ... but it used to be their behemoth top-of-the-line flagship iPod ; it was a supreme luxury it came with more-than-you-needed high-quality cables not to mention a dock, it was the biggest and the baddest
i think they really should have maybe made it for the 499 pricemark so that they didn’t lose their “super-luxury” type of appeal and made it the only iPod which came with cables and a dock.

not that i could afford it , but i think that apple should make a defineably luxury iPod .. as iPods are losing something they used to have that whole customer experience, in that the box was neatly packaged and all the cables were excellent and stuff like that i think make a difference in a certain market, the 60gb iPod photo would have been perfect as their one super-luxury iPod

although i think the introduction of the 30GB is definitely a great thing, its incredibly affordable /etc

personally i would have liked them to keep the firewire cable, its really just principle because there are a lot of mac users without usb 1.1 and either way i’d prefer firewire because it is faster [with sustained transfers]

Posted by sinclair on February 24, 2005 at 5:28 PM (CST)

nx2000, I think stating that iPods have skip protection is completely useless and might serve to confuse some customers. It is curious though how the iPod photo and iPod mini now have such great battery lifes. Perhaps they increased the ram (read: skip protection).

Posted by minty on February 24, 2005 at 5:33 PM (CST)

my understanding is that the mini got a new physical battery.  They possibly also increased the RAM or improved the way the hard disk reads (similar the the way it changed between 3rd and 4th gen of the regular iPod).

Posted by purplestallion in Dallas, Texas on February 24, 2005 at 6:11 PM (CST)

I was a bit mad that I just bought a 4G 40GB and now its discontinued and I could’ve bought a Photo for only $50 more then I payed for this…but I guess its no big deal.

Posted by Link00seven in Michigan on February 24, 2005 at 6:12 PM (CST)

I am sooooooo annoyed with Apple!
Less than a month ago I bought a $249 4GB iPod mini—a newer version of which is now listed at $199.
For the same price I paid three weeks ago, I could now buy a 6GB mini.
Rats!

Posted by rolfrykken in Washington, DC on February 24, 2005 at 6:16 PM (CST)

I feel the same way about my ipod, because now i want to get a newer one. But if you do in fact buy one the first day that it comes out, you don’t feel as bad about your decision because newer ones won’t come out for a while. *Except for the ipod photo*

Posted by M Bargo in Chicago, IL on February 24, 2005 at 6:57 PM (CST)

Is there any word on how the 18hr battery clocks up yet?

Posted by M Bargo in Chicago, IL on February 24, 2005 at 7:23 PM (CST)

think Apple is heading down the tubes. I’m sorry, Mac heads, I am one too yet I think that this will be the last successful generation for the iPod. They screwed this one up-big time. No AC brick? What were they thinking? No iPod with inclusive dock? When did Apple become this stingy? That they can’t even throw in a FIREWIRE Cable? I was waiting for G5 to come out before I make my iPod purchase, but maybe I’ll just get a DISCONTINUED 40 gig. At least it comes with a FIREWIRE… not to mention a dock. Eather G5 will be something amazing with crazy bells and whisles, or iPod is done. My friends and I have discussed this new “release” and it seems that Apple was just not thinking this one through. I’m sorry if I offended, but just my 2 cents.

Posted by DJ FIZIX on February 24, 2005 at 7:25 PM (CST)

wow, I am totally pissed off, I bought a 40 gb Ipod Photo around January and now this, I could’ve bought a 60 gb for 50$ less now, oh well, at least mine came with the case and cables, but that still pisses me off hardcore.
-Ben

Posted by auburnguy in ga on February 24, 2005 at 8:40 PM (CST)

DJ FIZIX, you prove an interesting point. Although that the new minis don’t include an AC adapter, apple is making a smart move by doing that, so they can lower the price, and make it more available to more potential buyers. Even if someone finds out that it doesn’t include an AC adpater, the minis are still an awesome deal, and they wouldn’t mind paying that little extra. Now like you, I do mind that, but i am generalizing over the public.

Posted by M Bargo in Chicago, IL on February 24, 2005 at 8:44 PM (CST)

This complaining about Apple being “stingy” is off-base.  They have lowered prices, so iPods are more accessible to more people.  This is possible by cutting out a few non-essential accessories that are still perfectly available, so if a person wants one, they can get one.  Get over the fact that pretty soon, everyone who loves music and likes to listen to it on the go, will have an iPod of some sort.

Posted by Nicky G on February 24, 2005 at 8:54 PM (CST)

They are lowering the initial price point, while keeping the total price the same, I recently got a 4g 20 gig and dont think a dock would be worth spending extra money, its a convienience issue. As far as the ac brick, its also a travel/convienence issue, I think I could do without it with an extra 30 dollars to spend on a nice case (which i think is the one accessory that they should include)
I think apples stragegy is brilliant, having an ipod between 100 and 350 at 50 dollar price points, and if people really like apples software and interface, they will be more willing to buy a mac. The ipod is kind of like apples conversion technique to get pc owners to use macs. As far as firewiere goes, usb is becomming an industry standard, not a windows standard. Apple cant expand by limiting themselves to a niche.

Posted by Mike Bayuk on February 24, 2005 at 10:22 PM (CST)

I got a G4 40GB b/w iPod last month and nothing Apple has shown me makes me sorry for that decision. To me it’s the perfect size for a fairly large music collection and I’d hate to have to buy a photo iPod just to get more space for music. I honestly don’t “get” the iPod photo. My PDA has a better screen and a built in camera to boot. I think they’re guilding the lilly and I’m happy to have the last of the “does one thing and does it perfectly” iPod.

Posted by Aristillus in Maryland on February 24, 2005 at 10:23 PM (CST)

Personally, im tired of Apple’s fiasco with release a slew of product without any relative change. Apple needs to add more value to their product rather than discontinuing a product or slightly changing an old product. For example, why not include fm tuner & recorder. When I work at Best Buy, (yes I do work, and yes not every1 knows everything), I feel obligated to feel the mini, 20gig or shuffle to consumers as it represent an icon in the industry. The reason why im venting is b/c i own creative zen micro, which honestly its only drawback is its touchpad otherwise…..its a better product than the mini but i cant vent about b/c the mini has fame.

Posted by ShawnM34 on February 24, 2005 at 11:16 PM (CST)

I personally dig Apple’s continuing innovations. Sure, the other features like AC bricks and Firewire cables were convenient (I use mine all the time), but if you really need them, you’ll buy them. Better to give us the option of either buying them at a Mac store for the same total price in the end as before or foregoing the options in the name of pricet. Otherwise, we’d be forced us to “buy” these prodcucts anyway when include at a higher price.

One question though - now that you can get a $349 30gb Photo, what will happen to the U2 iPod that used to cost the same? I bought my U2 because I wanted it to be different; however, I should have waited 2 months and gotten 10 more gigs (which I really need) and a color screen for the same price. I’m guessing they’re done making them.

Posted by Anthony Ortega in El Paso on February 25, 2005 at 1:42 AM (CST)

sure it is nice to make the ipod accessible to a broader audience. But at what cost? an overall devvaluing of the product line? Sure all the ipods are now cheaper and bigger than ever but they include hardly any of the bells and whistles that the 3g and 4g included. The lack of the firewire is silly when it is so much better than USB 2.  the lack of the firewire ac brick is also hard to fathom. We dont all travel with a laptop to charge our ipods. The only reason that ipods are cheaper now is because apple so cleverly decided to leave out more of the previously standard accessories. It is sad that the ipod is not what it once was. And dont give me that I can buy any accessories I need and it will still be the same price. DUH! that is just Apples way of reducing the bottom line and making nore $$$ on each ipod sold.  One one hand they convey the image of a high end computer hardsware maker with the G5 and Powerbook lines, but the with the new ipod line they are turning into just another bargain basement chinese made mp3 player seller. You cant appeal to everyone which is what Apple seems to be trying to do. Perhaps they will rectify this when the ipod enclosures are redesigned to match the aluminum design themes later this year. That is why only the 20GB b/w remains and the 40 was dropped, a redesign is in the works according to thinksecret. This will bring the flagship ipod in line with the current design trends of the rest of the products…

Posted by zillion on February 25, 2005 at 1:54 AM (CST)

ok here it is without the mistakes and let me preface by saying I liove my current 40 4G Ipod and I love my previous 3G and can’t wait till the 5G but that being said:

Sure all the ipods are now cheaper and bigger than ever but they include hardly any of the bells and whistles that the 3g and 4g included. The lack of the firewire is silly when older macs are only usb 1,1 and the first usb 2 in the G5 was not the fastest or High Speed usb 2 but the slower Full Speed config.  The lack of the firewire ac brick is also hard to fathom. We don’t all travel with a laptop to charge our ipods. The only reason that ipods are cheaper now is because apple so cleverly decided to leave out more of the previously standard accessories. It is sad that the ipod is not what it once was. And dont give me that I can buy any accessories I need and it will still be the same price. DUH! that is just Apples way of reducing the bottom line and making more $$$ on each ipod sold.  One one hand they convey the image of a high end computer hardware maker with the G5 and Powerbook lines, but the with the new ipod line they are turning into just another bargain basement chinese made mp3 player seller. You cant appeal to everyone which is what Apple seems to be trying to do. Perhaps they will rectify this when the ipod enclosures are redesigned to match the aluminum design themes later this year. That is why only the 20GB b/w remains and the 40 was dropped, according to thinksecret a redesign is in the works. This will bring the flagship ipod 5G in line with the current design trends of the rest of Apples higher end products…

Posted by zillion on February 25, 2005 at 2:01 AM (CST)

gold minis were the least popular? less than green? what’s that about?

Posted by par3182 on February 25, 2005 at 4:54 AM (CST)

But the iPod has always been made in China. How is this different?

Posted by Demosthenes on February 25, 2005 at 5:41 AM (CST)

it’s great that the prices have dropped so low… but it’s ridiculous that apple keeps taking the little extras away.  remember when ipods used to come with the remote?  now you have to drop $40 for another set of those crappy ear buds to get a remote.  the price of the 60GB photo has dropped $150 but they have also taken away $120 worth of accessories.  so really, it has only dropped $30.

i agree that taking away firewire is silly.  i’m a pc user (currently, unfortunately) and i think it seems rather un-mac friendly to take away a firewire cable.

as an FYI to anyone who doesn’t know:  apple stores are continuing to sell 40GB Photo ipods that they still have in stock for $379 which is a great deal (an extra 10 GB and $120 worth of bells and whistles for an extra $30).  the 60GB photos they have in stock (the old ones, with all the accessories) will be selling for $479.  THAT is an amazing deal.  get them while they’re still around.

Posted by riotpoof76 in boston on February 25, 2005 at 6:42 AM (CST)

Apple’s newest models are used to get more people on the “iPod road” than ever before.  I am a little disappointment in the lack of included accessories, but at the same time, I can see their justification in doing so.

Changing from FW to USB is a good move for the Windows crowd…how many people do you know that have a FW port on their PC?  Since Macs can handle USB 2.0 it made sense to standardize on the connection method to help cut costs.

Not including the dock isn’t a big deal for a lot of folks either.  How many people keep their iPods in cases?  It is a pain in the butt, to take your iPod out of its case to put it in the dock when the only thing that is serves is to charge your iPod and sit it up verically.  I have never take mine out of it’s case (for fear of scratching the back) so the dock (for me) is totally useless.

The lack of AC adapter?  Again…how many people use their AC adapter for charging vs using the FW/USB cable attached to their computer?

Not including the AV cable for the iPod photo was a dissapointment as that is a nice feature for the iPod photo is to show them on the big screen.  I was kinda bummed about that one.

I think it is smart for Apple to lower the cost and use the “pay for what you need” accessories…

BTW..with the announcements of the 30Gb iPod photo, Buy.com has the iPod photo 40Gb unit on sale for $339!  I went for that model as it still DOES have ALL accessories with it (including the case).

Posted by kendals on February 25, 2005 at 8:14 AM (CST)

DAMN!!!!!!!!That really sucks because I bought a 20GB iPod just a week ago and I wanted a iPod Photo really bad and then right after I bought it, a photo for $349 came out, LAME!!!

Posted by [email protected] on February 25, 2005 at 8:23 AM (CST)

First of all, I think there are some really perceptive people out there. Second, some Mac users are begining to turn their reactionary bile unto Apple itself.

First of all, Apple is a very conciencious company. It’s had to be becuase of its size. It aims to support a very loyal base of Macintosh users. If you look at the new price points all Apple has done is to allow consumers to buy the accessories they want. It’s genious; entry point to iPod ownership is significantly reduced! So if you want all of the accessories (unlikely) you pay more. In that sense I agree with Seto Kaiba that Apple is, indeed, on the ball. However, M Bargo thinks that Apple should slow down. Wha?! Considering how determined the competition has become that makes no sense what so ever. It’s not even a case of older hardware being unsupported. ALL of Apple’s iPods are still being supported. Owners of older models need not worry.

There is one persistant worry among the trad Mac masses and that is that Apple is begining to forget where it came from. I say no. The iPod is not the Mac. Mac lovers must remember that the iPod is a universal product; not a single system one. Apple is competing against every other digital music player out there. Hense, the standards issue. USB2 is more than adequate. It certainly is more popular too. I do feel sympathy for those with USB1 only ports, though.

The biggest issue here, however, for those who wish to read between the announcement, is that a newer version of the iPod (classic) is in the works! When is this beauty going to hit the shops, I wonder?

Posted by NERDBRAIN on February 25, 2005 at 8:57 AM (CST)

I’m in a bad mood now. If only the 30 gb iPod photo was 50 dollars more than the 20 gb regular a few months ago…

*thinks of money raising schemes to raise money for the 30 gb iPod photo*

Posted by Mitch2742 in Maryland on February 25, 2005 at 10:34 AM (CST)

Price reduction?  Excuse me for laughing but the “price reduction” on the 60G iPhoto is a smoke screen.  While I applaud the ability to buy a “stripped” package for $449 instead of $599 for those who don’t need eveything once you factor in all the accessories (all of which I use with my 60G iPhoto) you have a very insignificant, if any, difference in pricing.  And the fact that Apple has chosen to disguise all this while bragging about a “$150 price reduction!” smacks of the same snake oil tactics used when talking about their battery replacement scheme for iPods.

Once again, great products, lousy customer relations.

Posted by RAF in NY on February 25, 2005 at 11:27 AM (CST)

The iPod is over?  Mac is going down the tubes?  Chinese basements?  MY GOD CHILDREN!  You are the most pessimistic people in the world.  My only complaint with the new iPod updates is how much apple is hyping up the “new colors” when they are pretty much exactly the same but a slight degree brighter, i think that marketing technique is cheap and stupid.  but come on, they’ve made almost every iPod more affordable than it was before, yeah Apple totally blows.

Posted by reallygoodcake in DC on February 25, 2005 at 2:40 PM (CST)

as i read these posts I hear a lo of buyers remores.  how can anyone complain that apple is releasing too many products and making them cheaper.
I agree it sucks to buy something and then watch the price go down, but prices for technology always go down.
don’t get me wrong i realize it is some smoke an mirrors because they leave out all accessories, but who cares.  if you want them buy them.
this opens up the door for a lot more people which means more 3rd pparty accessories that are always cheaper.
You can get a retractable firewire cable on ebay for $10.  I’ll buy that and save $50 on my mini

Posted by orbojeff on February 25, 2005 at 2:56 PM (CST)

I have a 4G 40G and I would not trade it for the world. Personally, I have no use for an ipod photo and the 20G is just too small for me. I am grateful that Apple did this because in a few months I will be able to pick up tons of accessories and really cheap prices since no current ipod will be the same size. On another note, I did buy a shuffle to take to the gym and absolutely LOVE it.

Posted by JeffNNJ on February 25, 2005 at 7:42 PM (CST)

I am glad to have purchased my 4G 40G when I did. I use all of the gizmos that came in the box and probably wouldn’t have them if they had not come bundled with the player. I appreciate the goal of broadening the base market, but the strong appeal of this product is its versatility and “cool gear” factor. By reaching out to the lowest common denominator in the portable player market, Apple seems to be abandoning the notion which lead to the creation of the ipod in the first place, bringing more people into the Apple fold. This brand is not about low cost everyman products, but rather for the consumer who wants a better product and is willing to pay for it.

Posted by DaveBSME in Denver, Co on February 26, 2005 at 2:14 AM (CST)

lol…..i have a 4G ipod min and zen micro 5G but i have 32GB of music…..I have loads of music but dont really listen to everything…so i load the albums which suit my personality for the day on both players

Posted by ShawnM34 on February 26, 2005 at 11:38 AM (CST)

I know it was a year ago but im pissed that my £260 20GB 3g is now just as expensive as a 30GB photo :(

Posted by Baby-G in England on February 26, 2005 at 4:22 PM (CST)

But i did get the case dock and remote i geuss but still grrr lol

Posted by Baby-G in England on February 26, 2005 at 4:23 PM (CST)

I really don’t see what the big deal is. For me, and any current iPod owner, the new cheaper prices are fantastic. When i decide upgrade my old 3G, i will be able to save $50 US. I already have an AC brick, firewire cable, apple case and a remote, and i dont need two of each… For existing iPod owners, of which there would be quite a few, this move is great, and even for new buyers, they can save money by not including the accessories they dont need…

Posted by Richie E in Australia on February 26, 2005 at 4:30 PM (CST)

im gonna be heated if they completely cut the basic ipod line. i will be screwed because i dont like the minis or u2 ipod, and don’t really need an ipod photo.

Posted by podskater on February 26, 2005 at 4:46 PM (CST)

FINALLY!!! I have a 10gig 3g, got it in november of 2003, got it replaced in november 2004 (because of battery issue) with new 10gig 3g from apple. I have been waiting for a software upgrade that would actually do something! ON MY 3G I NOW HAVE THE SHUFFLE SONGS ON THE MAIN MENU AND THE MUSIC FOLDER!! THANK YOU APPLE! IF YOU HAVE A 3G, UPGRADE AT APPLE.COM, EVERYTHING LIKE A 4G NOW EXCEPT BATTERY (and size depeneds on what you have) THANK YOU SO MUCH!!

Posted by JbLiStA in The United States on February 26, 2005 at 10:36 PM (CST)

Does anyone know the difference between the new and old ipod photo model? Besides the price drop - cause they don’t include all the extra’s. I feel like I am missing something here. The mini has some great improvements, but I can’t say that about the new photo model.  Just looks like the same to me…

Posted by i-smurf in NL on February 27, 2005 at 1:54 PM (CST)

Will they ever break the 60 GB barrier and produce an 80 or 100 GB ipod? I could use the extra storage space, esp. with Apple Lossless files.

Posted by jamesbaud on February 27, 2005 at 2:40 PM (CST)

Exciting! I think i will buy it soon.

Posted by zhangc in BJ China on March 1, 2005 at 6:43 AM (CST)

I see a lot of complaints that Apple has released new iPods after folks dished out $$ only months ago for the previous generation.  I know how you feel - I bought my 2G 10Gigabyte in January of 2003 (for $399) and only months later the 3G were released with higher capacity and new firmware (which we didn’t get either).  I was bitter at first, but I got over it.  The fact is, the product cycle with consumer electronics is absurdly short - you can always wait a few months for more features for the same price, or you can make your purchase, enjoy it, and get on with your life.  Look at it this way:  a year or two from now, when you upgrade, you’ll have cooler stuff than those who bought in this generation have.  Won’t that be good enough?

Posted by PJ in New York on March 1, 2005 at 10:14 AM (CST)

If you all check on ebay, people are still paying well over 250 dollars American for the old iPod minis.

Funny.

Posted by ecnarf on March 1, 2005 at 6:46 PM (CST)

My understandung us that there is an 80Gb drive from Toshiba. Maybe in the works for the 5G/next G Ipod.
Just bought a 4G 40GB @ reduced price after having returned a 4Gb mini the week before. I was quite dismayed with the price drop (a day after I recevied my mini)- but immensely satisfied wih its big brother

Posted by targa88 in Calgary Alberta on March 1, 2005 at 7:27 PM (CST)

i bought my 4gb ipod mini about two weeks for $250 prior to the unveiling of the new 6 gb mini. This really sucks. There needs to be a way to upgrade for free in situations like this. Anyone have any info. Just thought i’d take a stab at it and tell my story.

Posted by theregoesmygun on March 2, 2005 at 12:34 AM (CST)

The price drops are really the best of both worlds when you stop an consider.

First, this makes them more attractive to potential new iPodders.  Sure, they have a few less accessories, but they really have everything they absolutely need in order to work right out of the box.  And the cost for the missing accessories, just brings you right back to the original price, so if you relly want them, get them and your no worse off than you would have been.

Second, and this is the part most people seem to miss, this makes it MUCH Easier and CHEAPER for current iPod owners to upgrade or just buy additional iPods.  I already have the extra cables that I need, now I can just buy a new, bigger iPod and not have to buy extra cables that I don’t need, or a case that really isn’t very good anyway.

Some people seem to feel that Apple is forgetting all the long term costumers that have helped them to solidify the Harddrive MP3 market, but I would argue that these latest moves actually benefit these people the most.

Thank You Apple!

Posted by pickme on March 2, 2005 at 8:39 AM (CST)

Apple is right on to sell the unit divorced from the accessories for less. I happen to use the dock and the remote, but I know people who never do.

I think the best way for all of us to get over the buyer’s remorse that comes when we get an iPod a month before the better one comes out for less is to set up a schedule for iPod buying like we do with computers. I am planning on getting my next iPod May of 2006, and then another May of 2008. The highest capacity one at that time is what I’m getting, and whatever comes out after that, so be it.

Posted by leertracy in Los Angeles on March 2, 2005 at 3:50 PM (CST)

I just recently jumped on the iPod waggon and since Jan 05, I’ve purchased a 60-color and 512-shuffle for my own use.  I can’t wait to see what the next generation will be.

Posted by LDRiPod in Redondo Beach on March 3, 2005 at 7:31 PM (CST)

Bought a GOLD mini last week.  Like the color covered it with a Kimono rust colored case from Kyoto.  The basic color doesn’t matter!

Posted by Wolcott in Massachusetts on March 5, 2005 at 2:46 AM (CST)

“It’s not even a case of older hardware being unsupported. ALL of Apple’s iPods are still being supported. Owners of older models need not worry.” By NERDBRAIN

Yep, you’re spot on with that one. Not only Apple hasn’t stopped supporting older hardware, they actually *improved* that hardware’s performance and features. Look at the latest iPod software update!! I was pissed at Apple when they released the 4G because they wouldn’t let 3G owners save on-the-go playlists, or use the “Shuffle Songs” menu item.

We had to wait a while, it’s true, but now, all iPod owners can use those features, originally found only on the 4G and the iPod mini. Many people seem to be forgetting that Apple is playing very nice with this initiative! They aren’t “forgetting” loyal 1G/2G/3G iPod owners, many of which are Mac users, on the contrary!

Posted by Mainyehc in Lisbon, Portugal on March 7, 2005 at 10:20 AM (CST)

wwwwaaaahhhhhh!!!! i just bought the 1st gen iPod Mini last month! i could’ve waited if it’s just a few weeks away.  Dang!

Posted by MiniShuffle in Philippines on March 8, 2005 at 9:42 PM (CST)

At first I was miffed that Apple isn’t including FireWire with the new minis, but….really. It’s not worth all this bellyaching. And since I already have a FireWire cable, I won’t need another one if I decide to upgrade. And if new users want FireWire, they can buy FireWire. It’s not a big deal.

And this so-called “cheapening” of the “luxury” iPod line is ridiculous. Stop being so precious.

Posted by VousDew on March 9, 2005 at 9:07 PM (CST)

There is a lot of talk of Apple coming out with all these new products and some consumers question their marketing decisions, fact is folks 2005 will be the year of the MP3 players by all kinds of OEM’s giving Apple a run for their money, keep you eyes open and your blinders off.

Posted by endrun on March 9, 2005 at 9:25 PM (CST)

I am stil amazed that ANYONE would buy a mini? 5GB? When for 50$ more you can get 30GB?!?!? I am sorry, but “Fashion” does not mean that much to me, I’d rather have 5X the capacity for music! Whenever I see someon hovering over the mini’s, I point this out to them, and they usually say “Oh, I didn’t think of that.” and walk over to the bigger ones. Didn’t think of it?? Amazing….

Posted by Mac'n Fool on March 10, 2005 at 7:57 AM (CST)

iPod’s have been around long enough for people to be buying their second/third model. When I buy a replacement I’m not going to need all the accessories again. I’d rather pay less just for the iPod and choose what accessories I need.

Posted by timfrombrighton in Brighton on March 11, 2005 at 3:33 PM (CST)

So I spend 2 grand on an iMac a while back and I won’t be able to use my new iPod because it doesn’t come with a measly firewire cable? I only bought a new one cos the hard drive on my old one broke and I couldn’t prove the waranty was still valid (even though it was a 40gig click-wheel which didn’t even come out a year ago). I remember when Apple didn’t used to be like Microsoft.    (OUCH)

Posted by Riggy on March 20, 2005 at 6:47 PM (CST)

No matter what you buy, a new, better and cheaper model will come out soon after.

Why should Apple be any different?

I applaud Apple’s move to not include accesseries that may not be used by some people.  Keep in mind Apple never gave you anything for free.  If your iPod came with a ‘free’ dock or fire wire cable you paid for them wheather you know it or not.

Posted by Magmafish in Calgary, Alberta on March 21, 2005 at 2:35 AM (CST)

thats probably because they don’t know its 2nd gen yet!

Posted by Tom Daly in UK on March 27, 2005 at 2:06 PM (CST)

Well, I’m a PC person who hates macs, but I’ve just ordered my iPod mini. The thing is about macintosh is that they excel in making stylish, well designed, easy-to-use but difficult to customise technology. Exactly what I want from a music player, but not from a computer. I love mac computer style (I have my PC desktop set up to look like a mac) but can’t live with its big-brotheresque inflexibility. Why get a 6GB mini instead of a bigger capacity iPod? Why would I want to carry more than 6Gb of music with me at any one time, at the expense of more weight, bulk and expense? (especially if I loose it)

Posted by smoo on April 2, 2005 at 4:09 AM (CST)

Well I agree with some things and I disagree with others. I apreciate apples movement to cheaper as I am a 14 year old middle schooler. I CANT afford a 500 dollar iPod photo and a 250 mini was even a stretch. As far as the cord problem goes I disagree with taking away the power adapter with the Ipod Mini bc I use it a lot when I travel and stuff I would hate the hassel of finding a computer to use to charge my iPod (that is too geeky). And I like the USB bc that is what I use (yes I am a PC user but if i could I would switch to mac but i dont have enough money) but I enjoy the two cords bc I like having the firewire for the adapter and the USB for the computer and I dont wanna buy a nother USB cord for 20 dollars it is enough to buy the stand for 30.

Posted by tenor1991 on April 3, 2005 at 5:55 PM (CDT)