Upgrading to iTunes Plus with a manually managed iPod
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I just upgraded my entire music library to iTunes Plus. My iPod touch still contains all of the old versions of the newly upgraded tracks. I manage my iPod content manually. Is there a quick and easy way to replace the old tracks on the touch with the new “Plus” versions?
A: Unfortunately, this is one of the limitations of managing your iPod content manually rather than using automatic synchronization. In manual management mode, your iPod is treated as a completely separate library with no direct association to the tracks in your iTunes library on your computer. As a result, iTunes doesn’t really have any idea which tracks match up between the devices.
Without switching to automatic sync, which would replace everything on your device, your only solution is going to be to manually transfer these tracks to your iPod touch as you would for any other tracks. Provided the iTunes Plus upgrade did in fact replace the original tracks in your iTunes library, and these are the same versions of the tracks you previously copied to your iPod touch, you should be able to re-transfer them and overwrite the existing tracks.
You can also track down all of your iTunes Plus tracks by creating a Smart Playlist. The key is to looks for 256kbps files with a “Kind” of “Purchased AAC.” You can also further refine this by including a criteria for “Date Added” if you want to ensure you include only recent iTunes Plus tracks, since the date added is updated when your existing tracks are upgraded to iTunes Plus.
You could then transfer these tracks directly from the Smart Playlist onto your iPod touch by just dragging and dropping them over as you normally would.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- More details emerge on Apple Music overhaul
- iPhone tops Time’s list of most influential gadgets
- Kohl’s integrates rewards system with Apple Pay
- Apple hires ex-Nest exec to aid in health initiatives
- Apple loses exclusive ‘iPhone’ trademark in China
- Apple to reveal ‘sweeping changes’ to Apple Music interface at WWDC
- Apple releases fourth developer betas for iOS 9.3.2, tvOS 9.2.1
- Bowers & Wilkins acquired by EVA Automation
- India rejects Apple’s plan to sell used iPhones
- Rumor: Purported iPhone 7 component photo shows headphone jack intact
- August Doorbell Cam
- August Smart Lock HomeKit enabled + Smart Keypad
- ecobee3 HomeKit-enabled smart Wi-Fi thermostat
- Zagg Now Cam
- Yantouch EyE Portable Wireless Speaker
- Netatmo Wind Gauge
- Incipio Stashback for iPhone 6/6s
- Schlage Sense Smart Deadbolt with HomeKit support
- ClamCase ClamCase Pro for iPad mini 4
- Brydge BrydgeMini II Keyboard for iPad mini 4
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 9.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.3
- Opinion: Why Apple needs a dedicated HomeKit app
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)