Upgrading to iTunes Plus with a manually managed iPod
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I just upgraded my entire music library to iTunes Plus. My iPod touch still contains all of the old versions of the newly upgraded tracks. I manage my iPod content manually. Is there a quick and easy way to replace the old tracks on the touch with the new “Plus” versions?
A: Unfortunately, this is one of the limitations of managing your iPod content manually rather than using automatic synchronization. In manual management mode, your iPod is treated as a completely separate library with no direct association to the tracks in your iTunes library on your computer. As a result, iTunes doesn’t really have any idea which tracks match up between the devices.
Without switching to automatic sync, which would replace everything on your device, your only solution is going to be to manually transfer these tracks to your iPod touch as you would for any other tracks. Provided the iTunes Plus upgrade did in fact replace the original tracks in your iTunes library, and these are the same versions of the tracks you previously copied to your iPod touch, you should be able to re-transfer them and overwrite the existing tracks.
You can also track down all of your iTunes Plus tracks by creating a Smart Playlist. The key is to looks for 256kbps files with a “Kind” of “Purchased AAC.” You can also further refine this by including a criteria for “Date Added” if you want to ensure you include only recent iTunes Plus tracks, since the date added is updated when your existing tracks are upgraded to iTunes Plus.
You could then transfer these tracks directly from the Smart Playlist onto your iPod touch by just dragging and dropping them over as you normally would.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Report: Apple’s Jimmy Iovine still has ambitious video plans for Apple Music
- Apple executive talks using AI to boost human memory
- Apple rolling out ‘Today at Apple’ educational courses starting in May
- Smart home device maker iDevices acquired by Hubbell
- Apple delays ‘Carpool Karaoke’ release to ‘later this year’
- Dutch court rules Apple can’t replace broken iPads with refurbished models
- Chinese blog claims Apple is only releasing two iPhone 8 models, no iPhone 7s or 7s Plus
- Apple releases fourth betas of iOS 10.3.2, watchOS 3.2.2, and tvOS 10.2.1
- Images claim to show iPhone 8 prototype with glass back, vertical camera
- Apple works on alternative power sources, new uses for waste heat in Denmark data center
- Advanced Mezger aptX Bluetooth Receiver
- iDevices Wall Switch
- iDevices Wall Outlet
- Koogeek Wi-Fi SmartSocket for Apple HomeKit
- Sony MDR-1000X Wireless Noise-Canceling Headphones
- FiiO i1 Lightning to 3.5mm Headphone Adapter
- Blue Ella Headphones
- Apple iPad (Fifth-Generation)
- AudioQuest NightOwl Carbon Headphones
- ExoLens PRO with Optics by ZEISS Wide-Angle Lens Kit
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10