US/UK iPod compatibility
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I am currently studying and living over in the UK and my parents want to send me a new iPod nano as a Christmas present. I don’t know if it would work over here (in the UK) if it is a US iPod though. I know that iTunes has a UK and a US store, so I don’t know if I could get songs from the UK iTunes to go onto the US iPod if I got one. Also, I didn’t know if there would be other compatibility issues (electrical connections, etc.). I am hopeless when it comes to the different region issues with technology. Any guidance you can give would be very appreciated! Thank you so much for your time and effort.
A: With regards to iTunes Store content, there are NO compatibility issues with different countries on the specific model of iPod. As long as you have a valid iTunes Store account for the country that you are using the iTunes Store from, any content can be stored on any iPod.
In reality, there are no hardware or firmware differences between U.S. and U.K. iPod models, with the possible exception of the volume cap that was placed on some European models.
The only real possible concern is the compatibility of charging/power accessories. However, since the iPod nano does not ship with a power adapter in the box, your only charging option is via your computer’s USB port, which is what many people use anyway. This would have no compatibility issues, since it’s your computer that is providing the power.
Alternatively, there should be numerous local stores that you could pick up an iPod charging accessory, and these simply connect to the Dock Connector on the iPod in the same way the USB cable does (some in fact even use the same USB cable), and are therefore compatible with any model of iPod.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Report: Some third-party repairs ‘bricking’ iPhones with iOS 9
- Report: Apple to bid on NFL Thursday Night Football streaming rights
- Apple to begin taking broken iPhones for trade-in, offer in-store screen protector installation
- Apple ordered to pay $625M to VirnetX in patent case
- Apple Pay reaches 2 million retail locations
- Apple acquires security company LegbaCore
- Zagg to acquire Mophie for $100 million
- Report: iPhone 7 to include flush camera lens, drop rear antenna bands
- Report: iPhone 5se, iPad Air 3 set for March 15 unveil
- Alleged iPad Air 3 drawing shows Smart Connector, four speakers, camera flash
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Urban Armor Gear Trooper for iPhone 6/6s
- NEBO CaseBrite for iPhone 6 Plus/6s Plus
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!