US/UK iPod compatibility
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I am currently studying and living over in the UK and my parents want to send me a new iPod nano as a Christmas present. I don’t know if it would work over here (in the UK) if it is a US iPod though. I know that iTunes has a UK and a US store, so I don’t know if I could get songs from the UK iTunes to go onto the US iPod if I got one. Also, I didn’t know if there would be other compatibility issues (electrical connections, etc.). I am hopeless when it comes to the different region issues with technology. Any guidance you can give would be very appreciated! Thank you so much for your time and effort.
A: With regards to iTunes Store content, there are NO compatibility issues with different countries on the specific model of iPod. As long as you have a valid iTunes Store account for the country that you are using the iTunes Store from, any content can be stored on any iPod.
In reality, there are no hardware or firmware differences between U.S. and U.K. iPod models, with the possible exception of the volume cap that was placed on some European models.
The only real possible concern is the compatibility of charging/power accessories. However, since the iPod nano does not ship with a power adapter in the box, your only charging option is via your computer’s USB port, which is what many people use anyway. This would have no compatibility issues, since it’s your computer that is providing the power.
Alternatively, there should be numerous local stores that you could pick up an iPod charging accessory, and these simply connect to the Dock Connector on the iPod in the same way the USB cable does (some in fact even use the same USB cable), and are therefore compatible with any model of iPod.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Invoxia adds Amazon Alexa to Triby
- Apple provides more details on new Apple Music API
- Apple Music for Android adds music videos, Family Plan support
- Icahn pulls out of Apple over China concerns
- Apple launches CareKit, with four apps debuting today
- Alleged schematics for iPhone 7 ‘Pro’ show up in Japanese magazine
- Nintendo bringing Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing to iOS
- FBI will not disclose San Bernardino iPhone hack
- Notes from Apple’s Q2 2016 earnings call
- Apple Q2 results: $50.6B revenue, 51M iPhones, 10M iPads sold
- August Doorbell Cam
- August Smart Lock HomeKit enabled + Smart Keypad
- ecobee3 HomeKit-enabled smart Wi-Fi thermostat
- Zagg Now Cam
- Yantouch EyE Portable Wireless Speaker
- Netatmo Wind Gauge
- Incipio Stashback for iPhone 6/6s
- Schlage Sense Smart Deadbolt with HomeKit support
- ClamCase ClamCase Pro for iPad mini 4
- Brydge BrydgeMini II Keyboard for iPad mini 4
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 9.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.3
- Opinion: Why Apple needs a dedicated HomeKit app
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)