USB and Firewire capabilities
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
I am planning on getting an iPod for Christmas this year, but have a few concerns about putting music on it. I have an iBook G3 from mid-2001 that is equipped with USB 1.1, not 2.0, so I apparently can’t use the included cable. If I buy the Firewire cable, does this also charge the iPod while loading music?
A: First, a USB 2.0 cable is completely compatible with USB 1.1 - no worries there, except that USB 1.1 can’t charge any iPod.
However, your question about Firewire is increasingly relevant. In the recent past, connectivity options haven’t been much of a problem - especially for Mac iPod users. With Apple’s recent decision to drop Firewire data transfer support on both the iPod nano and yesterday’s 5th Generation iPod, however, we felt it would be worth clarifying the situation for all users:
Here’s a current list of iPod data & charging capabilities:
|iPod Model||USB 1.1||USB2.0||Firewire|
|1st Gen||-||-||Charge & Sync|
|2nd Gen||-||-||Charge & Sync|
|3rd Gen||Sync only||Sync only||Charge & Sync|
|4th Gen||Sync only||Charge & Sync||Charge & Sync|
|Photo||Sync only||Charge & Sync||Charge & Sync|
|5th Gen||Sync only||Charge & Sync||Charge only|
|1G/2G mini||Sync only||Charge & Sync||Charge & Sync|
|nano||Sync only||Charge & Sync||Charge only|
What does this mean for you with respect to current and recent iPods? You can use Firewire for 4th Generation, photo, or mini iPods, transferring data at full speed. You can use the iPod nano or yesterday’s new 5th Generation iPods, but your transfer rate will be much slower than optimal.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple Store down again ahead of new iPad, Product(RED) iPhone launch
- Apple acquires automation app Workflow
- Nintendo updates Super Mario Run, makes more courses available for free play
- Apple confirms iCloud and Apple ID systems have not been breached in response to hacker threat
- Hackers claim to have access to millions of iCloud accounts, demand ransom from Apple
- Apple’s Siri in the running to voice control room functions at Marriott’s Aloft hotels
- Apple releases iTunes 12.6 with new cross-device movie rental feature
- Apple introduces Clips video app
- Apple reveals(RED) iPhone 7, 7 Plus models, doubles storage of iPhone SE
- Apple drops 32GB iPad mini 4, reduces price of 128GB model and discontinues iPad mini 2
- ExoLens PRO with Optics by ZEISS Wide-Angle Lens Kit
- Blue Sadie Headphones
- Circle with Disney Parental Control and Internet Filtering System
- Pioneer Rayz Plus Lightning Connector Earphones
- BEEM United BeMe D200 Lightning Connector Earphones
- Jam Audio JAM Xterior Max Rugged Wireless Bluetooth Speaker
- HiFiMAN Edition S Headphones
- Divoom Timebox Mini Bluetooth Speaker
- iClever BoostSound BTS-09 Bluetooth Speaker
- Soundcast VG1 Bluetooth Speaker
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10