Using AC adapter from older model iPod to charge newer iPod | iLounge Article

Article

Using AC adapter from older model iPod to charge newer iPod

Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.

View the complete Ask iLounge archives...

Q: Can you use the AC adapter from another IPod (3rd Gen w/ Dock) to charge an iPod shuffle?

- Jay

A: No. The iPod shuffle has a USB connector, and is designed to be charged directly from a computer with a powered USB port. Apple also sells an USB AC adapter, in case you don’t have a powered USB port, or if you want to take your iPod shuffle on the road without a laptop to charge it. But other iPod AC adapters won’t work with the shuffle - they have FireWire ports.

Kirk McElhearn is the author of several books including iPod & iTunes Garage. His blog, Kirkville features articles about the iPod, iTunes, Mac OS X and much more.

The most asked question at iLounge.com:

How do I copy content from my iPod/iPhone onto my computer?

Converting DVDs, web video, TV shows and more:

The Complete Guide to iPod, Apple TV and iPhone Video Formats

Converting DVDs, web video, TV shows and more:

The Complete Guide to iPod, iPhone and Apple TV Video Conversion (Mac)

Converting DVDs, web video, TV shows and more:

The Complete Guide to iPod, iPhone and Apple TV Video Conversion (Win)

Best Speakers?

Best Headphones?

Best Case?

Best In-Car Solution?

Best Battery Extender?

Find more answers in the latest publications in our Library. Free downloads developed by the editors of iLounge!

Ask iLounge Archives:

1-24-14: Viewing only downloaded iTunes Match tracks

1-22-14: Splitting purchased content between two iPads

12-13-13: Non-Bluetooth Lightning dock speakers

12-11-13: Shared Apple ID and switching away from iPhone

12-6-13: Syncing multiple iCloud data with a family Mac

Read more recent Ask iLounge articles...

View the complete Ask iLounge archives...

« How to turn off your iPod

Adjusting iPod’s volume for use with external speakers »

Comments

I’m thinking that if you have an Airport Express Base Station, you can plug your shuffle into that for charging. Am I correct?

Posted by dino in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada on February 3, 2005 at 12:37 PM (PDT)

that sounds good to me

Posted by BIGP in Texas on February 5, 2005 at 2:51 PM (PDT)

The link to the 1-19-05 Ask iPodlounge Column Archive opens the 1-7-05 archive.

Posted by Michael Kelly in Chicago, IL on February 6, 2005 at 8:37 AM (PDT)

I have a 20 GB Ipod.  Is it possible to shuffle just a playlist?  Right now when I hit shuffle it goes through my entire libraray (bach and U2 aren’t the best to hear back to back).

Posted by Jbiscuithead on February 6, 2005 at 6:32 PM (PDT)

Jbiscuithead, just turn on shuffle songs/album in the settings then play the playlist you wanna play.

that should work =)

Posted by jijinlim on February 6, 2005 at 9:44 PM (PDT)

What file types take up less space on the 4GB iPod mini?  I want to save space, so I can add more songs. Thanks.

Posted by thashoww in FL on February 7, 2005 at 12:10 PM (PDT)

i am going to buy a new computer and i already own one with my itunes library on it. if i want to add another ituneslibrary on there for my ipod how can i use my ipod with both computers without deleting any of the songs already on my ipod???

Posted by bhaggi13 in NC on February 7, 2005 at 5:09 PM (PDT)

Is it true that the IPOD’s battery runs out after a year or so of use and cannot be charged afterwards?

Posted by dallasmavsfan on February 8, 2005 at 12:33 PM (PDT)

i have apple ipod 40 g and i am a active runner. i run long disatants. my problem is that my ipod freezes 20 to 25 minites into my run . how can i solve this. i talked to idop specialist he sugfgest this sites . he said thier is some 3rs party product that works better for that.

Posted by scott g in springdale on February 8, 2005 at 6:02 PM (PDT)

What does a file with an exclamation point mean?  Is that a corrupt file?

Posted by valsma in PA on February 9, 2005 at 5:57 PM (PDT)

I’m rapidly reaching critical mass on my 40GIG 4th gen ipod. When I have more songs in iTunes than will fit on my iPod, what are some easy ways to organize and de-select certain songs that I don’t want to update on the iPod? (it seems it is easy to select multiple songs or albums, but I haven’t figured how to “uncheck” them).

Posted by daveB on February 10, 2005 at 4:24 AM (PDT)

I am about to purchase an iPod (20 G Unit) from Circuit City.  Just noticed on one of the post an explanation of the way to determine if your iPod is an Apple or HP Unit.  I thought all iPods were Apple….....Is there a difference in quality and price?

Posted by blackhawk in Myrtle Beach on February 10, 2005 at 10:36 AM (PDT)

I have a Apple G4 with an old itunes library I don’t want.
On my ipod I have a library I do want.
How do I get rid of the library off the G4 and transfer my music from the ipod to the G4?

Posted by jamesgbp on February 10, 2005 at 2:35 PM (PDT)

I have an iPod mini.  I’d like to make a number of play lists, let’s call them 1 through 10, each time I plug in the iPod I’d like to delete the current play list on the iPod and then refresh with the next playlist in the series.  Is there an easy way to do this?

Posted by skurko in california on February 10, 2005 at 3:21 PM (PDT)

I just broke my 3gen, 15gig ipod’s hard drive, where can i get a new one.  (I took it apart and pushed on the hd on accident)

Posted by whitej in maine on February 10, 2005 at 4:57 PM (PDT)

I would like to copy some of the songs on my ipod to my friend’s ipod.

I believe you can do this by designating part of the ipod as a hard drive.

Would appreciate specific instructions.

Thanks in advance!

Posted by maywintei in Nebraska on February 11, 2005 at 4:58 PM (PDT)

My Dauter has a 20G IPod and I have a 40G I pod.I already have a
library of songs set up on my computer. Iwould like to move her
songs to my library.I already loaded them on my Ipod but when
it loaded it automatically dumped
my already loaded music and gave me her library.When I plugged into my system it asked if I wanted to restore my playlist but
then it would dump hers back out.
How do I take her library from my I-pod put it in to my library and then putit all back on my I-pod.
I called I-pod support but they told me dueto copyright laws they
couldn’t tell me how to do it just that it could be done and to search out some info. Basically I am using the I-pod as a Hard Disk.

Posted by Huntn01 in US on February 12, 2005 at 12:41 PM (PDT)

first time i downloaded songs to my iPod was from my freinds PC, 1050 songs And it used up almost 32GB of my 40GB iPod. Tow Questions:
1-how can i store these music on my desktop/iTuns or wherever, so that i can restore the iPod and start fresh       (whats “Toast Titanium any ways)
2- which formats are the best and has smallest file

Posted by parsagio in los angeles on February 12, 2005 at 3:22 PM (PDT)

I was trying to add 50 new songs that I downloaded P2P onto itunes, and once I moved them to the itunes folder (through explore), it erased everything in my library with itunes when I opened up the program.  The songs are still on my computer, but is there an easier way to go back to where i had them before/restore my old settings/library without having to start all over?  I had 1100 songs already renamed, rated etc…
Is it possible to connect my ipod and use that as a restore into itunes?  And how?
Also, I apparently do not recall how to import songs properly onto itunes.  Please advise.

Posted by siray333 on February 12, 2005 at 7:15 PM (PDT)

Can I transfer music from other ipod users that show up on my iTunes Screen into my own ipod?

Posted by amj003 on February 13, 2005 at 10:44 AM (PDT)

When I am Attempting to transfer songs to my IPOD i get a message that says “Attempting to copy to disk “BRETT"S IPO” failed. An unknown error occurred (-36)”. and the song does not transfer. What does this mean?

Posted by brett123987 in Canada on February 13, 2005 at 1:26 PM (PDT)

My menu no longer displays.  I can listen to music as I remember the sequence but, I can’t see the menu.  I have tried reset but, it doesn’t work.  It is like the contrast got set too light but, I can’t change it.  Any ideas?

Posted by dtdm on February 14, 2005 at 5:54 AM (PDT)

I have just purchased a 60 gig photo.
I presently have a mini ipod on my computer complete with itunes and my playlist.
I would like to transfer these songs onto my new 60 gig ipod, but commence a new itunes, separate from the original.
How do I achieve this.
I will give my mini to my daughter, can she use my original itunes, deleting my old music, or will I then lose it on my 60 gig one.

Posted by 1947redros on August 23, 2005 at 12:02 AM (PDT)