Using Apple TV with different iTunes accounts
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I recently purchased a new Apple TV. My partner and I each have separate iTunes accounts and separate computers. Unlike the Apple Remote app, which supports adding computers with or without Home Sharing, the Apple TV seems to only connect to computers via Home Sharing. Is there a way to connect the Apple TV to both computers? Signing in and out with different accounts is not very convenient, particularly when I just want to stream music and can otherwise leave the TV off and use the Remote app.
A: While there’s no way to have the Apple TV connect to more than one Home Sharing account, it’s important to understand that the iTunes Store account used for Home Sharing does not have to be the same as the account used to purchase content. In fact, it doesn’t have to match any of the accounts that you’re using for your iTunes libraries. Basically, other than being an iTunes Store account, there’s no correlation between the account you use for Home Sharing and the account you use to purchase content from the iTunes Store. Further, once Home Sharing is setup, any authorized content can be accessed over the home network, regardless of which account it was purchased with, as long as both computers are authorized to play that content.
This means that you and your partner can setup home sharing between your iTunes libraries and your Apple TV using either one of your iTunes Store accounts, or if you like simply setup a third iTunes Store account just for Home Sharing. The Apple TV will stream content from either iTunes library based on what those computers are authorized to play, even from multiple iTunes Store accounts, regardless of the Home Sharing account that is being used.
Keep in mind that you can be logged in to the Apple TV with one iTunes Store account for actually renting content and use a completely different account for Home Sharing. These are setup in two separate locations: The iTunes Store account is under Settings, General and the Home Sharing account is under Settings, Computers. If you rent content directly on the Apple TV, you must remain logged into the appropriate iTunes Store account to access that content, but again this has nothing to do with which account you use for Home Sharing.
For more information, see Fifteen New Details On The Second-Generation Apple TV.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Automatic releases new Automatic Lite version of car monitoring accessory
- Apple releases fourth tvOS 10.0.1 beta
- iOS dev finds unimplemented one-handed keyboard in iOS code
- Apple sends out press invites for ‘Hello Again’ Oct. 27 Mac event
- Apple releases fifth beta of iOS 10.1 to developers
- Apple patners with builders to include HomeKit-enabled devices in new homes
- Report about Apple Pay in Japan hints at Oct. 25 release for iOS 10.1
- Apple Pay adds 20+ new U.S. banks and credit unions, MBNA Canada coming ‘mid-2017’
- Misfit launches Phase smartwatch
- ecobee releases ecobee3 lite HomeKit-enabled Smart Thermostat
- Incase Icon, Pop, and Textured Snap for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Philips Hue Motion Sensor
- Bowers & Wilkins P9 Signature Headphones
- Tech Armor FlexProtect and Shock Flex for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- SwitchEasy Flash and Fleur for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Blue Microphones Raspberry Mobile Microphone
- Incipio Haven for iPhone 7 and Reprieve Sport for iPhone 7 Plus
- Mophie Hold Force Magnetic Case System for iPhone 7
- Speck Presidio and Tech21 Evo Tactical for iPhone 7
- Belkin Lightning Audio + Charge Rockstar
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps