Using Apple TV with different iTunes accounts
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I recently purchased a new Apple TV. My partner and I each have separate iTunes accounts and separate computers. Unlike the Apple Remote app, which supports adding computers with or without Home Sharing, the Apple TV seems to only connect to computers via Home Sharing. Is there a way to connect the Apple TV to both computers? Signing in and out with different accounts is not very convenient, particularly when I just want to stream music and can otherwise leave the TV off and use the Remote app.
A: While there’s no way to have the Apple TV connect to more than one Home Sharing account, it’s important to understand that the iTunes Store account used for Home Sharing does not have to be the same as the account used to purchase content. In fact, it doesn’t have to match any of the accounts that you’re using for your iTunes libraries. Basically, other than being an iTunes Store account, there’s no correlation between the account you use for Home Sharing and the account you use to purchase content from the iTunes Store. Further, once Home Sharing is setup, any authorized content can be accessed over the home network, regardless of which account it was purchased with, as long as both computers are authorized to play that content.
This means that you and your partner can setup home sharing between your iTunes libraries and your Apple TV using either one of your iTunes Store accounts, or if you like simply setup a third iTunes Store account just for Home Sharing. The Apple TV will stream content from either iTunes library based on what those computers are authorized to play, even from multiple iTunes Store accounts, regardless of the Home Sharing account that is being used.
Keep in mind that you can be logged in to the Apple TV with one iTunes Store account for actually renting content and use a completely different account for Home Sharing. These are setup in two separate locations: The iTunes Store account is under Settings, General and the Home Sharing account is under Settings, Computers. If you rent content directly on the Apple TV, you must remain logged into the appropriate iTunes Store account to access that content, but again this has nothing to do with which account you use for Home Sharing.
For more information, see Fifteen New Details On The Second-Generation Apple TV.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Sonos speakers available on Apple’s online store today, in Apple Stores next month
- Apple lacks lobbying power in fight with EU
- Apple to offer ‘Spoken Editions’ of written content from top publishers
- Apple working to turn HealthKit into diagnosis tool
- Hackers expose security flaw in iOS 10’s local backups
- Apple releases iOS 10.0.2 to fix headphone controls, iCloud Photo Library
- Report: Apple’s Siri home hub has reached the prototype stage
- Apple acquires machine learning company Tuplejump
- Apple releases iOS 10.1 public beta
- iOS 10.1 beta adds ‘Portrait’ Depth of Field effect
- Mass Fidelity Core Bluetooth Speaker
- Thought Out Simplex Tablet iPad Stand
- SmartX Galaxy ZEGA Starter Kit
- Apple iPhone 7 Plus Leather Case
- Apple Watch Series 2
- iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus
- Twelve South HiRise 2 for iPhone + iPad
- Nomad Pod Pro for iPhone and Apple Watch
- Sevenhugs hugOne Sleep Monitoring System
- Kanex GoPower Watch Portable Battery for Apple Watch
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps