Using apps on new iPod touch
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I own a second-generation iPod touch and I’m thinking about upgrading to a third-generation model. Will I be able to use all the apps I’ve purchased for the 2G touch with the 3G touch without paying for them again? In order to do so, would I first have to delete them from my 2G touch?
A: You can use your purchased apps on any number of iPhone or iPod touch devices that are synchronized to one of your authorized computers. When upgrading to a new iPod touch or iPhone, you simply need to connect the new device to your iTunes library and set it up as you normally would. Any applications that you have in your iTunes library can be automatically synced to the new device.
Note that by default, this only includes the applications themselves and not your actual application data. However, if you’re replacing your old iPod touch with the new one, you can simply restore the backup from your old iPod touch via iTunes, and in fact iTunes will prompt you to do this when you first connect the new iPod touch:
Restoring the backup from your existing iPod touch will also restore all of your sync settings in iTunes, so this should set up your new 3G iPod touch to behave identically to the way your old iPod touch was configured.
Note that you do not need to remove the applications from your existing iPod touch before syncing them to the new device. There is no limit on the number of iPod or iPhone devices that can be authorized for a given iTunes Store account and the iTunes Store does not actually keep track of which devices you have your apps installed on. Note that you can only have content and apps from up to five different iTunes Store accounts stored on a given device, however.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Report: Some third-party repairs ‘bricking’ iPhones with iOS 9
- Report: Apple to bid on NFL Thursday Night Football streaming rights
- Apple to begin taking broken iPhones for trade-in, offer in-store screen protector installation
- Apple ordered to pay $625M to VirnetX in patent case
- Apple Pay reaches 2 million retail locations
- Apple acquires security company LegbaCore
- Zagg to acquire Mophie for $100 million
- Report: iPhone 7 to include flush camera lens, drop rear antenna bands
- Report: iPhone 5se, iPad Air 3 set for March 15 unveil
- Alleged iPad Air 3 drawing shows Smart Connector, four speakers, camera flash
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Urban Armor Gear Trooper for iPhone 6/6s
- NEBO CaseBrite for iPhone 6 Plus/6s Plus
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!