Using different bitrates for computer vs. iPod | iLounge Article

Article

Using different bitrates for computer vs. iPod

Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.

View the complete Ask iLounge archives...

Q: I like my songs to have a very high bitrate on my computer, so when I burn a compilation of music I get the best possible sound quality. But when listening with the iPod earbuds, I do not need this quality, yet I do not want to convert my songs to a different bitrate. In Windows Media Player they allow you to sync a device and change the bitrate of a song as you transfer it from your computer to the audio player. Is there software out there that can match this for my iPod?

- Jacob

A: This feature is currently available only for the iPod shuffle, and not for other iPod models. For now, the only solution is to convert your music to a lower bit rate, saving the high bit rate copies of songs, then create playlists just for the iPod that you then sync either manually or automatically (by selecting just those playlists).

Kirk McElhearn is the author of several books including iPod & iTunes Garage. His blog, Kirkville features articles about the iPod, iTunes, Mac OS X and much more.

The most asked question at iLounge.com:

How do I copy content from my iPod/iPhone onto my computer?

Converting DVDs, web video, TV shows and more:

The Complete Guide to iPod, Apple TV and iPhone Video Formats

Converting DVDs, web video, TV shows and more:

The Complete Guide to iPod, iPhone and Apple TV Video Conversion (Mac)

Converting DVDs, web video, TV shows and more:

The Complete Guide to iPod, iPhone and Apple TV Video Conversion (Win)

Best Speakers?

Best Headphones?

Best Case?

Best In-Car Solution?

Best Battery Extender?

Find more answers in the latest publications in our Library. Free downloads developed by the editors of iLounge!

Ask iLounge Archives:

1-24-14: Viewing only downloaded iTunes Match tracks

1-22-14: Splitting purchased content between two iPads

12-13-13: Non-Bluetooth Lightning dock speakers

12-11-13: Shared Apple ID and switching away from iPhone

12-6-13: Syncing multiple iCloud data with a family Mac

Read more recent Ask iLounge articles...

View the complete Ask iLounge archives...

« iPods, USB 1 and 2 compatibility, what do I need?

Multiple language iPod User Guides »

Comments

To Matt: I basically did the same thing you’re planning to do (buy a small computer as a music hub), so I have to ask - why not get a Mac Mini instead of a Windows box? Tiny, quiet - add an external drive (I got the Lacie 250GB firewire) and it’s a perfect music server.

FWIW, I’m a Windows guy otherwise - this is my first Mac (The Mini is networked to my 3 Windows machines). It’s just surprising to hear a Mac guy planning to buy a Windows box for something the Mac Mini is perfect for.

Posted by Fangorn in Texas on April 14, 2005 at 11:01 AM (PDT)

After I hooked up my iPod to this comp. it transferred a few songs and then said it no longer recognised it. Now I can’t get to music on my iPod. It says there are no songs but half the gigs are used. My songs only work if my iPod is hooked up to the comp. even though iTunes said it doesn’t recognise my iPod. I tried the Updater but it doesn’t work and I tried manually resetting it but that didn’t work either. What else can I do?

Posted by Grnidgoddss on April 14, 2005 at 12:33 PM (PDT)

Can I use my iPod Mini 2nd Generation to record live music with an external microphone?  If so, what would the quality be like?  And, would I be able to load the recorded file onto my PC?

Posted by bam52 on April 15, 2005 at 9:45 AM (PDT)

Regarding question 1 : your iPod mini (2G) will charge when hooked to a USB1 port. No problem with that at all. At least mine does when connected to my iBook G3/900’s USB1 port.

Posted by SbM on April 15, 2005 at 3:31 PM (PDT)

For the past couple of day, I have not been able to ge the CD track inforamtion.  All I get is the following message: “CDD Error. HTTP processing error” Any idea what might be wrong?

Posted by MNM on April 15, 2005 at 5:13 PM (PDT)

My son is using his 15G iPod on my mac. He is switching to a PC - how can we transfer the music library (approx 2,000 songs) and iPod to his new PC?

Posted by SandiF on April 16, 2005 at 12:24 PM (PDT)

I’ve just finished converting all my songs in iTunes into MP3s so I can burn them to listen to in the car.  I set iTunes to import all songs as MP3s, but when I tried to rip one, after four hours it had only ripped three tracks (a total of twelve minutes of playing time).  Are MP3s supposed to take this long, or am I doing something wrong?

Posted by psiren on April 17, 2005 at 3:10 AM (PDT)

I was told that I can temporarily download my ipod music onto your site because my ipod has to be reprogrammed and can retrieve my music onto my mini ipod later. How can I do this?

Posted by harvey51 on April 17, 2005 at 11:53 AM (PDT)

How can I burn songs I purchase from iTunes store to a CD?

Posted by jshafer246 on April 17, 2005 at 1:45 PM (PDT)

Is there a way that all files can be deleted all at once?

Posted by JuliusCes on April 17, 2005 at 10:19 PM (PDT)

What should i do if my ipod was stolen and it is under warranty? i know that answer is probally tuff #### but any inside advice i would appreciate! Thanks to all that respond

Posted by BIGmeltz on April 18, 2005 at 1:33 AM (PDT)

is it possible to convert locked wma files to mp3 without burning them to a cd?

Posted by onlymusicmatters on April 18, 2005 at 2:15 PM (PDT)

A reviewer claims that he packed 500 songs into 200mb of his 4 gb ipod mini using the “optional apple compressor” that he “bought”. Pardon my ignorance but what is he talking about!!!!!!!!!!!. I recently bought the ipod mini and have manged to pack only 350 songs into 2 gb. Please help!!!!!!!!! Thanks.

Posted by mimlailmnim on April 20, 2005 at 8:56 AM (PDT)

Is there a doo-dad that can easily play my iPod not only on my car stereo but also on my home stereo or boom box? Before I spend $50 to $100 for a Monster adapter for my car, will it also work on my home stereo tuner? Thanks.

Posted by jeffreyfister on April 22, 2005 at 7:29 AM (PDT)

My Ipod photo’s screen is frozen and I can’t switch it off or anything!!! Is there anyway to switch it off without breaking it open or waiting for the battery to run down??

Posted by Garth007 on April 28, 2005 at 10:03 AM (PDT)

I bought my wife a 4gb mini. I have setup a seperate itunes interface for her, but when i sync up, the mini will not pick up the smartlists that we made.It will however take any new music. Thanks for the help Alan T

Posted by fitdad on May 1, 2005 at 7:44 PM (PDT)

my ipod shuffle battery is not charging even when its plug into the UBS port of a desktop that is active.

Posted by icycl on May 3, 2005 at 12:35 AM (PDT)

Yes my computer stopped recognizing my ipod earlier today, the ipod has no charge and will not charge. It cannot be seen by the ipod updater software and my computer thinks it’s a generic USB device with no driver. Weird. It was working fine and then…
Anybody else have this problem?

Posted by matthewcrow on May 8, 2005 at 6:56 PM (PDT)