Using GPS car kit with Bluetooth stereo
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I recently purchased the TomTom app for the iPhone 4 and I am interested in picking up their car kit when and if it comes out. I am also interested in getting a Bluetooth adapter for my current car stereo which will allow me to stream my audio directly from my phone without the need for wires. If I have my iPhone connected to the TomTom car kit will I simultaneously be able to stream my music with my Bluetooth adapter over my car stereo?
A: This depends somewhat on how you plan to use the audio features on the TomTom Car Kit. The iPhone actually makes two different audio connections to the TomTom Kit: Music, stereo audio and voice guidance passes through the Dock Connector by default while the kit pairs with the iPhone over Bluetooth to be used as a speakerphone for phone calls. The Bluetooth pairing process is not mandatory so you can easily just choose to not pair your iPhone and the TomTom Car Kit together and the iPhone will basically ignore the Bluetooth on the car kit and use whatever other Bluetooth device you’ve paired with it instead.
Further, if you pair with a stereo A2DP Bluetooth device rather than a monaural phone headset then you will be able to send all of the audio from the iPhone out to your stereo instead of sending it through the Dock Connector on the car kit, including voice navigation instructions. When paired with an active A2DP device the iPod app on your iPhone displays an extra button by the volume control allowing you to choose where you want to send your audio to, allowing you to select either your Bluetooth stereo adapter or the Dock Connector in this case.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- iDevices adds dynamic automation, enhanced scheduling to ‘Connected’ app for HomeKit
- Apple reports that iOS 10.2.1 significantly reduces unexpected iPhone 6s shutdown issues
- Mobiata announces sunset of FlightTrack 5 and FlightBoard apps
- Harman announces first Wireless CarPlay implementation
- Report: Apple still considering several possible wireless charging solutions for ‘iPhone 8’
- Mini Metro adds Endless Mode
- Apple issues statement opposing Trump administration’s rescission of transgender rights
- ResearchKit study conducted using Apple Watch reveals new insights into seizures
- Instagram adds ability to include up to 10 photos or videos in a single post
- Facebook’s talks with MLB raise possibility that game streams could come to Apple TV
- PureGear PureSwitch HomeKit-enabled Wireless Smart Plug
- 1More Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones
- Revogi Smart Lightbulb, Smart Lightstrip, Smart Candle + Smart Meter Plug
- Audeze iSine10 In-Ear Headphones
- MOCACARE MOCACuff Connected Blood Pressure Monitor
- Apple AirPods
- Elgato Eve Motion
- Olloclip Core Lens Set for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Logitech Pop Home Switch Starter Pack
- Elgato Eve Light Switch
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10