Using GPS car kit with Bluetooth stereo
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I recently purchased the TomTom app for the iPhone 4 and I am interested in picking up their car kit when and if it comes out. I am also interested in getting a Bluetooth adapter for my current car stereo which will allow me to stream my audio directly from my phone without the need for wires. If I have my iPhone connected to the TomTom car kit will I simultaneously be able to stream my music with my Bluetooth adapter over my car stereo?
A: This depends somewhat on how you plan to use the audio features on the TomTom Car Kit. The iPhone actually makes two different audio connections to the TomTom Kit: Music, stereo audio and voice guidance passes through the Dock Connector by default while the kit pairs with the iPhone over Bluetooth to be used as a speakerphone for phone calls. The Bluetooth pairing process is not mandatory so you can easily just choose to not pair your iPhone and the TomTom Car Kit together and the iPhone will basically ignore the Bluetooth on the car kit and use whatever other Bluetooth device you’ve paired with it instead.
Further, if you pair with a stereo A2DP Bluetooth device rather than a monaural phone headset then you will be able to send all of the audio from the iPhone out to your stereo instead of sending it through the Dock Connector on the car kit, including voice navigation instructions. When paired with an active A2DP device the iPod app on your iPhone displays an extra button by the volume control allowing you to choose where you want to send your audio to, allowing you to select either your Bluetooth stereo adapter or the Dock Connector in this case.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple’s new ‘Echo rival’ may feature a camera
- Apple ‘working rapidly’ to extend Apple Pay to more countries
- Report: Apple’s Siri-based Amazon Echo competitor will be a new Apple TV
- Report: Apple SVP Eddy Cue proposed bid to buy Time Warner
- Beta testing for Pokémon GO begins in the U.S.
- Apple’s plan to open stores in India hits a snag (Update: India’s finance minister ratifies ruling)
- Apple looking into charging stations for electric cars
- Apple hires hint at improvements in encryption, health monitoring
- Hyundai adds CarPlay support to more vehicles
- Plaintiffs file new motion to keep ‘Error 53’ Touch ID lawsuit alive
- OtterBox Symmetry Series Hybrid Case for 12.9” iPad Pro
- Logitech Logi BASE Charging Stand for iPad Pro
- Twelve South TimePorter for Apple Watch
- August Doorbell Cam
- August Smart Lock HomeKit enabled + Smart Keypad
- ecobee3 HomeKit-enabled smart Wi-Fi thermostat
- Zagg Now Cam
- Yantouch EyE Portable Wireless Speaker
- Netatmo Wind Gauge
- Incipio Stashback for iPhone 6/6s
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 9.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.3
- Opinion: Why Apple needs a dedicated HomeKit app
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)