Using iPod for old Mac-to-new Mac file transfers
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: Can I use my 40 GB iPod to transfer files between my Macs at home and at the office? The office Mac is running Mac OS 9.2.2 and the home PowerBook is running Mac OS X 10.3.9.
The office Mac has a copy of iTunes 2.0.4 on it that I never use, and the home one is up-to-date (iTunes 4.8). I’ve read about enabling FireWire drive usage, but I wonder about the compatibility of the different versions of iTunes under different OSs.
A: If you only want to transfer files, then you’ll have no problem. Open the iPod preferences for your iPod and check Enable Disk Use. You should uncheck “Open iTunes when this iPod is Attached,” to prevent the Mac OS 9 version of iTunes from opening and overwriting your music. But you’ll be able to copy files to and from the iPod easily like this.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- iFixit posts teardown of the new iPad
- Unboxing the new 9.7-inch iPad
- MLB.com At Bat and NHL now allow users to personalize Home Screen icons
- Apple pulls over-the-air iOS 10.3 update for iPhone 5, 5c; iOS 10.3.2 seems to end support for them
- Supplier Responsibility Report, recent hires hint at Project Titan research
- Apple now rejecting apps with references to price in their name
- Apple Pay now live in Taiwan
- Apple releases iOS 10.3.2 beta to developers
- Rumor: Apple may add cellular capability to next Apple Watch, create USB-C/Lightning hybrid
- Urbanears launches new lineup of Wi-Fi Connected Speakers
- AudioQuest NightOwl Carbon Headphones
- ExoLens PRO with Optics by ZEISS Wide-Angle Lens Kit
- Blue Sadie Headphones
- Circle with Disney Parental Control and Internet Filtering System
- Pioneer Rayz Plus Lightning Connector Earphones
- BEEM United BeMe D200 Lightning Connector Earphones
- Jam Audio JAM Xterior Max Rugged Wireless Bluetooth Speaker
- HiFiMAN Edition S Headphones
- Divoom Timebox Mini Bluetooth Speaker
- iClever BoostSound BTS-09 Bluetooth Speaker
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10