Using iPod mini with USB 1.1 | iLounge Article

Article

Using iPod mini with USB 1.1

By Kirk McElhearn

Contributing Editor
Published: Thursday, January 27, 2005
Articles Categories: Ask iLounge, Mac, Windows

Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.

View the complete Ask iLounge archives...

Q: I have ordered an iPod mini, but the Apple web site says that it requires USB 2.0. I only have USB 1.1. Will the iPod mini still work?

- Josh

A: Yes, it will work, but it will take a fair bit longer for you to transfer your music. You’ll probably transfer a lot of music at first, then add songs gradually after that. So make sure you charge your iPod mini completely before the first transfer. After that, the difference in time won’t bother you much, unless you replace a lot of music, or transfer lots of new songs.

Kirk McElhearn is the author of several books including iPod & iTunes Garage. His blog, Kirkville features articles about the iPod, iTunes, Mac OS X and much more.

The most asked question at iLounge.com:

How do I copy content from my iPod/iPhone onto my computer?

Converting DVDs, web video, TV shows and more:

The Complete Guide to iPod, Apple TV and iPhone Video Formats

Converting DVDs, web video, TV shows and more:

The Complete Guide to iPod, iPhone and Apple TV Video Conversion (Mac)

Converting DVDs, web video, TV shows and more:

The Complete Guide to iPod, iPhone and Apple TV Video Conversion (Win)

Best Speakers?

Best Headphones?

Best Case?

Best In-Car Solution?

Best Battery Extender?

Find more answers in the latest publications in our Library. Free downloads developed by the editors of iLounge!

Ask iLounge Archives:

1-24-14: Viewing only downloaded iTunes Match tracks

1-22-14: Splitting purchased content between two iPads

12-13-13: Non-Bluetooth Lightning dock speakers

12-11-13: Shared Apple ID and switching away from iPhone

12-6-13: Syncing multiple iCloud data with a family Mac

Read more recent Ask iLounge articles...

View the complete Ask iLounge archives...

« Copy music from iPod to computer

Mac mini Xbench Comparative Performance Benchmarks »

Comments

In regards to the sound check question. I found that if you listen to music that itself changes volume half way through. Something like The Mars Volta for instance, it will regulate the sound spikes. making the “quite” guitar playing sections the same volume as when the drums and rest of the band kicks in. This really distorts the experience since your expecting to rock out and then it adjusts the volune down. I am pretty sure this was caused by this option since unchecking it fixed the fluxation. Snoogans

Posted by graphicgeek in Utica, NY on January 28, 2005 at 6:14 AM (PDT)

Every now and then, My click wheel on my 4G 20gig will not respond.  It seems to be tempermental.  And then it will return to normal

Posted by fredrap in USA on January 28, 2005 at 4:58 PM (PDT)

I love my ipod and I have over 10 gig already on it. I tried to put more music on it recently but the ipod doesn’t act like it’s connected. The music is just sitting in my library waiting to be transferred. Why is my ipod not saying “do not disconnect”? The battery charges while it’s hooked up, but it doesn’t realize it’s connected I guess.

Posted by Kreis in Maryland on January 28, 2005 at 8:37 PM (PDT)

I have a 20G iPod and a DLO car trasmitter and have been looking for a skin that I can be used with the mount and charger without taking off the skin to place it in the mount when I’m in my car. I have found no product that will adhere to my needs.

Any Suggestions or products that will work?

Posted by Andrew7830 on January 29, 2005 at 8:52 AM (PDT)

my daughter and i both have mini ipods and are using the same itunes software on a hp pc with xp windows. the music on her mini is perfect.  however, the same songs on my mini sound awful, loud and distorted guitar and drum tracks, and barely discernible vox and accessory instruments.  also the sound quality on my mini is very echoey and reverby.  is my mini ipod bad?

Posted by bobstan on January 31, 2005 at 1:03 PM (PDT)

First, reset all settings on the mini to default and see if that fixes it.

Posted by Clev in Ottawa on January 31, 2005 at 1:22 PM (PDT)

I would like to hook my ipod up to a Bose Wave radio/CD play to play thru it.  Can this be done?  What accessories needed?

Posted by wxz on January 31, 2005 at 4:23 PM (PDT)

On my itunes, when i click on my little ipod icon the screen is gray,well down by where it says how meny gb you used up theres a lil lock symbl by it and i cant do anything like move around my music. how do iget the lock symbl gone?????????

Posted by Dosty on January 31, 2005 at 5:18 PM (PDT)

AHHH, im going crazy, i hear all these rumors about how apple is thinking about making cell phone i-pods. IS THIS TRUE, or even possible!??? someone plzz answer me, i’d appreciate it,

Posted by gadgetGEEK on January 31, 2005 at 8:44 PM (PDT)

If I buy an IPOD in the US can I use it and register it in the UK

Posted by patricia on February 1, 2005 at 7:01 AM (PDT)

Why is it that i bought a 20GB ipod but i looked into its settings and it says it’s capacity is only 18.5GB? i mean geez, 1.5 gigs is like 200-300 songs. what’s the deal? if they’re not gonna make it full 20 dont sell it as a full 20….

Posted by ijeremy on February 1, 2005 at 7:02 PM (PDT)

when I put my ipod in my dock with the dock connected to a d.i.y installed firewire card it either shuts down my computer or does nothing any IDEA’S??????????????

Posted by Scottydoo43244 in Dublin on February 2, 2005 at 10:39 AM (PDT)

How much does it cost to download songs from itunes? Somebody please answer so i can get my ipod!

Posted by Magspice on February 2, 2005 at 3:27 PM (PDT)

Does anybody now how much each song from itunes costs?

Posted by Magspice on February 2, 2005 at 3:29 PM (PDT)

is there anyway to listen to whole albums in a shuffle mode i.e. instead of listening to 3 bob dylan albums in a row how do I shuffle whole albums?

Posted by chinadog on February 2, 2005 at 7:32 PM (PDT)

is there a way that i can format my ipod so i can listen to live albums insted of there being a slight pause in between songs? its real ###### when im listening to the wall and there is a pause in between every song.

Posted by yogibear in ca on February 3, 2005 at 10:01 AM (PDT)

Can someone please help me. I have a 4G-40gig and every other week, my computer is not regonizing my ipod and I have to reset it in order to transfer my CD’s and I keep losing all the music thats on my ipod. Is there anyway to get my ipod & computer on the same page. I’m getting tired of re-entering all my CD’s. Help!!

Posted by mmalone4270 on February 4, 2005 at 1:35 PM (PDT)

If I load music from someone elses itunes library onto my ipod how do I load that music onto my own itunes library?

Posted by kid on February 4, 2005 at 8:15 PM (PDT)

hey everyone .. I’ve got my second ipod now but it still wont work .. when I plug my ipod in my pc (windows xp home ) it starts itunes and then starts inporting a few songs about 3 and he just quits with inporting .. Then itunes give me the message ‘‘kopying to the disk failled unknown error -69. so i cant inport songs anymore PLS PLS HELP i really thank u if u send me a message back pls HELP

Posted by anatjuh in netherlands on February 5, 2005 at 6:49 AM (PDT)

Is there a program that will allow me to download basic text files to the iPod from a Windows system (IBM)?

Daron

Posted by D_K_R on February 5, 2005 at 10:02 AM (PDT)

Hi I bought a 2nd hand 80 gb ipod with 17000 songs on it .  1/2 am not interested in: Hip Hop is not my scene!

I also have an Imac .

I want to erase 50% of the music on the ipod and reload with bought tunes from I tune and Cds that I own
Is it possible to do this please?

How!

Kind regards Giles

Posted by baskervilleboz on December 10, 2007 at 2:16 PM (PDT)