Video playback from the iPhone
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: Does the iPhone play video through it’s dock connector? It appears the iPhone dock is an audio only output. Can I place the iPhone in the Universal Dock to play videos through either it’s composite or s-video connector? Does video play out of the headset port like in the iPod video?
Unfortunately, the iPhone does not offer any kind of video output capabilities at all, through either the Dock Connector or the headphone port.
Connecting video playback accessories to the Dock Connector port will generally provide audio playback, but no video output as the iPhone simply does not provide a signal through this port.
With regards to the headphone port, the third connector is actually used for the iPhone’s headset microphone input, and therefore connecting a standard iPod video cable to a TV would not only provide no video output, but in fact could conceivably damage the iPhone, since the yellow lead would be mapped to the microphone input, rather than a video output.
Whether this feature has been permanently eliminated, or whether it will be added in a future firmware update is uncertain at this point. However, it is important to note that the iPhone has been designed as a multi-purpose device with an emphasis on phone and Internet features, and therefore this may be an omission based on the nature of the device itself. Whether or not a next-generation iPod will continue to provide this capability is equally uncertain, but the feature set of the iPhone should probably not be taken as any indication.
The fifth-generation iPod, of course, continues to support video output through either the Dock Connector or the headphone port, and the Apple TV is certainly an option if you will frequently be watching videos on a TV. Both of these devices provide significantly greater storage capacity than the iPhone, and all will synchronize video playback tracking information such as last played time, play count, and even bookmarked playback position between all three devices via iTunes.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- CBS CEO Moonves notes Apple talks have stopped
- Apple will source iPhone 7 ‘A10’ CPU solely from TSMC
- Federal bill aims to take regulatory power for phone encryption out of state hands
- Job post shows Apple emphasizing new complications, faces for Apple Watch
- New comments hint at forthcoming streaming TV service from Apple
- Apple Music available on Sonos starting today
- Screen protector installation now available at Apple Stores
- Russia mulling tax increase on App Store purchases, other Apple services
- Lawyers threaten to sue Apple over ‘Error 53’ codes disabling iPhones
- Apple releases iOS 9.3 beta 3, tvOS 9.2 beta 3, watchOS 2.2 beta 3 to developers
- Vicks SmartTemp Wireless Smartphone Thermometer
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Urban Armor Gear Trooper for iPhone 6/6s
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!