Video Playlists on the iPad
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: Is there any current way to view a smart video playlist on the iPad 2? I have smart playlist that contains videos from podcasts and TV shows (animated shorts and Sesame Street segments) that I use to play in the car for my toddler. It uploads the videos and changes them every time I sync so the content stays fresh. However, I can’t view all of the content shuffled, only by podcast or show. I’ve looked, and I can’t seem to find an app that would simply use my smart playlist so I can quickly play and randomize. Do anyone know of an alternative?
A: Video playlists do not appear in the Videos app on the iPad, but if you’re still running iOS 4.x or earlier, you can access your video playlists through the iPod app on your device. Unfortunately, in iOS 5 Apple removed this capability when it redesigned the iPod app and rebranded it Music—the video playlists will oddly still appear in the Music app, but they won’t display any non-audio content contained in them.
Fortunately, there is a third-party app Video Playlist ($2), that can be used to sort of work around this, although it’s not nearly as efficient as using a Smart Playlist directly. What the Video Playlist app allows you to do is to import videos from a Smart Playlist or normal Playlist and then play them back in sequence from directly within the app. While you would need to update the playlist manually whenever you load the app, you can do this pretty quickly from your existing Smart Playlist, and the app provides options for both shuffling videos randomly or repeating the playlist. A free, ad-supported version, Video Playlist Lite is also available.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Notes from Apple’s Q4 2016 earnings call
- Apple Q4 2016: $46.9B revenue, 45.5M iPhones + 9.2M iPads sold
- Apple reportedly hiring engineers from BlackBerry, developing car operating system in Canada
- Apple releases PowerBeats3 Wireless earphones
- Apple Pay launch in Japan encounters major problems
- Apple releases iOS 10.1, tvOS 10.0.1, watchOS 3.1
- New details about Apple Watch Nike+ exclusives, availability
- Apple’s website hints at possible Apple Pay launch in Germany
- ConnectSense Smart Outlet adds power monitoring, reduces price
- Automatic releases new Automatic Lite version of car monitoring accessory
- Bowers & Wilkins P3 Series 2 Headphones
- Incase Icon, Pop, and Textured Snap for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Philips Hue Motion Sensor
- Bowers & Wilkins P9 Signature Headphones
- Tech Armor FlexProtect and Shock Flex for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- SwitchEasy Flash and Fleur for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Blue Microphones Raspberry Mobile Microphone
- Incipio Haven for iPhone 7 and Reprieve Sport for iPhone 7 Plus
- Mophie Hold Force Magnetic Case System for iPhone 7
- Speck Presidio and Tech21 Evo Tactical for iPhone 7
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps