Video Playlists on the iPad
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: Is there any current way to view a smart video playlist on the iPad 2? I have smart playlist that contains videos from podcasts and TV shows (animated shorts and Sesame Street segments) that I use to play in the car for my toddler. It uploads the videos and changes them every time I sync so the content stays fresh. However, I can’t view all of the content shuffled, only by podcast or show. I’ve looked, and I can’t seem to find an app that would simply use my smart playlist so I can quickly play and randomize. Do anyone know of an alternative?
A: Video playlists do not appear in the Videos app on the iPad, but if you’re still running iOS 4.x or earlier, you can access your video playlists through the iPod app on your device. Unfortunately, in iOS 5 Apple removed this capability when it redesigned the iPod app and rebranded it Music—the video playlists will oddly still appear in the Music app, but they won’t display any non-audio content contained in them.
Fortunately, there is a third-party app Video Playlist ($2), that can be used to sort of work around this, although it’s not nearly as efficient as using a Smart Playlist directly. What the Video Playlist app allows you to do is to import videos from a Smart Playlist or normal Playlist and then play them back in sequence from directly within the app. While you would need to update the playlist manually whenever you load the app, you can do this pretty quickly from your existing Smart Playlist, and the app provides options for both shuffling videos randomly or repeating the playlist. A free, ad-supported version, Video Playlist Lite is also available.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Report: Developers losing interest in making watchOS apps
- Source: New AI set to give Siri a massive improvement
- India officially rejects Apple’s bid to sell used iPhones
- Apple’s new ‘Echo rival’ may feature a camera
- Apple ‘working rapidly’ to extend Apple Pay to more countries
- Report: Apple’s Siri-based Amazon Echo competitor will be a new Apple TV
- Report: Apple SVP Eddy Cue proposed bid to buy Time Warner
- Beta testing for Pokémon GO begins in the U.S.
- Apple’s plan to open stores in India hits a snag (Update: India’s finance minister ratifies ruling)
- Apple looking into charging stations for electric cars
- OtterBox Symmetry Series Hybrid Case for 12.9” iPad Pro
- Logitech Logi BASE Charging Stand for iPad Pro
- Twelve South TimePorter for Apple Watch
- August Doorbell Cam
- August Smart Lock HomeKit enabled + Smart Keypad
- ecobee3 HomeKit-enabled smart Wi-Fi thermostat
- Zagg Now Cam
- Yantouch EyE Portable Wireless Speaker
- Netatmo Wind Gauge
- Incipio Stashback for iPhone 6/6s
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 9.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.3
- Opinion: Why Apple needs a dedicated HomeKit app
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)