Video podcasts on older iPods
Q: is it possible to get the audio extracted from video podcasts so I can play it on my video-incapable iPod Photo?
A: Sure! As video podcasts are unprotected video files, you’re free to do with them as you please. All that’s needed is a piece software capable of extracting the audio track of a video file into an iTunes-compatible format.
As this site deals with many users from both Windows and PC environments, we tend to recommend QuickTime Pro (Apple, $29.99). With this program, here’s how to extract the audio:
1) Drag a file out of iTunes onto your Desktop.
2) Open the file using QuickTime Pro.
3) Choose “Export…” from the “File” menu.
4) From the “Export” pull-down menu, select either “Sound to AIFF” or “Sound to Wave.”
5) Select a file name, and click “Save.”
Next, drag this newly-created audio file back into iTunes to add it to your library. If you’d like, you can then use iTunes’ built-in conversion features to create a smaller AAC or MP3 compressed audio file, so the podcast uses less disk space. Simply choose the format in iTunes’ Importing preferences, and right click on the file to select “Convert Selection to AAC.”
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Revamped Apple music service not coming until WWDC; new Apple TV later this year?
- Larger iPad production delayed until later this year, USB 3.0 ports to be added?
- Apple, others likely to reach $415M settlement in poaching lawsuit [Update: settlement approved]
- Apple and HBO in talks for ‘HBO Now’ service launch
- Report: Next-gen ‘iPhone 6s’ to feature 2GB RAM, Apple SIM
- Apple looking to settle with electric car battery company
- Apple pushing out fix next week for ‘FREAK’ security flaw
- Report: Apple Watch retail strategy aims to push iPhone sales
- Apple back on top in phone sales for first time since 2011
- Phishing scam targets iCloud credentials of iOS device theft victims
- Gumdrop Cases Drop Tech Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Uniq Aircraft+ for iPhone 6
- Speck MightyShell + Faceplate for iPhone 6 Plus
- Mobile Home Siri remote
- Olloclip Macro 3-in-1 Lens, Telephoto + CPL Lens for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- ExoLens Professional Photography System for iPhone 6
- Incipio offGRID Shine for iPhone 6
- Seidio Obex for iPhone 6
- RooCase GlacialTough for iPhone 6 Plus, VersaTough for iPhone 6 + 6 Plus
- CM4 Q Card Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?
- How do I consolidate iTunes purchases into a single account?
- How can I more easily Handoff a web page from my Mac to my iPhone?