Viewing iPod menus on a TV screen
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: Currently my 80Gb is connected to my hi-fi and TV using a docking station. Photos, videos and music play well. My problem is when selecting tracks to play music, due to the size of the iPod screen I have to walk right up to it to select a track. Is there a way to have this displayed on the TV so I can easily control it with the remote of the docking station?
A: Although the iPod itself doesn’t provide any ability to output its own menus onto a TV screen directly, there are a couple of third-party dock accessories that do provide this capability.
THe two specific options that have been reviewed by iLounge are the DLO HomeDock Deluxe Entertainment Dock (iLounge rating: B) and the Griffin TuneCenter Home Media Center for iPod (iLounge rating: B). Both of these docks provide on-TV menuing for music browsing, and the DLO model now provides this capability for browsing the iPod video library as well.
The other option, of course, is to pick up a device such as the Apple TV (iLounge rating: B), which will instead either stream your iTunes library from your computer, or synchronize some or all of it to your its local hard drive for playback without the requirement for the back-end iTunes library computer to be left on.
However, at half the price of an Apple TV, and the ability to output their signal to a standard (non-HD) TV, the DLO and Griffin docks are a reasonable alternative to simply facilitate the use of the iPod as a music playback device.
You can find more specific information in our Reviews of Docks with On-TV Menuing
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- iDevices adds dynamic automation, enhanced scheduling to ‘Connected’ app for HomeKit
- Apple reports that iOS 10.2.1 significantly reduces unexpected iPhone 6s shutdown issues
- Mobiata announces sunset of FlightTrack 5 and FlightBoard apps
- Harman announces first Wireless CarPlay implementation
- Report: Apple still considering several possible wireless charging solutions for ‘iPhone 8’
- Mini Metro adds Endless Mode
- Apple issues statement opposing Trump administration’s rescission of transgender rights
- ResearchKit study conducted using Apple Watch reveals new insights into seizures
- Instagram adds ability to include up to 10 photos or videos in a single post
- Facebook’s talks with MLB raise possibility that game streams could come to Apple TV
- PureGear PureSwitch HomeKit-enabled Wireless Smart Plug
- 1More Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones
- Revogi Smart Lightbulb, Smart Lightstrip, Smart Candle + Smart Meter Plug
- Audeze iSine10 In-Ear Headphones
- MOCACARE MOCACuff Connected Blood Pressure Monitor
- Apple AirPods
- Elgato Eve Motion
- Olloclip Core Lens Set for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Logitech Pop Home Switch Starter Pack
- Elgato Eve Light Switch
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10