Viewing iPod menus on a TV screen
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: Currently my 80Gb is connected to my hi-fi and TV using a docking station. Photos, videos and music play well. My problem is when selecting tracks to play music, due to the size of the iPod screen I have to walk right up to it to select a track. Is there a way to have this displayed on the TV so I can easily control it with the remote of the docking station?
A: Although the iPod itself doesn’t provide any ability to output its own menus onto a TV screen directly, there are a couple of third-party dock accessories that do provide this capability.
THe two specific options that have been reviewed by iLounge are the DLO HomeDock Deluxe Entertainment Dock (iLounge rating: B) and the Griffin TuneCenter Home Media Center for iPod (iLounge rating: B). Both of these docks provide on-TV menuing for music browsing, and the DLO model now provides this capability for browsing the iPod video library as well.
The other option, of course, is to pick up a device such as the Apple TV (iLounge rating: B), which will instead either stream your iTunes library from your computer, or synchronize some or all of it to your its local hard drive for playback without the requirement for the back-end iTunes library computer to be left on.
However, at half the price of an Apple TV, and the ability to output their signal to a standard (non-HD) TV, the DLO and Griffin docks are a reasonable alternative to simply facilitate the use of the iPod as a music playback device.
You can find more specific information in our Reviews of Docks with On-TV Menuing
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple Store down again ahead of new iPad, Product(RED) iPhone launch
- Apple acquires automation app Workflow
- Nintendo updates Super Mario Run, makes more courses available for free play
- Apple confirms iCloud and Apple ID systems have not been breached in response to hacker threat
- Hackers claim to have access to millions of iCloud accounts, demand ransom from Apple
- Apple’s Siri in the running to voice control room functions at Marriott’s Aloft hotels
- Apple releases iTunes 12.6 with new cross-device movie rental feature
- Apple introduces Clips video app
- Apple reveals(RED) iPhone 7, 7 Plus models, doubles storage of iPhone SE
- Apple drops 32GB iPad mini 4, reduces price of 128GB model and discontinues iPad mini 2
- ExoLens PRO with Optics by ZEISS Wide-Angle Lens Kit
- Blue Sadie Headphones
- Circle with Disney Parental Control and Internet Filtering System
- Pioneer Rayz Plus Lightning Connector Earphones
- BEEM United BeMe D200 Lightning Connector Earphones
- Jam Audio JAM Xterior Max Rugged Wireless Bluetooth Speaker
- HiFiMAN Edition S Headphones
- Divoom Timebox Mini Bluetooth Speaker
- iClever BoostSound BTS-09 Bluetooth Speaker
- Soundcast VG1 Bluetooth Speaker
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10