Viewing only downloaded iTunes Match tracks
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: Using iTunes Match, I have managed to fill my iPad mini to capacity with music. I would like to remove some songs to free up space. The problem is that the iPad lists ALL music, whether on the iPad or not. Is there a way, without weeding through the entire library album by album, to determine what is actually downloaded to the iPad ?
A: Absolutely. In the Music section of your iOS Settings app, there’s an option to Show All Music.
Toggling this OFF will limit the content shown in your Music app to only those items that have been downloaded to your device, essentially filtering out both iTunes Match and iTunes in the Cloud purchased tracks. You can then go into your Music app and use the standard swipe-to-delete gesture to remove any tracks you don’t want.
Deleted tracks will of course remain in your iTunes Match library, and will reappear in your listing once you toggle the Show All Music setting back on.
If you’re willing to work without a data connection, however, you can toggle this even faster simply by switching your device into “Airplane Mode”—iOS naturally filters out any cloud-based tracks when you’ve deliberately turned OFF your data connection, and since you can toggle this pretty easily from Control Centre, it’s a useful shortcut if you want to quickly switch back and forth between displaying the cloud library or only local content.
Note that this only works when you specifically enable Airplane Mode, however—if Wi-Fi and/or Cellular Data are enabled but your device simply doesn’t have a data connection, cloud-based tracks will still be displayed, but will be greyed out and unselectable.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple Music to supply content to Musical.ly
- Apple now withholding royalty payments to Qualcomm as dispute escalates
- New Puff Daddy Documentary will be another Apple Music exclusive
- Apple releases fifth beta of iOS 10.3.2
- Report: Apple’s Jimmy Iovine still has ambitious video plans for Apple Music
- Apple executive talks using AI to boost human memory
- Apple rolling out ‘Today at Apple’ educational courses starting in May
- Smart home device maker iDevices acquired by Hubbell
- Apple delays ‘Carpool Karaoke’ release to ‘later this year’
- Dutch court rules Apple can’t replace broken iPads with refurbished models
- FABRIQ AirPlay and Bluetooth Alexa-Enabled Speaker
- Advanced Evo X & M4
- Advanced Mezger aptX Bluetooth Receiver
- iDevices Wall Switch
- iDevices Wall Outlet
- Koogeek Wi-Fi SmartSocket for Apple HomeKit
- Sony MDR-1000X Wireless Noise-Canceling Headphones
- FiiO i1 Lightning to 3.5mm Headphone Adapter
- Blue Ella Headphones
- Apple iPad (Fifth-Generation)
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10