Voice recorders for 4G iPods
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I’m in the market for a microphone for my fourth-generation iPod. There don’t appear to be many available. Belkin has three choices and they skip over the fourth-generation iPod. Could you please tell me which microphones will work with the 4G iPod?
A: Unfortunately, the iPod audio recorder interface changed between the fourth and fifth-generation iPod models. As of the 5G iPod, voice recorders began using the standard iPod Dock Connector port, whereas previous voice recorders connected to the remote/accessory port on the top of the fourth-generation iPod.
Since the 4G iPod was discontinued three years ago, this means that none of the voice recording accessories presently available on the market today will work with the 4G iPod. As a result, your only really viable option is to look around for older voice recorders that may be available from other second-hand sources such as eBay.
Some of the voice recorders that we have reviewed in the past that are compatible with the 4G iPod include the Belkin TuneTalk for iPod (iLounge rating: B), Belkin Universal Microphone Adapter for iPod (iLounge Rating: C+), Belkin Voice Recorder for iPod (iLounge rating: B) and Griffin iTalk Voice Recorder for iPod (iLounge rating: A-). Any of these options will work fine with the 4G iPod, with the only challenge being actually finding one, since these have been off the market for over two years now.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple announces iOS business development partnership with Deloitte
- Apple logs iMessage contact info, could be compelled to offer info to police
- Apple reportedly calls in hackers for meeting on bug bounty program
- Apple creating new London headquarters
- Honeywell debuts Lyric T5 HomeKit-enabled smart thermostat
- Executives talk Apple Music successes and failures
- Apple Q4 earnings call set for October 27
- Sonos speakers available on Apple’s online store today, in Apple Stores next month
- Apple lacks lobbying power in fight with EU
- Apple to offer ‘Spoken Editions’ of written content from top publishers
- 808 Audio XS Sport Rugged Wireless Speaker
- Mass Fidelity Core Bluetooth Speaker
- Thought Out Simplex Tablet iPad Stand
- SmartX Galaxy ZEGA Starter Kit
- Apple iPhone 7 Plus Leather Case
- Apple Watch Series 2
- iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus
- Twelve South HiRise 2 for iPhone + iPad
- Nomad Pod Pro for iPhone and Apple Watch
- Sevenhugs hugOne Sleep Monitoring System
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps