What to Expect: Stereo Bluetooth & iPhone 3G with iPhone OS 3.0 | iLounge Article

Article

What to Expect: Stereo Bluetooth & iPhone 3G with iPhone OS 3.0

By Jeremy Horwitz

Editor-in-Chief, iLounge
Published: Thursday, June 11, 2009
Articles Categories: Reports

Though a number of competing mobile “musicphones” have offered Bluetooth wireless stereo audio streaming for years, the 2007 iPhone conspicuously left that feature out, as did the 2008 iPhone 3G—surprising given Apple’s music-heavy marketing focus, and both iPhones’ inclusion of Bluetooth 2.0 hardware that could be used for monaural wireless handsfree phone calls. Some thought the company was planning its own proprietary wireless music accessory standard for the iPhone; other possibilities included battery drain associated with streaming stereo Bluetooth audio, or problems getting the feature to work reliably given everything else the iPhone had to do in the foreground and background.

Yet whatever the issue or issues may have been, Apple seems to have mostly resolved them in iPhone OS 3.0—at least, for the iPhone 3G. While the original iPhone is stuck with monaural Bluetooth telephone calling support, the iPhone 3G and iPhone 3G S gain stereo Bluetooth streaming and control capabilities with A2DP, a widely used Bluetooth protocol that instantly expands the universe of wireless accessories that users can choose from.

But will they work properly? Or with limitations? We have the answers: here is what users can expect when using stereo Bluetooth accessories with the iPhone 3.0 software.

* Wide compatibility. Stereo-capable A2DP Bluetooth 2.0 accessories have been around for years, and though there will likely be some exceptions, the iPhone 3G appears to pair with and stream to virtually everything without complaint. Pairing is handled through the same buried Settings > General > Bluetooth menu as before, with no differentiation between monaural and stereo devices.

* Near-flawless stereo music and app audio streaming from an actively used iPhone. The iPhone 3G sends a properly separated left- and right-channel audio signal to accessories, with apparent audio quality more often constrained by the speakers or headphones than the signal. Do not expect lossless-quality audio, but rather, very listenable wireless sound. The iPhone 3G will continue to stream iPod mode music even when an app is running, or stream the app’s audio, which means that apps such as Slacker Radio can perform through wireless speakers and headphones. Streaming will continue even when transitions are made from iPod mode to in-app audio, and in-app audio can overlap iPod mode music, as well.

* Seemingly flawless switching between stereo and monaural modes when interrupting music or apps to take phone calls. As with prior accessories, the iPhone fades out its music or other audio to play the ringing sound and then the phone call, complete with microphone support for the phone call.

* Small audio hiccups when apps launch, and infrequently mid-run. Very brief, split-second interruptions can sometimes be heard in playback when audio is streaming while an app is loading; iPod audio continues to be almost perfect when running even device-taxing games, but there are occasionally similarly brief interruptions. This will depend on the app.

* Small audio hiccups when toggling between multiple stereo Bluetooth devices. As with virtually every past iPhone-compatible Bluetooth accessory, switching between two different devices results in a brief audio stutter, but ultimately a working connection to the new device. The iPhone pauses audio playback—when possible, even in apps—when the connection with the original device is cut off, and the new connection is stable from the point you press play.

* Greater potential for audio problems after the iPhone 3G turns off its screen. Bluetooth streaming continues for several minutes without any issues, but sometimes will start stuttering for unknown reasons—possibly just a bug, or the iPhone trying to enter power-conserving deep sleep despite the audio playback. This doesn’t always happen and may be an accessory-specific bug.

* Limited accessory control of music playback. Accessories can include a play-pause button that works to stop and start iPod music—surprisingly even controlling iPod music when an app has its own audio—but their track controls do not appear to work, and they must include their own volume controls for non-calling purposes. The iPhone’s volume controls are disabled in stereo Bluetooth streaming mode, but remain in monaural Bluetooth calling mode; the iPhone’s on-screen track controls remain in stereo Bluetooth mode.

* Odd conflicts between Wi-Fi and monaural Bluetooth functionality. For reasons that aren’t yet clear, iPhone 3G Wi-Fi signal strength drops to 2 of 3 bars when in stereo Bluetooth streaming mode and becomes unpredictable if not unusable for Wi-Fi gaming, and drops to 1 of 3 bars when in monaural Bluetooth phone mode, becoming unusable for web browsing in Wi-Fi mode. This is the most serious set of issues with the new Bluetooth functionality, and it is unclear whether these are just bugs that need to be worked out, or consequences of trying to use Bluetooth and Wi-Fi capabilities at the same time. Notably, switching the iPhone 3G off of Wi-Fi and into 3G restores web browsing capabilities to the device.

* Monaural stays monaural, stereo stays stereo. The iPhone 3G will not send music to monaural devices such as calling headsets, or enable the typical “handsfree car kit” to function as a music player. It will enable AD2P stereo devices to play music for sure, as well as handling monaural calls if they have the microphone hardware to do so.

iPhone 3G S performance will likely vary from the iPhone 3G due to differences in both processing capabilities and Bluetooth chips; the second-generation iPod touch will also gain stereo Bluetooth functionality for the first time. We’ll have more to share on this in the near future.

« Weird + Small Apps 17: The Mini-Puzzle & Casino Game-Inspired Edition

iPhone Gems: Real Racing and Phaze »

Comments

Will the enhanced Bluetooth functionality allow a portable Bluetooth keyboard to be used with the iPhone?

This would be really useful if it did.

Posted by BigTram on June 11, 2009 at 10:27 AM (PDT)

While it would be theoretically possible for developers to write their own specific apps that use a Bluetooth keyboard by directly accessing the Bluetooth hardware from within their app, the iPhone itself does not look like it will support any keyboard drivers in the Bluetooth profile.

Posted by Jesse Hollington in Toronto on June 11, 2009 at 10:31 AM (PDT)

Has anyone verified that this 3.0 update does allow A2DP protocol and not some off the wall apple so called stereo bluetooth that will require one of thier products? In the 3G S specs it states Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR
and no A2DP protocol.

Posted by Nurc Diver on June 11, 2009 at 10:48 AM (PDT)

#3: See above. That’s your verification right there.

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on June 11, 2009 at 11:34 AM (PDT)

I recently had a chance to test out an iphone using the 3.0 gold dev release update. I cant seem to get the radio bluetooh to work in my car’s bluetooth hands free kid. I purchased the kit directly from Toyota last year and had them install it.

In the past, if i was playing music and it was interupted by a call, there was a chance that my music would end up playing over the bluetooth speakers. It pretty much showed that this was possible, but there just wasnt the option to manually select it.

Well so far with 3.0 gold release the option to select a paired bluetooth device doesnt appear at all.

Does this mean that radio bluetooh wont work with my bluetooth kit or anyone thats current in the market or is there something else im not seeing?

Posted by blkmagik on June 11, 2009 at 11:51 AM (PDT)

droping signal with BT and WiFi is normal - both technologies share the same chip, antenna and radio frequency 2,4GHz

Posted by Tomáš Kapler on June 11, 2009 at 11:56 AM (PDT)

#3 I have Motorola S9’s and they work great, with some limitations. I wrote a review of my experience with them under the main Ipod Touch forums.

Posted by Esoy on June 11, 2009 at 12:05 PM (PDT)

With Globalsat BTH-820 track control doesn’t work.

So, it’s useless having a bluetooth receiver when you can’t skip forward o backward songs, you only can play/pause

Posted by Gwydion on June 11, 2009 at 2:20 PM (PDT)

So, it has no AVRCP, only A2DP profile.

I can’t understand Apple

Posted by Gwydion on June 11, 2009 at 2:24 PM (PDT)

I think Im missing the point about the car kits? Can someone help me? Will Music from the iphone 3gs play through my built in bluetooth car player?
Please help me!!

Posted by Belinda Morrison on June 11, 2009 at 8:39 PM (PDT)

Jeremy, thanks for the info.

i’m assuming that you’ve tested this on the gold master?  if thats the case and AVRCP is not in the software…  i will not be a happy camper.

Posted by cantankerous on June 12, 2009 at 9:43 AM (PDT)

Hi,
I’m looking for an answer to that question on he interner for 3 days, unsucessfully…
Is the new iphone software application abble to send a contact with bluetooth, as most of cell phones?
It would be great for me to get that response
Thanks

Posted by Claude on June 13, 2009 at 2:51 AM (PDT)

I have a Kenwood KCA-BT200 bluetooth box that talks to my Kenwood KVT-514 DVD head unit.  Currently in iPhone 3G 2.2.1 firmware there is only bluetooth HFP, and no A2DP (as we know).  There is no ability to access the iPhone contacts or SMS functionality from my head unit…  These functions, however, work perfectly with my wife’s 3 year old Razr phone.  I think the Phone Book Access Profile (PBAP) and maybe the Object Push Profile (OPP) are required for this to work.  Any idea if these profiles will be included with iPhone OS 3.0?  I’ll be extremely disappointed if it won’t, as my Kenwood allows the storage of only 6 numbers.  There is no phone book built, but a bluetooth-transmitted phone book accepts 1000 numbers per paired phone (max 5 phones)...

Posted by David Arthurs on June 14, 2009 at 8:42 AM (PDT)

Thank you for the info, Jeremy. No wonder I visit iLounge every single day of my life.

Posted by iLly on June 14, 2009 at 10:44 AM (PDT)

Thanks for the info!  You might want to fix the typo at the end, where you call it “AD2P”.  At the beginning of the article, you have it correctly as “A2DP”.  I was unfamiliar with this term, so was confused when I did a Google search on “AD2P”.

Posted by Mike on June 15, 2009 at 10:19 AM (PDT)

Hi Jeremy,
I’ve some complicated scenarios on the audio output using A2DP, 3.5mm, and iPod Dock. May I know if you can tell me all of the results?  I’m planning to explore on that once I get my iPhone 3GS 2 weeks after launch due to sold-out stock in AT&T;.  I will make a detail review specifically on A2DP on YouTube.

1st: a 3.5mm headphone is plugged in, the audio comes out of the headphone. Next, connect your A2DP device to the iPhone. Will the audio come out to both 3.5mm headphone and A2DP device?  Can I connect a mono Bluetooth headset at the same time as the A2DP is connected?

2nd: Similar to 1st Scenario, but reverse the process by connecting the A2DP first then plug in the 3.5mm headphone, which device outputs audio?
Again, can I connect a mono BT headset at the same time.

3rd: Connect the iPhone via the iPod dock to a stereo system.  Play the music.  While the music is playing, connect the 3.5mm stereo headphone to the iPhone and play the music again.  Where does the audio output?  After that, connect the A2DP device, where does the audio output now?

Can we random access the audio output device among: A2DP, 3.5mm headphone, Speaker, iPod Dock?  If do where do we change the audio output?

I really need to know this because when I’m driving, my iPhone is connected to a FM transmitter via iPod Dock, so the audio must be output to the iPod Dock and not the A2DP nor 3.5mm headphones.  But when I’m at home, I want to randomly access the 3.5mm, A2DP, and iPod Dock for home stereo.

Does the new software support Bluetooth contact, calender sharing?
Does it support Bluetooth keyboard and mouse?

Thanks Jeremy!

Posted by squarejp on June 15, 2009 at 9:31 PM (PDT)

Re Monaural stays monaural, stereo stays stereo.

Mono Headset For Mono/Stereo.
There are some ‘mono headsets’ with support for both headset and A2DP profiles, e.g. Jabra BT530. I use this ‘mono headset’ with Sony Ericsson W890i. It allows me to make phone calls on phone and also I can listen to the ‘stereo mp3 files’ with the ‘same headset’. This is my preferred option as I drive a lot so wearing a ‘stereo headset’ is not an option. (Note, I listen to stereo mp3 when I am not driving the car as I have a decent car radio!). I know that there are other mono headset models also available that offer this feature.

Not the ideal solution for all but more convenient than carrying a ‘full blown stereo headset’, (with microphone support for phone calls), for to listen to the occasional music track.

Have not tried this headset with iphone but would expect that it would work the same as for W890i.

Posted by AN on June 16, 2009 at 11:33 AM (PDT)

The cause of the Bluetooth/WiFi issues is likely the fact that they’re both in unlicensed 2.4GHz spectrum, and on a device as small as the iPhone, it’s simply impossible to put in enough shielding and achieve enough path separation to prevent interference.  I’ve seen this with Nokia phones, as well.

It can even show up using Bluetooth and WiFi on a MacBook, so it’s unsurprising, and I doubt there’s much Apple or anyone else can do about it, given the form-factor of a phone.

The supposed lack of AVRCP is surprising; AVRCP works just fine with my iPhone 3G when I use the (unsupported for iPhone) Brandon Bluetooth dongle with it, interestingly enough.

My guess is that the keyboard profile isn’t supported because an iPhone 3G(s) would be a viable laptop replacement for a lot of folks who only do email, light Web surfing, and light IM.  A snap-on hardware keyboard via the dock connector would be ideal, however, if Apple allow someone to make one.

Posted by Roland Dobbins on June 17, 2009 at 2:01 AM (PDT)

Has anyone had luck with A2DP headphones on the iPod touch 2G?  If so, what headphones?  My Logitech headphones, which work fine on my Mac, don’t show up in the list on my iPod touch.

Posted by Nicholas Riley on June 17, 2009 at 2:17 PM (PDT)

I installed the Gold Master yesterday and tried it on my bluetooth car stereo… music plays great through AD2P.

I can pause it from my stereo, but not fast fwd or rewind… I’d say AVRCP is busted!

Posted by mmmmok on June 17, 2009 at 4:46 PM (PDT)

playing music doesn’t seem to work with the Philips SHB7100.  i’ve succesfully paired, can use it for calls, and can even play/pause music, but there is no sign of the bluetooth logo next to the volume control as per the pics in this article.  the audio just plays through the iphone’s speaker with no way to send it to the headphones.  anyone else have the same issue and/or have a solution?  or are they just not compatible?

Posted by nick on June 17, 2009 at 5:09 PM (PDT)

Nick - having the EXACT same issue as you. Going annoyingly crazy over here. Have a Philips SBH7102. Says I’m connected, and NOTHING - i’ve tried everything I can think of.

Posted by skaorsk8 on June 17, 2009 at 6:00 PM (PDT)

I have a Philips SHB6100 and I’m having the exact same problem as you.

I have no idea how to correct this, or if it is even possible.

Posted by Jay on June 17, 2009 at 6:06 PM (PDT)

seems we’ve narrowed the problem down to Philips, eh? So frustrating. What do you think we should tell Philips? Are we missing some key component of this protocol (AD2P?)

Posted by skaorsk8 on June 17, 2009 at 6:09 PM (PDT)

It’s not just Phillips.  I have a pair of KO 500 bluetooth speakers from The Sharper Image (RIP) which work perfectly with my Palm Treo 750 but…  My iPhone #g with OS3.0 connects/pairs fine then no bluetooth icon in iPod near the volume slider.  Further, the blue tooth icon at the top of the screen changes from blue (indicating a connection) to white (NOT gray) whenever I launch iPod.

Posted by plaskey on June 17, 2009 at 8:39 PM (PDT)

#16: I have the iPod Touch, but it should be the same; when multiple options are available you will be given the option of selecting which device to output audio to. This is seen in the second picture of the article.

Interestingly enough my iPod got stuck on “dock output” after I had disconnected it from a car adapter, and I had to restart to get it to work with the internal speaker again. Probably a minor bug. I have not tried the dock option since then, so I don’ t know if this always happens.

#19: it works great!

#20: I’m experiencing the same problem with track controls. I was assuming it was because I had a cheap knock-off bluetooth audio receiver (you plug wired headphones into it), but it might be a problem with the software now that I know others are experiencing this as well.

Posted by Ned Scott on June 17, 2009 at 9:46 PM (PDT)

im wondering

has anyone tried a iPhone/  iPod Touch with bluetooth to connect it to a Logitech Pure Fi Mobile. has it worked? it would be great if anyone has tried and let us know

thanks

Posted by John on June 18, 2009 at 3:44 AM (PDT)

downloaded iphone 3.0 O/S today…..finally iphone works like Nokia.
i am still trying to figure out how to play iphone music in my car - wireless.

it does not work with the car stereo in MB (altho if i have bluetooth)

do you know if it is because:
a) MB car stereo is not A2DP ready?
b) iPhone 3.0 just can not do that yet

steve

Posted by steve on June 18, 2009 at 5:58 AM (PDT)

My cars bluetooth will only operate with HFP v1.0 and OPP v1.1 can any tell me will the new iphone 3GS using the wireless audio work??

Posted by Bel on June 18, 2009 at 6:34 AM (PDT)

I just updated my iPhone 3G with the 3.0 OS. I have bluetooth capability in my car. I am able to do the hands free calling. How do i pair my phone to the car so that i can hear my songs through the bluetooth connection through the cars speakers? Does the car bluetooth connection specifically need to be AD2P? It is a 2006 Acura TL. Anybody please any suggestions ? Thanks,

Posted by Ash on June 18, 2009 at 7:25 AM (PDT)

download iphone 3.0 last night.
using my oakley pro with bluetooth.
works perfectly fine.

Posted by EB on June 18, 2009 at 7:25 AM (PDT)

I bet your Oakley pro will not skip songs - only play & pause, correct?

Posted by Tech Head on June 18, 2009 at 8:15 AM (PDT)

the new ad2p update needs bluetooth volume control!!!!!!!

since most bluetooth headsets are made to be minimal   they do not have volume control…  ie…  sony ericson Wireless Stereo Headphones HBH-IS800

Posted by James H on June 18, 2009 at 8:30 AM (PDT)

I use the Motorola S9 HD and the volume controls on it work, however it doesn’t adjust the volume on my iPod Touch - just the headset itself.

My beef is the BT Stack/implementation will not skip songs and is limited as I also can not connect my Anycom BAR-10 audio receiver to it!!  I use it all of the time in my car with a Sony BT dongle and looks like I will have to continue using it….

Posted by Tech Head on June 18, 2009 at 8:48 AM (PDT)

I have the iPhone 3G and just updated to the 3.0 OS and can’t seem to get the bluetooth to pair up with my Sony DR-BT22 wireless headphones.  If anyone has figured out how to make it work I would appreciate any suggestions you might have, thanks!

Posted by Jaja on June 18, 2009 at 9:41 AM (PDT)

Updated my 3G with 3.0, I can stream music and play/pause on my Sony car stereo.  No track skip…I don’t understand Apple.

Another issue I am having:
- My car stereo can do HFP as well but I’d rather pair with my headset.  When I go to pair with the A2DP on the car stereo, it boots my HFP headset and pairs with the car stereo’s HFP.

Posted by Rick on June 18, 2009 at 10:22 AM (PDT)

I’m with 33… Really happy with stereo BT on 3.0, with the exception that volume is disabled on handset. I have the Sony HBH-IS800 earbuds. They don’t have volume controls due to their size, therefore I get only one volume. Submited feedback to Apple this morning. Will see if anything comes of it.

Posted by J H on June 18, 2009 at 11:05 AM (PDT)

I have a pair of Jabra 620S Bluetooth stereo head set that works good with the new update.  Signal error every so often, it is worth it to drop the cord.

Posted by Lee on June 18, 2009 at 4:05 PM (PDT)

How about the option to choose a Bluetooth stereo device from the first generation iphone’s ipod now playing screen with 3.0 OS?

Pras

Posted by Pras on June 18, 2009 at 9:45 PM (PDT)

So a funny thing happened to me I’m using a pionner head unit in the truck and I have bt audio that I never could use so Im fliping thought funtion and see my phone linked to the Audio wow what’s going on music is palying and my phone is I. My pocket great update 3.0

Posted by Triplec on June 18, 2009 at 10:44 PM (PDT)

I have Mercedes in car stereo and cant play music through my stereo????

Please help.

Posted by tony neilson on June 19, 2009 at 12:25 AM (PDT)

I have an iPod Touch 2G. Love it. Bought a Sony iPod bluetooth adapter, got a pair of Philips Bluetooth headphones and have been using this combination for about a year, particularly at the gym. Works great, I can skip tracks using my headset, etc. I was always scared of losing the adapter, as I lost it a few times in the bottom of my gym bag.

So, I did the OS 3.0 update. And ... nothing. My Bluetooth headphones pair and connect with my iPod fine - but no sound comes out. So infuriating. I have repaired multiple times, the iPod shows they’re connected, but no sound.

Ah, I thought - a glitch. I’ll just go back to using my adapter. Except somehow, now, using the adapter with the 3.0 update no longer allows me to move forward or back on tracks, using the headphones. That’s ridiculous! I’ve paid $10 and LOST functionality!

I’m open to suggestions, from anyone. Thanks for listening (haha).

Posted by skaorsk8 on June 19, 2009 at 6:41 AM (PDT)

Well I did finally get my DR-BT22 Sony headphones to pair up (you just have to continuously hold down the power button while the iPhone is “discovering”-once it discovers it then tap the entry on the screen and will connect).  However as others are reporting I can’t skip between tracks now as I could before.  Pause works but that’s about it.  Apple screwed this one up royally.  Hopefully it will get fixed in a future update.  Wonder if you can skip tracks the 3GS?  If so I will be royally pissed!

Posted by Jaja Harris on June 19, 2009 at 9:25 AM (PDT)

My Bluetooth headset pairs just fine with my iPhone, and stereo music plays well with the iPod, and with Pandora. My problem is that the Bluetooth turns off when the iPhone screen turns off? Besides leaving the screen on all the time, does anyone know any settings that could keep Bluetooth running in the background? Thanks:)

Posted by Johnny on June 19, 2009 at 12:00 PM (PDT)

#10 #12 #41 and others…

Bluetooth Cat Kits come in two varieties: Low Quality Mono for Phone Calls only, and A2DP compatible for Music Streaming.

Most older car kits and many Factory Car Kits only support Mono. The iPhone will only work with these for Phone Calls.

Newer A2DP compatible Kits support Higher Quality Stereo streaming. These should work with Music on your iPhone.

A handful or A2DP-compatible Kits also support AVRCP too, which allows advanced track control.

Also note: just because your car is brand new, your car kit may still not support A2DP, consult your owners manual for further information.

Posted by Dan Woods on June 19, 2009 at 2:50 PM (PDT)

I second #44.
3.0 works with my plantronics 855 stereo headset, but turns off when the screen goes black. Without doing some hands on other application to keep the iphone from standby, I get 1 minute of music.

Posted by professorai on June 19, 2009 at 9:33 PM (PDT)

I tried my Lubix stereo headset on a 3GS at the Apple store. It sounded fine and connected/reconnected quickly. Pause/Play worked but couldn’t change tracks. On the Touch, I couldn’t get the Pause/Play to work.

Posted by Anita iPhone on June 19, 2009 at 11:41 PM (PDT)

I may have missed it, but will this work with the iPod Touch 2g? For listening to music and everything I mean.

Posted by Michael on June 20, 2009 at 10:32 AM (PDT)

#25… I have the same problem. My new iPhone 3G S will pair with my KO 500 bluetooth speakers from Sharper Image, but there is no way to play the music through the speakers. It just plays through the speakers built into the phone…  the KO 500 speakers work fine with my MacBook Pro, so I don’t understand what the issue is.

Does anyone have any suggestions or more insight into this problem?

Posted by Joe on June 20, 2009 at 10:01 PM (PDT)

I was just wondering how does the Bluetooth effect the battery life while listening to music on earphones?

Posted by Steve on June 21, 2009 at 6:49 AM (PDT)

Hi

Does anyone know a car unit that will take audio steaming from the 3GS, i have a sony mex2500 and this worked fine with my nokia N95, but unable to test with my new iphone, as also have recently swapped cars, annd am unsure weather to pay to have the sony installed and find you it doent work with the 3gs…...

went into a local car shop and blutooth picked up about 20 headsets, and an alpine cde-103bt but there was no sonys to test with….

help apreciated….

cheers

Posted by moogie on June 22, 2009 at 3:20 AM (PDT)

for what its worth, my Jabra BT530 headset works with A2DP on the iPod Touch 2G on 3.0 smile - its only a single headset, but its still great for podcasts

Posted by Andy Carolan on June 22, 2009 at 12:23 PM (PDT)

Another Philips user here - and disappointed, as well.

I have both the SHB6100 / SHB6102 and SHB7100 / SHB7102 (?102 has bundled transmitter dongle); in both A2DP will not work in combination with an iPhone 3G + 3.0.

In all the other scenarios I have tested (Philips headset + SE phone, Philips headset + Nokia phone, Philips headset + MacBook Leopard, Sony BT headphones + iPhone 3G) A2DP works flawlessly - it’s the Philips SHB?10? + iPhone 3G combination that does not work.

It would be great if you other Philips + iPhone users also report this to Apple @ their iPhone feedback page - they might just fix it since these headsets already work with Leopard.

Posted by Laurens on June 22, 2009 at 2:28 PM (PDT)

My problem is that my Kensington Stereo headphones are perfect for listening to music.  It’s when I go to streaming audio/video that I encounter a problem with the stream hanging after a minute or so of play.  This is particularly annoying when viewing MLB or You Tube videos.  In fact, this happens with all of my bluetooths.  Does anybody know what’s going on?  Is the iPhone 3GS correct this?  I just reserved one today.  Interested if anyone else is experiencing this problem.

Posted by Dwayne Kelly on June 22, 2009 at 4:44 PM (PDT)

Bluband R headphones work with music & volume but play/pause and skip do not work.

~42 I had the same trouble with using my old BT adapter safter trying with iphone OS 3.0. I simply turned off iPhone BT and paired my adapter with the headset and everythin g works OK again

Posted by Dave on June 24, 2009 at 6:02 AM (PDT)

I tried the 3.0 update with my Motorola S9 bluetooth earphones/iPhone 3G and noticed a couple anomalies.

1) The iPhone never presented the screen to enter the pairing code.

2) Initially, the iPhone did respond to the earphones’ play/pause controls, but after disconnecting/reconnecting, play/pause from earphones never worked again.

3) Track skip controls do not work from the earphones, nor does volume control from the iPhone.

A quick and dirty solution (if you have one) is to connect the Griffin Navigate FM remote. The iPhone will give you the option to continue playing audio over bluetooth, while the Navigate remote will handle play/pause/track skip.

Posted by Paul on June 24, 2009 at 3:33 PM (PDT)

#54. The Kensington bluetooth headphones work with YouTube on a 3GS.

Posted by Tim on June 24, 2009 at 7:39 PM (PDT)

The iPhone with the 3.0 update and my Plantronics 855 stereo performs the music better than the apple wired headphones also with the screen turned off. Pairs with out problem and at calls is very clear the conversation. It could be better if Apple upgrades the iPhone to AVRCP.

Posted by JB on June 25, 2009 at 7:29 AM (PDT)

Really need volume control to the bluetooth tranmitter.  Mp3’s recorded at high level play a with a bit of overload static and you can’t cut the input level to the transmitter. What is up with that?  Any work arounds?

Posted by lenny on June 25, 2009 at 9:46 AM (PDT)

I did not have any problem pairing my Motorola S9, but I am experiencing two issues:

1) While viewing video, there is a 1-2 second lag between the person’s mouth moving and the audio playing.  This is very annoying.

2) I experience frequent (every 30-secs) break-ups or skips while I am listening to audio.

I called Apple and the helpful tech-agent said he was going to report it to their engineers as a possible bug.  I plan to test out another bluetooth headset to confirm it is the 3G vs. the headset.

Has anyone experienced these two issues?

Posted by Jay on June 25, 2009 at 11:55 AM (PDT)

@Jay
Yes and yes.  I am seeing that in the Sync system in my car.  Was hoping it was a sync issue.

Posted by Chris on June 25, 2009 at 9:19 PM (PDT)

Hi to all.
Well here it is im one of the lucky ones to have an Iphone 3G-S I had 2 stereo bluetooth headset in their boxes for 2 years now never used them.
So i went itno my closet and decided to pairthem to my iphone and to my surprise they worked beautiful the problem is that eventhough the headset has it’s own contols Vol, Back, Foward On/Off the only buttons that work on the phone from the headset are the Vol, controls. It there anyway or settings i can do on the Iphone 3G-S to change the fact.
Please let me know it is important to discover this.
Oh by the way these are no name brand but i,ve used it on other phones and all buttons work.
Thanks

Posted by German Isales on June 26, 2009 at 1:44 PM (PDT)

hi pls help me to pair my jabra620bluetooth headset in my new iphone3g ver3.0 pls pls

Posted by alan d.prowel on June 27, 2009 at 2:20 AM (PDT)

I have a Iphone 3G and have not upgraded to the 3.0 yet.  Using the BT530.  1) will the BT530 play music?  Currently pre 3.0 it does not.
2) I have trouble with not being able to talk while the other person is talking on the BT530.  Has that been correctly with the 3.0?  Thanks

Posted by CrazyKZ on June 27, 2009 at 3:15 PM (PDT)

Does anyone have any good quality Bluetooth Stereo Headphone for the 3Gs?? i am looking into getting one for my iphone, and dont know which one to choose from..Any ideas would be GREAT!!!

Posted by eddie on June 27, 2009 at 3:42 PM (PDT)

When you pair initially with the ipod/ipone make sure your wireless is turned off or the unit will not pair. There should be no wireless issues once they are paired.

Posted by robert on June 28, 2009 at 8:15 AM (PDT)

Thank you robert (mess.#66) your tip about turning off wifi b4 pairing bluetooth solved my connection issues.
Still wish forward/back worked though…maybe in another update.

Posted by Pat on June 29, 2009 at 2:01 PM (PDT)

Jay -  the 1 to 2 sec audio on movies or Apps can be fixed if you change to speakers & back to S9 headset Audio during the movie.

My problem With the S9 & ipodtouch2g is the volume, I know we can’t change tracks but the first time I pair them volume worked fine, then the next day I try to volum down & I couldn’t , not since.  It might be something about Wifi & Bluetooth at the same time.

Any suggestions are welcome.

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Posted by Nekbeth on June 29, 2009 at 10:26 PM (PDT)

Bought a Motorola HT-820 headset for my iPod Touch and it works very well.

Can’t change tracks from the headset, but at least i’m not catching wires on the gymn equipment any more.

Good sound and no hiss.

Posted by Anthony Hunt on June 30, 2009 at 5:00 AM (PDT)

Odd problem:
I got the iphone 3g 45 days ago and then was allowed to upgrade to the 3gS. here is the problem:

When I upgraded my 3g to OS 3.0, the A2DP was a GREAT update and worked flawlessly with my car stereo. I traded my 3g in for the 3gs and the A2DP does not work. it shows that the iphone 3gs is paired but it never connects.

Did they use a different chip/driver or ????? in the new 3gS and has anyone else had a problem with this feature?

Posted by Michael Ponzio on July 1, 2009 at 4:15 PM (PDT)

Hi All,

I dont know if i have missunderstood but isn´t it possible to ex. send images via bluetooth with new 3.0???
From one iPhone3G to other device?????

Posted by Gulfaz Khan on July 2, 2009 at 1:35 AM (PDT)

thanks you information ..

Posted by iskandar on July 2, 2009 at 3:18 AM (PDT)

Anyone have any replys to #64?

Posted by CrazyKZ on July 4, 2009 at 2:27 PM (PDT)

Hi,  re q. 21-24, we’ve established that some bluetooth adaptors won’t work properly with the iPhone 3.0.  Can anyone advise what makes the “Audio Device” window (see top image) pop up?  If there is some sequence of actions which did that, maybe we’d be able to select the BT device rather than use the speaker? Thanks for help on that.

Alternatively, what A2DP devices (ideally ones that let you use your own headphones) really do let you stream iPod output to them?  I’m not keen to switch as the Philips were not cheap, but I’ll do it if I have to.

Thank you.  peter

Posted by Peter on July 6, 2009 at 3:32 AM (PDT)

RE: #64 I finally upgraded to 3.0. I have the Jabra BT530. Music now plays perfectly through it; the sound on calls is clearer on both ends; and I have full-duplex on calls(finally).

Everything seems to be working great now, thanks to the 3.0.

Posted by CrazyKZ on July 9, 2009 at 8:13 PM (PDT)

alot of the car kits don’t work well with smart phones on anykid. wm black berry ect.  i have tried iphone and wm6 phone with 2 diffent car kits pionner and a jvc kit. and either one works. after downloading software for jetwaremobile i got the wm6 to work somewhat.  the best thing to do for alot of car kits is to just hook into the aux jack if avabile

Posted by cj on July 14, 2009 at 12:56 PM (PDT)

Actually, the iPhone 3GS bluetooth is NOT working properly for way too many bluetooth accessories as many forum complaints attest.  I have a pair of Sharper Image KO 500 bluetooth speakers that work without a glitch with my wife’s Blackberry but won’t work on my new iPhone!  I even took the speakers to the Apple store and they basically acknowledged that Apple had not tested its phone for bluetooth speakers…  What a disappointment.

Posted by torbee on July 15, 2009 at 8:17 PM (PDT)

A2DP without AVRCP is practically pointless. Why does Apple keep punting on details like this?

Posted by Herr Doktor on July 22, 2009 at 12:37 PM (PDT)

With the iphone 3gs or the iphone 3g software version 3.0 can i transfer images, contacts and other files to other phones and laptop devices as i would with cellphones of other companies?

Posted by Ruu on July 23, 2009 at 10:36 AM (PDT)

I LOVE LOVE my new iphone 3gs but hate the stereo bluetooth!!! In my brand new car the bluetooth for phone calls is great but it will not pick up the stereo bluetooth for music how DUMMMMM. If it works on calls it should work on stereo as well. I hope apple looks at all the other phones out there that work through car stereo bluetooth.

Posted by Bel on July 24, 2009 at 10:09 PM (PDT)

I just went to try an 3GS/Touch as I use a Walkman 16GB A829 with my SE 570/580 BT headphones which work perfectly via AD2P/AVRCP with full control.

Sound quality was great & as good as through my A829 (regarded as one of the best players for SQ), but with no skip controls its nearly useless.

With the Touch I couldn’t skip/play/pause but with the 3GS only the skip FWD/BKW didn’t work. Volume worked with both.

Posted by psikey on July 27, 2009 at 5:11 AM (PDT)

#25.  I have the same problem.  I own a pair of Sharper Image KO500 bluetooth speakers.  They work without a hitch using a Blackberry but I can’t get them to work with the iPhone 3GS.  The iPhone is able to pair and recognize the speakers but the sound only comes out of the iPhone speakers…

Posted by Vic on July 28, 2009 at 1:47 PM (PDT)

Same probs with KO500 and iPhone 3G. DOES ANYBODY KNOW HOW TO GET THESE TWO TO WORK? for that matter, I can’t get any of my PCs to transmit a signal to the KO500’s either. I’ve had success with my MacG5 and my Verizon Mobile PC… Needless to say, this seems to be more of a KO500 problem than a iPhone 3G. I just expect better from Apple/iPhone.

Posted by Jeff on August 6, 2009 at 7:30 AM (PDT)

I want to get my cousin to start running with me, and I have a great app I’ve been using on my new iphone 3gs, the problem is he does not have a touch or iphone, so is there no way to share the audio output to him? From what I’ve seen its a big no.  Is there anything in the jailbreak area to solve this problem maybe?

Posted by Ryan Couch on August 11, 2009 at 8:21 AM (PDT)

I have a problem connecting my iPhone 3.0 to my BT Tokai 350 car stereo. It pairs but never discover any services. At one point it showed “Handsfree not connected” but the rest of my tries nothing. Worked flawlessly with A2DP and my HTC touch Diamond. Out of my 4 BT devices I have only managed to connect to my Jabra JX10. That is not good enough.

Posted by Jacob Schou on August 16, 2009 at 11:28 AM (PDT)

Same problem with KO500. Someone…please figure this out.

Posted by ROkoji on August 23, 2009 at 12:29 AM (PDT)

I am interested in buying a Jabra SP700 BT speaker / FM transmitter.

Not only for phone calls but also to play the voice instructions from Copilot8 sat nav on iPhone 3GS via the car stereo (using Fm transmitter).

Does anyone know if this is possible?

Posted by Andy on September 3, 2009 at 3:28 AM (PDT)

Has someone tried the new kit nokia ck 100 ?
It is possible to use with ad2p for audio stream.

nokia-car-kit-ck-100

I think this product will work with Iphone 3G and 3GS perfectly

Someone tried?

Posted by Manuel Pardo on September 21, 2009 at 3:55 PM (PDT)

My wife uses a Blackberry Curve 8300.  It is a couple years old but it synchs and plays music via bluetooth through to our bluetooth speakers (a pair of KO500 from Sharper Image) while my iPhone 3GS does not!
Blackberry’s bluetooth protocol is A2DP (stereo audio) and AVCRP (not sure what that is).  iPhone seems to be using A2DP and some other protocol which may explain why it won’t synch with my speakers.  Beware before you buy!

Posted by Vic on November 12, 2009 at 5:13 PM (PDT)

Hi, I am very confused now. When I got my 3GS phone it connected to my sony BT MEX 5000 unit and the next and previous track funtion was available from the head unit. I then had a problem with the phone and Aplle send me a new one. This was prior to the 3.1 update. This new phone would not work with next or previous track so I waited for the 3.1 update and also the newest 3.1.2 update in the hope that this would fix this. It did not. I am know taking my phone in to send to apple for repair.However a lot of peopple are suggesting this function never worked. Are there any users out there that do have next/previous track working from the head unit?

many thanks

Posted by max on November 13, 2009 at 4:23 AM (PDT)

Having BT issue (yes Apple, it IS an issue!)with newest 32GB, 3rd gen ipod Touch. Using Sony Ericsson stereo BT headset: HBH-DS220. When paired with the new, $300.00, latest firmware, supposedly whiz-bang itouch, you cannot control the volume!! At all. Not with the ipod screen. Not using the side hard button controls. Not even if plugging the white Apple cord with volume/mic feature into the HBH BT device, instead of it’s oem stereo earbuds. The sound just comes out of any earbuds attached to Sony/Ericsson HBH way too loud. Even if before pairing I turn the music volume down, way down. This is with the latest 3.1.2 update. Infuriatingly, Apple support site about no volume control and the other issues when using BT headset says: “this is not an issue” with your ipod or iphone, the fact that some features no longer work after firmware updates(!) is merely due to Apple “conforming to industry BT standards.” Way to conform. Funny how others in industry conform with better results.
My Palm TX, Centro, and other devices are seemingly built to real-world industry standards, even if I have to purchase legal, 3rd party AVRCP software, and I can adjust their volume in several ways when I play music via BT through my Sony/Ericsson HBH-DS220 earbuds.

Get real Apple, get this fixed. I can’t believe AVRCP is not part of this pricey ipod. A2DP alone is a half-measure in this day and age. That I would literally go deaf if I wanted to use them anyway, without volume adjust much less the missing track skipping, etc. is plain unacceptable. This is not the fault of the Sony Ericsson headset, it is poor development and premature release of BT by Apple. Either support it using real world “industry standards” or go to the back of the line in the BT arena. Which is where Apple is on this issue. Too bad such a beautiful, beautiful product has this glaring flaw.

Posted by ebrodie on November 13, 2009 at 11:13 AM (PDT)

OK, this is a really helpful thread but it seems to focus on connectivity with car stereos, headsets, and head phones. Am I the only one out here that simply wants to use their latest rev iTouch/iPhone to transmit iTunes, Pandora, and Internet radio via Bluetooth their home stereo? From what I can gather, the sound quality will be adequate for most of us and controlling music selection from your chair, not to mention not having to run to the cradle to answer the phone seems like a great set up. I’ve seen “bluetooth speakers” but those are dinky portable things, I want real sound from a real stereo. Does anybody make a “bluetooth receiver” with a pair of RCA jacks that you could simply plug into the AUX in of a stereo receiver?

THANKS for any tips, Anthony

Posted by azapplewhite on November 19, 2009 at 1:31 PM (PDT)

Anthony, found a couple of options as I am looking at the same thing. Check out Belkin Tunestage and Sony HWS BTA2W

Posted by JJ on November 30, 2009 at 3:01 PM (PDT)

Hi,

I have my new iphone 3gs. I am planning to buy bluetooth headset through which i can take my calls aswell as listen to music while i am working or travelling or in liesure. Could any one suggest me which is the suitable headset for iphone 3gs. I have been googling but couldnt decide on any particular one. PLS help me

Posted by Nish on January 1, 2010 at 6:33 PM (PDT)

I am having an interesting issue with my Kenwood KVT-514 connected to an IPhone 3GS via bluetooth..

If I’m playing music, and I am the initiator of a phone call, the music doesn’t stop on it’s on and, instead, streams and mixes in with the audio signal of the phone call at the exact same “phone quality”... I think the other person hears the music as well.. I have to manually pause the music to make a phone call.. And I have to do it BEFORE placing the phone call.. once I’m mid phone call, it doesn’t respond to my attempts to pause the music… Weird thing is that if I receive a phone call, it works as normal..

The other thing is if I place/recieve a phone call while I am NOT listening to music… the music will automatically “resume” as soon as the phone call ends.. even though I wasn’t listening to music to begin with..

Any insight as to which of the two devices is at fault, or suggestions on what I can do to fix these issues would be appreciated..

Posted by Eric Smiling on January 2, 2010 at 11:02 AM (PDT)

Oh… one other oddity which I would say the iphone is to blame for…  Iphone can only stream audio via a dock connector (usb cable) OR bluetooth.. not both at the same time; one cuts the other off…. so, if you have a unit that automatically syncs with the ipod via bluetooth, but plays music via usb.. if you plug in the usb cable before the auto sync happens on its own, the music will play.. but as soon as the sync happens, it will cut off the music.. and the only way to fix it is to go into the music player on the iphone and hold the icon and switch from the bluetooth device to the usb connector.. which kind of defeats the purpose of auto syncing.. what makes it worse is that this will probably be a common problem for aftermarket headunits and iphones… and will occur every time the engine is stopped/started…

Posted by Eric Smiling on January 2, 2010 at 11:08 AM (PDT)

I’m also having the issue with the volume being too loud when listening to the iPhone through my car speakers. The sound is so high that it severely distorted (of course turning down the volume in the car reduces the volume, but the distortion continues)—the issue is that the bluetooth output from the phone seems to be set at “max volume” and i have found no way to fix it.

Posted by Bernardo Zamora on January 14, 2010 at 2:40 PM (PDT)

hi did the i iphoen 3gs bluetooth can send songs or pic though any mobile phoen??????????/

n did other mobile phoen can send any thgs frm bluetooth in the iphoen 3gs??????

plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz help me.

Posted by jadil on January 27, 2010 at 2:32 AM (PDT)

HI Nick
I just wanted to let you know the stutter encountered when the iphone 3GS 32GB goes into sleep mode whilst streaming music appears to be specific to certain phones. I recently took my ipone 3GS 32GB phone into the surf. Before doing so the streaming was flawless. I have since been provided with replacement and I have encountered the problem that you discussed in terms of audio stutter when going into sleep mode. The interesting thing about this is that it is only sometimes. To overcome the issue I just plug my car charger in whilst streaming. Bloody frustrating though, I am not going to send it back and wait another 3 weeks. I am only hoping that this flaw is not indicative of other problems with the phone.

Posted by Michael Brown on January 27, 2010 at 3:35 PM (PDT)

I just got myself a Nokia BH-503 and have been using it on my Ipod Touch 2G Rev1 on OS 3.0. It sounds great and works flawlessly with songs and videos.

But i do have 1 problem though:
I also paired the headphone to my Nokia 7610.
Problem 1: When I do any action on the phone that generates sound, the audio from the headphone switches to the phone. To switch back, I have to go to the Ipod screen, click on the BT icon where the volume slider supposed to be, change the output to speaker and then back to BT. Audio will then switch back to Ipod, at least until i make more sound from my phone. I managed to apply workaround to minimize this switch by disabling all sounds, except for incoming call and SMS.
Problem 2:
When i receive a call, the audio switches to my phone as expected, but the Ipod music or video does not pause. And when i hangup the phone, the audio does not switch back to the Ipod thus i have to use same fix of changing the output to speaker and back.

Anyone else experience this problem?

Posted by Iskandar on February 15, 2010 at 10:51 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >